5'3" female REALLY REALLY need some advice about fitness routine!!!!!!!!!

Options
JessicaP327
JessicaP327 Posts: 64 Member
edited January 2015 in Fitness and Exercise
I'm 5'3" at 178. The ultimate goal is to get down to 130. I know its possible and its going to be a long road. Short term goals are to lose at least a pound a week............ I have been working out for 2 weeks and, not that I'm hoping for a HUGE decrease, but I'd like to see the scale move at least a pound. I don't think that its that outrageous to ask it to budge one!!! But its done absolutely NOTHING at all.

I've calculated TDEE - 20% coming up with about 1450 (I am going by 1400 cals) to lose weight. I have HRM to measure accurate heart rate and cal burn. I also measure everything I eat, log everything I eat. All the "homemade" recipes are my own that I've put into the system myself with the correct food choices. I've taken great care to be as accurate as possible.

My focus the last two weeks has been cardio. I alternate between eliptical and tred, about an hour between the two. At the end of the session, the HRM reads that in total the burn is between 500-600 cals. I do want to get into using the machines to work out specific areas. I just don't really know what I'm doing/ doing wrong to not see any result AT ALL and I cant afford a nutritionist and personal trainer!

I REALLY NEED HELP to establish a good gym and workout routine to maximize fat burn. Its getting frustrating seeing my 6'2" 243 lb boyfriend work out at less intensity and has lost 6 lbs and looking much slimmer in the same amount of time..

PLEASE PLEASE help, here or private message me. desperation status!!

Replies

• cheshirecatastrophe
    cheshirecatastrophe Posts: 1,395 Member
    Options
    2 weeks and no progress doesn't really mean that much.

Did you just start working out? A lot of times that can mask initial weight loss by causing your muscles to retain water.

I, on the other hand, am a faithful runner and cyclist. Even after sticking to a calorie deficit, it took me 3-4 weeks to see any difference. (And then it was a pretty big difference, which was nice.)

A pound a week is a nice average to shoot for, but weight loss doesn't work so neatly--especially for women. We bloat and deflate with water weight depending on time of the month, salty foods, exercise, the whims of the universe, etc.

Dudes often lose weight faster than women. It sucks.

Why do you alternate between the two machines? Most people would say to do one per day, to allow your muscles time to recover in between and prevent injury. You might also want to look into either adding strength training a couple days a week, or even switching some of the cardio days to strength! There are a TON of resources to get you started on either lifting with free weights or doing bodyweight exercises. nerdfitness.com, You Are Your Own Gym, Convict Conditioning...many many possibilities to investigate and pick something that fits in your schedule.
  • btsinmd
    btsinmd Posts: 921 Member
    Options
    Two weeks means very little. You are probably retaining water due to the exercise and maybe losing some fat as well and they even out. Stick with it for about a month or two, completely, and then look at your progress. Don't weight yourself more than once a week if the scale haunts you like this. Also, make sure you record everything you eat, even or especially when you overeat. Sometimes it can be harder if you skip recording to see why you may or may not be having problems.
  • JessicaP327
    Options
    ^^ Thank you. Actually I have been under-eating according to this with I usually don't eat all 1400 calories to begin with, and plus exercise, I don't eat back all the exercise calories. But I think possibly you might be right, retaining water. I've looked at the scale twice, once when I started, and once this morning. I don't think I'm going to step on any time soon.

Still, I'm wondering if there is a good circuit to do. I have to check out those above mentioned websites. I can't imagine 1 hour of cardio is necessary. I feel like you have to incorporate strength training. That's what I'm hoping to get from this post. If there are suggestions from people's experiences of an effective circuit.

