Runners High

FitJoani
FitJoani Posts: 2,173 Member
ok we know its been proven we know its fact that running can make you feel fantastic. as my dear buddies here know I have been kinda blue for a bit and over the past week I have begun my regular running and training. It has given me the boost I needed. It almost has completely makes my blues go away. I know they will be long gone in a couple weeks. If only I had the energy at 4 am to get up and go. I gotta ease into that one:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: But it will be worth it!!!!!

Replies

• FitJoani
    FitJoani Posts: 2,173 Member
    ok we know its been proven we know its fact that running can make you feel fantastic. as my dear buddies here know I have been kinda blue for a bit and over the past week I have begun my regular running and training. It has given me the boost I needed. It almost has completely makes my blues go away. I know they will be long gone in a couple weeks. If only I had the energy at 4 am to get up and go. I gotta ease into that one:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: But it will be worth it!!!!!
  • cherapple
    cherapple Posts: 670 Member
    There's nothing like it! Running makes you feel WONDERFUL. :laugh: I've had a bad running year this year, unfortunately, after a great first year last year, so now I'm taking time off to heal my body and I hope to get back into it in the spring. I haven't run in about 2 1/2 months, and I'm at the point where I'm used to not running. But I haven't completely forgotten what I'm missing! I hang on to the memories with hope.

It sure beats drugs for the blues!!!
  • aerome
    aerome Posts: 171 Member
    I LOVE running! I used to run the mile in track in high school. It's totally addictive!

But after I went to college I didn't run for a long time and when I tried my hip joints hurt for DAAAAYS! I couldn't even walk up stairs! So I'm into step aerobics now, to build up muscle and such. But I hope that someday I will be able to get out and go running again. :brokenheart:

Keep up the hard work!!! :wink:
  • I love running, it provides me with such a mental break. I have asthma so i have to concentrate on my breathing while running. This helps to eliminate all the noise in my head. Although other excerise like the eliptical burns more calories, running gives me the mental break I need after a long hard day.
  • cherapple
    I LOVE running! I used to run the mile in track in high school. It's totally addictive!

But after I went to college I didn't run for a long time and when I tried my hip joints hurt for DAAAAYS! I couldn't even walk up stairs! So I'm into step aerobics now, to build up muscle and such. But I hope that someday I will be able to get out and go running again. :brokenheart:

ME TOO ON THE HIPS!!! :noway: I ran for a whole year last year (including eleven races) without any problems, then suddenly a bunion I had had for pretty much my entire life got worse (I blame that on a winter spent on the treadmill), I had foot surgery to correct it (the correction was only partial), and afterward when I tried to run, I felt like I was 90 years old afterward! I couldn't even walk (still can't walk too much or too quickly without shooting pains in my hamstring). To make matters worse, my foot doctor had me on an anti-inflammatory/pain med for my foot, which masked the symptoms in my hips, so I was running my hips into the ground for several weeks and not feeling it. When I finally realized what was happening, I was in rough shape. Now I'm no longer taking the meds and I'm giving myself until spring to recover. I'm seeing a sports doctor/chiropractor, and I'm hoping with all my heart :heart: that I'll be able to run again without pain.

I'll be beyond heartbroken if I can never run again, I love it so much. :sad: :brokenheart: I thank GOD for the elliptical, let me tell you!
  • aerome
    aerome Posts: 171 Member

ME TOO ON THE HIPS!!! :noway: I ran for a whole year last year (including eleven races) without any problems, then suddenly a bunion I had had for pretty much my entire life got worse (I blame that on a winter spent on the treadmill), I had foot surgery to correct it (the correction was only partial), and afterward when I tried to run, I felt like I was 90 years old afterward! I couldn't even walk (still can't walk too much or too quickly without shooting pains in my hamstring). To make matters worse, my foot doctor had me on an anti-inflammatory/pain med for my foot, which masked the symptoms in my hips, so I was running my hips into the ground for several weeks and not feeling it. When I finally realized what was happening, I was in rough shape. Now I'm no longer taking the meds and I'm giving myself until spring to recover. I'm seeing a sports doctor/chiropractor, and I'm hoping with all my heart :heart: that I'll be able to run again without pain.

I'll be beyond heartbroken if I can never run again, I love it so much. :sad: :brokenheart: I thank GOD for the elliptical, let me tell you!

I'm sorry you had to go through surgery and all that pain! :cry: I hope you feel better ASAP! It's good that you're giving your body time to recover. Even if you gain a few pounds and aren't in as great of shape, you'll be able to get back out there sooner than if you kept trying and kept re-injuring yourself. I wish you the best of luck and hope you can run again soon! :flowerforyou:
  • cherapple
    I'm sorry you had to go through surgery and all that pain! :cry: I hope you feel better ASAP! It's good that you're giving your body time to recover. Even if you gain a few pounds and aren't in as great of shape, you'll be able to get back out there sooner than if you kept trying and kept re-injuring yourself. I wish you the best of luck and hope you can run again soon! :flowerforyou:

I think the elliptical is doing a pretty good job of keeping me in shape. TOO good, in some sense, because when I tried to run again I went *gangbusters* because my heart could handle more running than my foot, legs, and hips could. In a way, it might be better to let myself go a little bit so that my body would hold me back from overdoing it. :bigsmile:

I enjoy step now and then, too. I used to do high impact step all the time (cathe.com) before I got into running. Now I can do low impact about once a week on my foot.

:flowerforyou: Good luck to you with getting back to running, too!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!