Why am I so hungry today!?

Options
Title says it all- just looking for words of incouragment. Rough day today feeling like I could eat a whole pizza and wings and french fries. I ate 2 scrambled eggs with 2 slices of ham with a cup of strawberries this morning, lunch was a grilled chicken thigh and steam brocoli (last nights leftovers) with a clementine snack inbetween with 2 cups skinny popcorn ( best popcorn ever) and I feel like I haven't eaten anything all day! I just want to order pizza and wings and pig out so I feel full :(

Replies

• SuggaD
    SuggaD Posts: 1,369 Member
    Options
    seems low on cals. I also find that adding whole grains to each meal helps me feel full.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    Some days are just hungrier than others. I don't have an explanation; that's just how it goes sometimes. If it starts to happen a lot then see if you can tie it to a specific habit. For example, if I have a protein bar for breakfast I don't stay full as long as if I make myself a green smoothie, even though the calories and macros are comparable.
  • SwtKittN
    SwtKittN Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    I agree on skinny pop being the best popcorn ever :) Maybe try eating some more fiber? I hate days where I feel like I can just eat forever and still be hungry. Usually happens on days I get up earlier than usual, puts like an extra meal in my diary cuz I'm awake and hungry when I would be sleeping haha.
  • emdeesea
    emdeesea Posts: 1,823 Member
    Options
    I am going to guess and say you probably just started this routine, am I right? If so, it does take a while for your body to get used to eating less food. Best thing I found myself is to make sure I'm drinking plenty of water or tea and just wait it out.

But you can kind of curb those hunger pangs by eating lots of protein and good fats - they'll help fill you up.
  • hnmcd42
    Options
    I know it sounds crazy... but fried eggs are more filling than scrambled. To me anyways... the yoke has great amount of protein. I love any style of eggs though lol you may have more of a preference. But, on days I feel hungry- sometimes I am just thirsty. I drink some water and wait. But pizza does sound good! LOL.
  • rperryspct
    rperryspct Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    The biggest, fattest, juiciest apple I can find usually does the trick for me...100-150 calories, natural sugars for energy boost, and lots of fiber to keep you full for a while. My only other piece of advice - eat another full meal of protein and veggies instead of snack...your calorie count will thank you later!
  • benno1978
    benno1978 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    doesn't seem like you've had a lot of cals so far, Id recommend something like a nice big steak sweet potato and lots of veg for dinner and have some fruit for dessert if still hungry. have you had enough water today? it really does help
  • StephJC81
    StephJC81 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Listen to your body. It's screaming for fuel! The healthier and more often you eat the higher your metabolism kicks into gear. Every meal/snack should have some sort of protein. That's what gives you that "full" factor. You should be eating something every 2-3 hours. But keep it healthy. Example..almonds, greek yogurt,hard boiled eggs, berries. Popcorn might taste yummy but it's just empty calories, there's no nutritional value there. Try and always have some snacks on you and make sure you're hitting your calorie targets. Good luck! :)
  • crocky64
    crocky64 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    hnmcd42 wrote: »
    I know it sounds crazy... but fried eggs are more filling than scrambled. To me anyways... the yoke has great amount of protein. I love any style of eggs though lol you may have more of a preference. But, on days I feel hungry- sometimes I am just thirsty. I drink some water and wait. But pizza does sound good! LOL.

i always thought it was the white that was protein rich?? is that where im going wrong?
  • jeepers39
    Options
    Are you stressed, overwhelmed, bored? Drink a glass of water before and after every meal, eat slowly...just some of the tips I try. Sometimes it is a bit of a mind game. Make sure you are eating enough of the right foods; protein/fiber combinations help me.
  • NiceSmile17
    Options
    emdeesea wrote: »
    I am going to guess and say you probably just started this routine, am I right? If so, it does take a while for your body to get used to eating less food. Best thing I found myself is to make sure I'm drinking plenty of water or tea and just wait it out.

But you can kind of curb those hunger pangs by eating lots of protein and good fats - they'll help fill you up.

Yes :) only in my 2nd week- thanks for ur help
  • SuggaD
    SuggaD Posts: 1,369 Member
    Options
    rperryspct wrote: »
    The biggest, fattest, juiciest apple I can find usually does the trick for me...100-150 calories, natural sugars for energy boost, and lots of fiber to keep you full for a while. My only other piece of advice - eat another full meal of protein and veggies instead of snack...your calorie count will thank you later!

I eat an apple every day. But it does the opposite for me. Makes me feel hungry. Have had to start eating it with nuts and cheese to feel full for a snack.
  • AllTheNoms
    AllTheNoms Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    Those days are such a struggle! At least for me, there is the fear that if I give into a certain craving and eat more then I will fall off the wagon completely.

On those days, I have gotten to where I make myself do a little cardio and then pick up a slice of pepperoni pizza from Whole Foods on my way home. It is 300 calories and offset by the workout so still end up on track overall. Also, buying just one slice to take home helps make sure I don't end up pigging out and doing a lot more damage.

Keep at it and you will figure out what works for you. :)
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    crocky64 wrote: »
    hnmcd42 wrote: »

i always thought it was the white that was protein rich?? is that where im going wrong?

Whites are protein rich. Yolks are fat, vitamin, and mineral rich. Lots of people find fats satiating, so the yolk can help with that.
  • kandeye
    kandeye Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    I had one of those days yesterday! I woke up and wanted to eat everything! I just ate an extra snack and then did some cardio. Today is my strength training day and I'm barely hungry. Go figure...
  • clambert1273
    clambert1273 Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    i say eat pizza and make yourself happy :) I, personally, am having Jason's Deli tonight.... :)
  • bwogilvie
    bwogilvie Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    Yes :) only in my 2nd week- thanks for ur help

I was ravenous much of the time for the first three weeks I was on MFP. After that, it got easier.

Unless you have a problem with sodium, try baby kosher dill pickles as a snack. I find them pleasingly crunchy and reasonably filling. Celery works too.
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    Are you exercising? If you are, you can eat more, so you'll go longer without being hungry.
  • avskk
    avskk Posts: 1,789 Member
    Options
    Don't forget about fats! Fats are so important for satiety and hunger hormone regulation -- not to mention flavor. Make sure your dinner has a good serving of healthy fats, and in future try to add a little to your earlier meals. Think a sprinkle of cheese with your breakfast eggs, a drizzle of good olive oil on your popcorn (or a serving of nuts tossed right in with the popcorn, it makes a delicious "trail mix" kind of thing), avocado with your chicken and veggies...
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    This happens to me. Every couple months I just get really hungry, I've gone on a diet break for a week or two which helped.