Thanks for the advice, and future advice!
  • donnysoule
    donnysoule Posts: 1,185 Member
    Options
    you absolutely want to incorporate strength training. Remember, cardio burns calories while your performing it. Strength training burns calories around the clock and replaces fat with muscle (sort of), then, the more muscle you have, the harder your body works to maintain it 24 hours a day... after a month or 2, you'll be amazed at the progress you'll see in the mirror, and, at that point, who cares about the scale? Don't be discouraged and don't worry overly much about the scale. Do the right things and you'll see results. I used a workout app and a little internet research to set up my work out and I watch people at the gym and read up to tweak it from time to time and it's working great for me
  • Bellodesiderare
    Bellodesiderare Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    Have you thought about doing the 5 x 5 strength training program? If you're not comfortable starting out with that Bodybuilding.com has lots of awesome workout compilations for free, including tips and advice for beginners. YouTube & Pinterest are also excellent sources for workouts. I did lots of HIIT and bootcamp style workouts for cardio (as I HATE being an a machine; it feels so redundant) and I also found a love for long, slow runs outside. Lifting is my favorite form of exercise and I always shoot to lift at least 4x per week.

You can do this!! Biggest piece of advice: NEVER GIVE UP.
  • JessicaP327
    Options
    Thank you Donny that is pretty great advice. didn't think of it like that. I will certainly change up my routine tonight.

Have you thought about doing the 5 x 5 strength training program? If you're not comfortable starting out with that Bodybuilding.com has lots of awesome workout compilations for free, including tips and advice for beginners. YouTube & Pinterest are also excellent sources for workouts. I did lots of HIIT and bootcamp style workouts for cardio (as I HATE being an a machine; it feels so redundant) and I also found a love for long, slow runs outside. Lifting is my favorite form of exercise and I always shoot to lift at least 4x per week.

You can do this!! Biggest piece of advice: NEVER GIVE UP.

What is the 5x5 strength training program? I tried T25 and literally almost died. I will definitely check these other things out though. I need to incorporate something different. Actually, I don't mind the machines. But I'd definitely like to change things up a bit.
  • tiffanylacourse
    tiffanylacourse Posts: 2,985 Member
    Options
    Hey there! I send you a FR with a message - but in the mean time, we have similar stats and goals. I've been considering starting StrongLifts 5x5. If you have the equipment at home, or have a gym membership, I've heard it is GREAT. Looking for a workout/weight loss buddy? :flowerforyou:
  • SwankyTomato
    SwankyTomato Posts: 442 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Hey there! I send you a FR with a message - but in the mean time, we have similar stats and goals. I've been considering starting StrongLifts 5x5. If you have the equipment at home, or have a gym membership, I've heard it is GREAT. Looking for a workout/weight loss buddy? :flowerforyou:

I am also going to do the 5X5.

Taking cardio and all the other stuff is good but now I am coming up on 2yrs and the change is minimal. Plus I am at a "community center gym" which is 1 min. from my house, which is Ok but not you know.

I am going to change to Gold's Gym, I think.

I am just wondering if you NEED a POWERCAGE to start 5X5?

I am 5' 3" also!

• Bellodesiderare
    Bellodesiderare Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    Stronglifts 5×5 uses five free weight compound exercises: the Squat, Bench Press, Deadlift, Overhead Press and Barbell Row. You do three of these exercises each workout, three times a week, for about 45 minutes per workout. You Squat every workout, three times a week.

5×5 stands for five sets of five reps. These are the sets and reps you do on every exercise except Deadlifts. Deadlift is only one set of five reps (1×5) because doing more would beat you up. Plus, Squatting three times a week will get you stronger at Deadlifts since it works similar muscles. Unlike most bodybuilding routines, your goal on StrongLifts 5×5 isn’t to reach failure, get “pumped” or be sore. Your goal is to add weight. Here’s how: start light, focus on proper form and add 2.5kg/5lb each workout for as long as you can. This is the simplest way to get stronger – fast.

