Share Your Amusing Gym Story

Options
danie0421
danie0421 Posts: 3 Member
edited January 2015 in Fitness and Exercise
I have enjoyed learning from everyone on the forums. I have an amusing story to share that many in the MFP community will appreciate and I can't think of better people to share it with.

Short back story: Thanks to the MFP forums I now want to try heavy lifting. I would like someone to show me the ropes. So, I went to a gym and asked to talk to someone about a personal trainer...

The man took me to his little office and asked what my goal was. I said, " I want to build muscle, I want to learn how to lift heavy." His immediate response was, "Oh no you don't. You want to lift small weights with lots of repetitions."

What?!?! Did this guy just tell me what I really want after I clearly stated what I was there for?

He also kindly offered to put me on a nutrition and plan and "ran through" the numbers. He suggested a 1,200 calorie diet! He actually waxed on about the filling virtues of celery. He then went on to suggest I actually do a 1,000 calories! WTF?!?!?

He wanted to put me on a cardio plan and pay for a personal trainer for three one hour sessions per week for 6 months! Like I really want to pay that much to have someone hover over me for cardio. Get real.

It was at this point I realized this guy was a drone. Needless to say, I didn't purchase personal trainer services at this facility.

Replies

• ines_a_crazy
    Options
    Hi!

That is, in fact, a great story to share.

Have you gone to other places?
  • danie0421
    danie0421 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    @ines_a_crazy Not yet. I'm not giving up. But worse comes to worse, I'll study some youtube videos and just do it. I'm scared to go the weight section, which is silly. I'll just do it.
  • asdowe13
    asdowe13 Posts: 1,951 Member
    Options
    danie0421 wrote: »
    @ines_a_crazy Not yet. I'm not giving up. But worse comes to worse, I'll study some youtube videos and just do it. I'm scared to go the weight section, which is silly. I'll just do it.

Smart move on your behalf here.

• donnysoule
    donnysoule Posts: 1,185 Member
    Options
    that's what I do.... I set up my workouts on fitness buddy by doing heavy internet research... then, over time and doing more research and watching people at the gym, I adjust my workouts. Has been fantastic and never a dime spent on personal trainers :-)
  • 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    Options
    Unbelievable! Find a woman trainer.

I had an interview to get hired as a personal trainer at a pretty nice local gym, but they gave me a guy as the test client and he was supposed to approximate a new WOMAN client with these various issues. So after doing a bunch of modifications with him indicating that he was only trying because this was a free trial (which wasn't part of the original profile), he finally wasn't doing a really easy (for a woman) range of motion and I lost it (:-/). I said, "A woman could do this." Needless to say, I didn't get that job.
  • shadowofender
    shadowofender Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    I went to my gym (A charter fitness so pretty basic) and was asking the trainers. I said "I know I have a lot to lose still, but I prefer to lift heavy" and the guy was opening his mouth and saying "well, that's not the best idea" when out of no where this 5'2'' tiny female trainer comes running up and goes "NO! She's my client".

I've been with her ever since. She helps me do lifting a few times so I'm comfortable with how to design a program, with what form to use, when I should be increasing weights, etc. And I do cardio on my own. I love her. The barbell is my favorite thing, and having a trainer that's so much smaller than me, but can outlift me because she trains with Olympic style lifting, is a huge motivator.
  • LeanButNotMean44
    LeanButNotMean44 Posts: 852 Member
    Options
    I went to my gym (A charter fitness so pretty basic) and was asking the trainers. I said "I know I have a lot to lose still, but I prefer to lift heavy" and the guy was opening his mouth and saying "well, that's not the best idea" when out of no where this 5'2'' tiny female trainer comes running up and goes "NO! She's my client".

I've been with her ever since. She helps me do lifting a few times so I'm comfortable with how to design a program, with what form to use, when I should be increasing weights, etc. And I do cardio on my own. I love her. The barbell is my favorite thing, and having a trainer that's so much smaller than me, but can outlift me because she trains with Olympic style lifting, is a huge motivator.

^^^I love this!^^^ Keep up the great work, shadowofender!

• klwells08
    klwells08 Posts: 158 Member
    Options

This is fabulous!