Only lose if I cut carbs below 100g

Options
the problem is I don't find that sustainable. And the minute I increase the carbs to approximately 150g I put all the weight back on. I'm very discouraged at having gained 2 lbs this week. CICO works for others but not for me. Anyone else in this same boat?

Replies

• elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options
    the problem is I don't find that sustainable. And the minute I increase the carbs to approximately 150g I put all the weight back on. I'm very discouraged at having gained 2 lbs this week. CICO works for others but not for me. Anyone else in this same boat?

Baring medical conditions, cico works for everyone.
  • girlviernes
    girlviernes Posts: 2,402 Member
    Options
    Okay the thing about cutting carbs is that it will cause a reduction in the amount of water you have in your body (water weight). Thus, when people cut carbs they usually will lose weight quickly. Then if they increase carbs, it comes back on quickly. But it's just water weight, not fat. If low carb isn't sustainable for you, stick to that 150g goal. You'll need to have patience and log accurately, but you certainly should be able to lose steadily. It just takes time.
  • Laurend224
    Laurend224 Posts: 1,748 Member
    Options
    Patience. How long are you giving it before you say it 'doesn't work'? Don't be afraid of an initial bump on the scale and give up. Give it some time. It does work!
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    Eating more carbs may cause you to hold more water causing you to think you have gained weight. CICO works for everyone barring medical conditions. If you think that carbs are the issue, I would suggest speaking with your MD.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Laurend224 wrote: »
    Patience. How long are you giving it before you say it 'doesn't work'? Don't be afraid of an initial bump on the scale and give up. Give it some time. It does work!

^^Smart woman^^ How long are you giving it?
  • allanakern
    allanakern Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    weigh and measure everything and counting calories will work.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,996 Member
    Options
    What do you mean cico doesn't work....... the only difference you've alluded to is you upped your Carbs by 50g's........that's 200 calories if your carb sources had no other nutrition in them. Also when upping Carbs water weight is a given and a week is not enough time to calculate fat lose.......8 weeks however might tell a better story. Switching back and forth never works out well, you for example suddenly disbelieve basic science.
  • princesspilar
    princesspilar Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I've never done that glucose drinking test but I have been diagnosed with impaired glucose tolerance - and just from reading online I do think I am insulin resistant. If anyone has any experience with successful weight loss in those conditions - I'd appreciate your suggestions.
  • girlviernes
    Options
    I have insulin resistance and have lost close to 50 lbs so far. Feel free to check out my food diary. Basically, I typically limit my carbohydrates from starchy or sugary sources (e.g., grains, pasta, potatoes, corn, candy, desserts, snack foods) to 30g per meal. I usually will have them during 2 or 3 meals a day. I generally have snacks that focus on protein and/or fat, e.g. protein bars, nuts, coconut flakes, although also fruit. My net carbs are 100-150g per day, although I have more if I eat out or go to a party. I haven't cut anything out from my diet, I just am careful to balance with fat, protein, veggies.
  • Zedeff
    Zedeff Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    I've never done that glucose drinking test but I have been diagnosed with impaired glucose tolerance - and just from reading online I do think I am insulin resistant. If anyone has any experience with successful weight loss in those conditions - I'd appreciate your suggestions.

Exercise is more important for an insulin-resistant individual than a non-insulin-resistant one. Keep up the CICO philosophy, but try your best to exercise in addition to achieving a purely diet-based deficit.
  • girlviernes
    Options
    Zedeff wrote: »

Exercise is more important for an insulin-resistant individual than a non-insulin-resistant one. Keep up the CICO philosophy, but try your best to exercise in addition to achieving a purely diet-based deficit.

Yes, make sure to do cardio at least every other day and start strength training. These really help the body process sugar more effectively.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options

Carbs love to leave us water. The only way you'd lose weight cutting carbs is if you cut calories too. :)

Calories in/calories out is the only way to lose weight.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    I would agree with the patience comment. My weight loss cycle is tied to my monthly so I really need five weeks to know if something is working or not. I get a spike up, then four or five days of loss.

I have lost eighty-nine pounds and I started out as a Type 2 Diabetic, now in remission. I had a team of experts helping me and gastric bypass surgery.

I found that even small changes - over time - had a cumulative effect. It might be as "minor" as reducing my snacking by 100 cals a day.