Read more: http://stronglifts.com/5x5/
  • suzywoo72
    suzywoo72 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    If you have humana insurance, Humana.com has a program called Humana Vitality. It's has a TON of resources. One of the courses I recommend is the Living Lean: Nutrition and Lifestyle Management course (10 easy sessions). The information has completely transformed my relationship with food (no more dieting) and an ability to eliminate cravings.

Human Vitality also rewards you for logging your exercise workouts. I got a new fitbit for Free just by syncing MyRunKeeper. It's a great resources if you have humana insurance.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,670 Member
    Options
    Stick to the basics: Full body workout. At least one exercise per body part and start from legs, then back, then chest, then shoulders, then arms, and last core.
    With many of my new clients, to build a foundation I go with:

Squats
    Leg curls
    Seated calf raises
    Pullups
    Seated row
    Incline bench
    Flat bench flyes
    Side laterals
    Upright rows
    Barbell curls
    Lying tricep ext.
    Crunches
    Leg raises

After a week or 2 of doing this, we focus on specifics.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • lovemylucydog
    lovemylucydog Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    what works for me is focused exercise about 4 days a week, sometimes 5. 3 of those days (with at least one day apart in between these ones) are in the gym doing 1 mile warm up jog on treadmill, a round of various strength training exercises (like squats, push-ups, sit-ups, whatever) then straight to another mile the treadmill at a slightly faster pace than my warm up jog (often I'll sub the treadmill during this second cardio round for a spin bike or that rotating stairs machine so I don't get bored), a second full round of the same strength exercises, then straight to another mile on the treadmill. I usually jog a bit slower by this time since I'm pretty worn out if I've pushed myself hard. Then I stretch for at least 15-20 min. The stretching part after is SO IMPORTANT and you HAVE to spend more than just a minute or two on it. Keeps you flexible and helps avoid pain and injury.
    As far as recommendations for strength exercises, most gyms will give at least one free orientation on the machines - and you can always ask someone who works there to show you the correct way to use them. They don't want you to hurt yourself at their facility, so trust me they WANT to help you. YouTube videos are a gold mine for info regarding this, too. Best use of time, especially in the beginning, is to focus on exercises that use large muscle groups - doing them at a slow-ish pace, never rushing through the moves. Honestly, hit up the Internet for the VAST amount of knowledge available there, find a trainer you enjoy who posts on YouTube and it's like having your own DVD set.
    The apps I use on my iPhone the most (other than MFP) are "Daily Workouts - Free" and Hot5. For my cardio workouts outside the gym I use MapMyRun.
    Last recommendation, depending on where you live there are usually a bunch of various bootcamp style workout classes that meet at local parks or community centers for very inexpensive. Often you can even work out a lower rate with the trainer of you explain your situation. The ones I've known have been so passionate about helping people achieve their goals that they have cut the cost just to keep the person from giving up.
    GOOD LUCK!!
    * also, DO NOT obsess over the scale. weigh yourself once every week or so, first thing in the morning the same day each week, just to keep an eye on things. If you're consistent with the workouts AND your calorie logging, YOU WILL succeed. I went the slow route because I didn't want to drop my calories much, but the weight has come off and I have enjoyed the whole process because I'm not starving myself. But yeah, I log EVERYTHING, even drinks when I go out with my friends.
  • 7elizamae
    7elizamae Posts: 758 Member
    Options
    I have had great success with my Jillian Michaels DVDs. Maybe try her 90-Day Body Revolution. I do one of her workouts each day plus another 30 minutes of cardio daily. It's about 450 calories burnt.
  • egirlcat207
    egirlcat207 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Just gotta say- I feel ya on the boyfriend losing weight and your scale not moving. hubs weighs less than I do and doesn't even do any fitness routines! here I am-cardio, strength training and treadmill-and eating like 1200 cal a day-hubs comes walking in-I lost another 5 pounds-really? lol..but I have to remember that are bodies are different in many ways-and I cant compare my situation to his. Totally second the strength training-just because the scale doesn't move doesn't mean my body is not changing. I could lose inches instead of fat. oh-and for me I cant weigh more than once a week-was weighing everyday-like multiple times a day-yeah-not good for me. some days I would weigh like 3-4 pounds heavier than just the day before! factor in lots of sodium-not enough water. Yes, its nice to see the scale move-but walking up a flight of stairs without a pit-stop is also nice.
  • vddamico84
    vddamico84 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Hey there. I am about your same height and shooting for the same goal weight. I run 1-2 miles every morning and do some body weight excersize.
    Also, maybe go to the gym with your boyfriend-it could be a bonding experience?
  • jmorin0110
    jmorin0110 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    donnysoule wrote: »
    you absolutely want to incorporate strength training. Remember, cardio burns calories while your performing it. Strength training burns calories around the clock and replaces fat with muscle (sort of), then, the more muscle you have, the harder your body works to maintain it 24 hours a day... after a month or 2, you'll be amazed at the progress you'll see in the mirror, and, at that point, who cares about the scale? Don't be discouraged and don't worry overly much about the scale. Do the right things and you'll see results. I used a workout app and a little internet research to set up my work out and I watch people at the gym and read up to tweak it from time to time and it's working great for me

