Night Time Leg Cramps

Options
I open to suggestions on how to prevent leg cramps at night. I experience severe (wake you up screaming type) leg cramps three to four times a week. They cramp so hard my calf muscles are sore the next day. My doctor hasn't been able to recommend anything that really helps. Generally as we age leg cramps are caused by dehydration. I drink lots of water, I take magnesium, my potassium levels are good. I have even tried pickle juice as the alum in the pickling process was suppose to be useful. Calf stretches didn't help prevent although they are useful for working the cramp out. So shout out your remedies.

Replies

• shadowofender
    shadowofender Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    I get charlie horses like that when I don't get enough potassium. Someone told me once to get more in my diet and once I started watching it, it really helped. I see you get decent amounts....you could have a different eloctrolyte out of whack?
  • ptipton520
    ptipton520 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Thanks - my doctor said that was something we may need to look at if I'm still experiencing them at my next visit.
  • samantha1242
    samantha1242 Posts: 816 Member
    Options
    I used to go through this when I was a teenager. I had one so bad that I passed out! I never really figured out what caused them and they eventually went away, so I do not have much to suggest other then the things you have already considered (water, potassium, stretching). However, have you tried having a bath with epsom salts?

Also, did your doctor do any tests/assessments? Sometimes leg cramps can be due to blood flow issues.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Maybe try having something high potassium just before bed, like a can of V8 or tomato juice??
  • KiraJade88
    Options
    If you have someone around to give you a deep tissue leg message in the area that the cramps occur, right before you go to bed, it will reduce the risk of them happening. It's your muscles tightening up, ready to go into spam that causes the "charlie horse" so finding a way to relax the muscles is really important. When I slept after a workout, I would have my leg completely still for hours, and then suddenly I would move them, which would trigger the muscle spasm and swelling. The only thing that prevented it was deep tissue massaging the area right before bed.

Although... if that doesn't work... and you do get a charlie horse... immediately begin digging your fingers into that ball of muscle, and really massage it through the pain. I don't care how much it hurts. You NEED to really press down HARD in circular motions right where the pain is. It will get rid of it much faster than just leaning back and waiting for it to pass. Hope this helps!
  • elephantlovex
    Options
    I get them sometimes, but it's normally if I'm dehydrated or my electrolytes are off. Taking Aleve and stretching out my calves helps me a lot.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    Have you had your blood sugar checked? Besides the things mentioned above (dehydration, low potassium, etc) muscle cramps often are a symptom of insulin resistance.
  • Happymelz
    Happymelz Posts: 536 Member
    Options
    ptipton520 wrote: »
    I open to suggestions on how to prevent leg cramps at night. I experience severe (wake you up screaming type) leg cramps three to four times a week. They cramp so hard my calf muscles are sore the next day. My doctor hasn't been able to recommend anything that really helps. Generally as we age leg cramps are caused by dehydration. I drink lots of water, I take magnesium, my potassium levels are good. I have even tried pickle juice as the alum in the pickling process was suppose to be useful. Calf stretches didn't help prevent although they are useful for working the cramp out. So shout out your remedies.

Do you drink diet soda or eat things with artificial sweeteners?
    Artificial sweeteners have been known to lower your potassium levels and a side effect is leg cramps.
    *I am not a medical professional but this was told to me by a medical professional.
    I gave up all artificial sweeteners for a month and they went away, but now if I have a diet soda I will have leg cramps at night. And it isn't psychosomatic, because I've had them after I had a sugar free dessert without knowing it was sugar free.

Maybe test this theory on yourself.

IF you don't do artificial sweeteners it could just be low potassium.
  • atfirstblush
    atfirstblush Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I use to get them and when I stopped eating bread or a lot of grains they also stopped. I haven't had any in a year now.
  • evolution328
    evolution328 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    If not potassium, are you getting enough calcium and vitamin D? Low calcium can cause leg cramps also.
  • ptipton520
    ptipton520 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all your comments. Has given me some things to think about.
  • littlechicken_
    littlechicken_ Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    The best way to stop the pain is to grab your toes and pull back. I've also gotten them at night and they're the worst.
  • healthygreek
    healthygreek Posts: 2,137 Member
    Options
    Ever since my husband started taking 5000mg sublingual B12, he greatly reduced the number of leg cramps he got.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    ptipton520 wrote: »
    Thanks for all your comments. Has given me some things to think about.

Sounds like you have some questions for your doctor when you go again. Try the things you can do like additional potassium or B12 and staying hydrated (even lower your carb intake) before you see him/her again so you can give your doctor more information.

• tanowicki
    tanowicki Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Have you tried quinine? You used to be able to buy it from the pharmacy counter without a prescription. It's also in tonic water.

(standard not a doctor or other medical professional disclaimer here)
  • caryb2015
    caryb2015 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I've dealt with these since my growth spurt at age 12 and I'm 55 now. No doctor has been able to help but here is what I've been able to figure out over the years:

For me it seems to be related to foods that break down to sugar being consumed late in the day. This includes white flour or wine with dinner not only obvious foods like dessert or an evening sweet snack. If I do consume any of these things in the evening I can sometimes block the occurrence by eating a piece of cheese before bed. I suspect it's the fat content because taking my calcium/magnesium supplement before bed (one Dr's suggestions) won't stop them if I've made the wrong evening choices.

Also the more I walk during the day the less likely I am to get leg cramps during the night.

I've always been a person who drinks plenty of water during the day but I can confirm dehydration can be a cause for me as well. During the worst of my night sweats I would get the added fun of topping off a bad night with them by getting leg cramps before morning due to so much fluid loss overnight.

So I still don't have the absolute answer for me but I feel I'm getting closer.
  • Lambrah
    Lambrah Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    What about a heat blanket? Wrap it around your leg to keep the muscle loose?
  • lemon629
    lemon629 Posts: 501 Member
    Options
    The most common cause of nocturnal leg cramps is calcium deficiency. Take a good calcium supplement.
  • notallwhowander
    notallwhowander Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Maybe try stretching your calf really good? I have great potassium levels, but sometimes I stretch in my sleep and get a charley horse.
  • Mistraal1981
    Mistraal1981 Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    You probably need more salt. Salt is important, too much isnt good, but moderate amounts are vital for various body functions.