Need 1/2 Marathon Training Help

Options
SuggaD
SuggaD Posts: 1,369 Member
So I hibernated during November and December and was recovering for a few months before that. Before that, I ran 20-30 miles per week and could run 14-15 miles comfortably. I'm back running 3x per week. I have a 15K on February 7th (I won't rest for this one) and a 1/2 marathon on March 1. I ran a 15k a few weeks ago without any base training and my legs were done for the rest of the week (finished by sheer force of will). This week I ran 6 miles on Monday, 7 miles on Wednesday, and 8+ miles today. My recovery has been great after each run this week.

So here's my question. My plan is to have my last long run on February 27 (around 14-15 miles). What would you suggest I do for the next 5 weeks to prepare for this half? Again, I only run 3x per week (MWF). I cross-train on my non-running days (swimming, cycling, weights, walking). I have no goal time in mind. I will just do my best and finish strong. That's the goal. It will be my first half-marathon.

Replies

• _Waffle_
    _Waffle_ Posts: 13,049 Member
    Options
    Most plans have you tapering with your longest run 3 weeks out from the race. You could continue your long runs at 14 - 15 miles if you're recovering well and then start tapering them back the last two weekends before the race. The more you challenge yourself in practice, the easier the race will be.

Depending on how easy 15 is for you, there's nothing wrong with dropping down to 13 the next weekend and then going back up to 14 - 16 for a couple more weekends. Just don't do any training runs that take you more than 3 hours. That's pushing it a bit too far for your current mileage.
  • _Waffle_
    Options
    Or you could find an existing plan and try to jump into it double-dutch style.
  • SuggaD
    Options
    _Waffle_ wrote: »

Can you recommend one that isn't 4 days per week? When I was training for a half last summer, it had me running 4 days a week and I had an aggressive goal. 4 days is too hard on me. I have bad knees and a bad back. And I feel like I need more base miles than speed work at this point. I'm incorporating hills into my regular runs.

I was thinking about running 9 (M), 10 (W), 11(F) miles next week. Does that sound ok?
  • rmdaly
    rmdaly Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    Check out Hal Higdon's plans. I think some are 3x per week. Or simply drop the lowest mileage day and replace it with cross-training.
  • _Waffle_
    edited January 2015
    Options
    SuggaD wrote: »

Can you recommend one that isn't 4 days per week? When I was training for a half last summer, it had me running 4 days a week and I had an aggressive goal. 4 days is too hard on me. I have bad knees and a bad back. And I feel like I need more base miles than speed work at this point. I'm incorporating hills into my regular runs.

I was thinking about running 9 (M), 10 (W), 11(F) miles next week. Does that sound ok?

You're correct about the speed work. Totally unnecessary if you're still needing to build base miles. I got down to a 2:00 half by just increasing my miles. I don't think I did a lick of speed work in there.

That's 30 miles for the week. Not bad at all. I think it would be easier on yourself if you split up your mid week mileage a bit more by adding in another day. Running 7, 6, 6, 11 is going to feel like less work. If you did 6 miles 3 times a week and then kept extending your long run it makes the mid week feel easier.

http://www.halhigdon.com/training/51130/Half-Marathon-Training-Guide
  • lishie_rebooted
    lishie_rebooted Posts: 2,973 Member
    Options
    Most plans have you tapering with your longest run 3 weeks out from the race. You could continue your long runs at 14 - 15 miles if you're recovering well and then start tapering them back the last two weekends before the race. The more you challenge yourself in practice, the easier the race will be.

Depending on how easy 15 is for you, there's nothing wrong with dropping down to 13 the next weekend and then going back up to 14 - 16 for a couple more weekends. Just don't do any training runs that take you more than 3 hours. That's pushing it a bit too far for your current mileage.

Not the Hal Intermediate Half plan...
    My half is 22 Feb, the Sunday before I'm running 12mi, Sunday before that is 11mi, a 15k the week before that, and a 10mi run this Sunday.

• josavage
    josavage Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    Follow Hal Higdon. Because you don't want to run 4 times a week, walk one of the shorter runs. The important thing is to log the miles, especially the long runs.
  • _Waffle_
    edited January 2015
    Options
    603reader wrote: »

My half is 22 Feb, the Sunday before I'm running 12mi, Sunday before that is 11mi, a 15k the week before that, and a 10mi run this Sunday.
    True, but that plan doesn't have you running 13.1 until race day. She's running 14 - 16 mile long runs before the race so she should probably ease up on the long runs a couple weeks out. Running 16 miles the week before the race probably isn't best practice.
  • lishie_rebooted
    lishie_rebooted Posts: 2,973 Member
    Options

True, but that plan doesn't have you running 13.1 until race day. She's running 14 - 16 mile long runs before the race so she should probably ease up on the long runs a couple weeks out. Running 16 miles the week before the race probably isn't best practice.

Probably isn't but her goal is to finish, not PR.

Also, her OP says she *plans* to run 15mi on 27 Feb. Which is also 2 days before the half...
    I think that's a bigger issue than a 15mi run the week before.
  • SuggaD
    Options

Also, her OP says she *plans* to run 15mi on 27 Feb. Which is also 2 days before the half...

Oops. Wrong date. That should the Friday the 20th.
  • _Waffle_
    Options

Ah. I misread that. I thought she was saying she was running 15 miles 5 weeks out from the half. Now I feel like all my advice is terrible.

OP if you're running 11 this weekend, then just keep adding a mile or so each week to your long run. You should probably make your run the week before under 13 miles and take it really easy that week. If you're doing 30 miles a week you're going to have a great time on this race.