Completely agree!! Definitely want to add strength training a few times a week. I have been doing about 25 mins of cardio (Zumba, T25 alpha cardio, elliptacle etc) then 20 minutes of strength training (squats, lunges, leg lifts etc) mixed with arm worksout with 5lb weights and the weight has just been melting off. I also follow a 1200-1500 calorie diet depending on whatever I have planned for a workout that day.

Also dont forget, muscle weighs much more than fat! Dont let that scale intimidate you!
  • JessicaP327
    Options
    Thanks everybody for the great advice. I am taking this evening to set up a game plan for myself for the upcoming weeks, trying to incorporate what everyone has suggested and tweek it to fit my needs and (obvi) ability level. As for T-25. I tried it, and it tried to kill me. I can't get into that again... not yet at least. Thanks again for all the advice and support. And also, we do go to the gym together, and you're definitely right, we bond over it. We also live together, so we come home and bond again over cooking delicious low cal/low fat meals. If that's one thing I AM good at, its recipes. So if anyone is in need, I can certainly help :smile:
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Hey, I'm 5'4" and I've been as heavy as 178, though didn't start quite that high with this app. I second the advice about lifting. I lost 25 pounds lifting on a deficit with minimal cardio, and I can't imagine how my body would look now if I had lost a bunch of muscle along with the fat. Just give it a try! You might like it.

How do you like the TDEE method? Just checking because you were talking about your calorie burns...Are you eating exercise calories back?

I didn't see if you were weighing your food on a food scale or not either, but that is important.
  • AbsoluteTara79
    AbsoluteTara79 Posts: 266 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    I'm putting money on retaining water. Your sodium intake is pretty high the last 3 days. Like 8k one day. That is going to mask weight loss for sure. If you want to keep eating that, you'll still lose weight, but you better reset your expectations to see way more scale fluctuations.

• JessicaP327
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »
    Hey, I'm 5'4" and I've been as heavy as 178, though didn't start quite that high with this app. I second the advice about lifting. I lost 25 pounds lifting on a deficit with minimal cardio, and I can't imagine how my body would look now if I had lost a bunch of muscle along with the fat. Just give it a try! You might like it.

How do you like the TDEE method? Just checking because you were talking about your calorie burns...Are you eating exercise calories back?

I didn't see if you were weighing your food on a food scale or not either, but that is important.

Yes, I do like it. I actually was advised that I'm not eating enough. I kind of figured that after netting less than 1000 calories after exercising but I didn't realize that my initial calorie intake is too low too, so I really do HAVE to start eating back the exercise calories, at least some to net 1200 cals at least. I do weigh and measure everything, and also I log EVERYTHING that I eat and drink. I definitely know that I don't drink enough water, that's something I have to work on too.