If you are going to input food data, do it right

Options
2»

Replies

• Tigg_er
    Tigg_er Posts: 22,001 Member
    Options
    Tigg_er wrote: »
    I use to think people were hitting the flags for likes, but you still have to use the drop down menu to select the flag. Everything seems to be flagged anymore.

And Yes I have no idea why that would be an entry.

I want their secret to a 200-calorie ham and cheese sandwich though

Me too, ha. Must be them little rye breads with a dab of Laughing Cow.
  • NoelFigart1
    NoelFigart1 Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options
    I am having problems with the bread.

• Tigg_er
    Tigg_er Posts: 22,001 Member
    Options
    ^^ thats it :D
  • weird_me2
    weird_me2 Posts: 716 Member
    Options
    weird_me2 wrote: »
    I think MFP also needs to give us the option to remove a food from the database if we enter it ourselves. I've always saved my personal foods for my use only, but the last few entries I've made have automatically gone in to the MFP database. I just entered one yesterday and looked at the box where you can choose to have it entered in to the database and it was NOT checked and as soon as I hit SAVE, the box showed as checked and the food uploaded to the MFP database. I don't think that every single possible combination of food from Chipotle needs to be in the database, which is why I created my own and tried to save it for myself only. At least my NI is correct, but how likely is it that someone will get the exact same quantity and type of ingredients and want to enter it in to MFP?

You need to manually check off the box that says to add it in the database; I've only ever seen it unchecked.

My own recipes show up in the database because I've inputted them in my own recipe section, but haven't marked them off for general use; if I search for 'chicken salad', my own recipes will be the top options to choose from, but someone else won't be able to see them.

I've never checked them, but the last couple of food items I've added have been added to the database. This last time, I made sure the box was unchecked, but as soon as I hit SAVE, the box checked itself. Don't know if it's a glitch or what. The first time I noticed one added to the database, I tried to go in and edit it to remove it and it didn't give me that option.
  • Christi102012
    Christi102012 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I really wish they would clean up the database and only keep "scanned" items in there, not whatever Joe Schmoe decided to add...

I don't remember what it was but I scanned something and the MFP data was still wrong. I ended up creating a new entry
  • jequirity
    jequirity Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    eugenett wrote: »
    myfitnesspal needs to improve the way data can be entered, it's too cumbersome at the moment:

1. Mobile editing of input data needs to be added, the only way I and many other users interact with MFP, not through the website
    2. Ability to upload a photo of a label from your phone for others/mechanical turk to process would be helpful as well

Oh my gosh! That would be food logging heaven. (*)

• peter56765
    peter56765 Posts: 352 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Things that drive me crazy about the MFP database
    1. Multiple entries for the same thing. Come on people. Look first and if there's still a difference, edit, don't add.
    2. Incomplete nutritional information. Usually just calories. Laziness at work here.
    3. People entering rough guesses for dishes, e.g. "Meatloaf: 500 calories" (usually it's only calories again). Please don't share this kind of thing. I just use Quick Add Calories and write in the Today's Food Notes when it's a WAG.
    4. Numbers that don't scale. "3 cookies (45g)". Well, I only ate one but it shows up as "1 cookie (45g)". Yeesh.
    5. The database search results should prioritize and flag items you've selected before. This would save everyone a LOT of time.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    peter56765 wrote: »
    Numbers that don't scale. "3 cookies (45g)". Well, I only ate one but it shows up as "1 cookie (45g)". Yeesh.

Yeah that's annoying. The app should be smarter and correct it to 1 cookie (15g). Although I love people who enter the weight in grams too, and not just '3 cookies'. That drives me nuts. I'm seriously tired of having to enter the data in gram for about EVERYTHING. At this point I just know the gram servings for everything I use a lot (jam, cream cheese, mustard, frozen veggies, whatever) and just don't bother correcting it anymore, it's just too annoying.
    When you see data that is entered incorrectly, correct it and mark it as corrected. If people started doing that instead of entering an all new entry or simply complaining, things would improve.

Amen. Plus it's less work. I honestly don't understand why there are sometimes 15 entries for the exact same thing. Especially as the app asks you if you're sure you're not making a duplicate. I just don't get it at all.

But yeah, everyone sharing their homemade recipes makes me shake my head. Nobody cares about your 400 calorie lasagna, people.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    The database is messy enough now that I'm looking for an alternative site. When I have to be googling in another window just to validate what MFP is saying, it kinda defeats the purpose of MFP...
  • Bry_Fitness70
    Bry_Fitness70 Posts: 2,480 Member
    Options
    I agree - if you are just going to enter the overall calories without any of the other details, that's fine, just don't upload it.
  • missiontofitness
    missiontofitness Posts: 4,074 Member
    Options
    I use to think people were hitting the flags for likes, but you still have to use the drop down menu to select the flag. Everything seems to be flagged anymore.

And Yes I have no idea why that would be an entry.

I want their secret to a 200-calorie ham and cheese sandwich though

Me too, ha. Must be them little rye breads with a dab of Laughing Cow.

Don't even get me started on Laughing Cow.

I have six containers in my fridge right now, haha.