What are some low carb options?

Options
My doctor said I should stay under 41g of carbs per meal, but it seems like everything is at least 10g over that

Replies

• Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    Options
    The main thing is to watch your portions. I usually have a lean protein, a vegetable and a small amount of a either a starchy vegetable or grain for dinner. Increasing protein and non-starchy vegetable portions helps to keep total carbs low.
  • zafarix
    Options
    Omelettes, salads with chesse, zucchini pasta!
  • Fat4Fuel2
    Fat4Fuel2 Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    What are your meals? eggs and bacon have 0-1 carb.
  • Bellodesiderare
    Bellodesiderare Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    I did low -carb when I was losing. Here was my basic meal plan. Hopefully, you'll find it helpful :)

BREAKFAST:

*Pair a carb w/ a protein (any combination)

CARBS:

¼ c. oatmeal
    ¼ c. cream of wheat
    1 piece of toast
    1 mini whole-wheat bagel
    1/2 banana or small piece of fruit
    2 c. grapes
    1 slice ezekeal bread (Trust me, you want to toast this!)
    1 whole wheat waffle or pancake

PROTEINS:

1 egg + 2 egg whites
    6 tbsp. egg beaters
    2 slices turkey bacon
    4 oz. turkey sausage
    1 boiled egg w/ 1 boiled white
    Any type of omelet w/ veggies (made from egg whites & lean deli ham or turkey)
    2 slices of Canadian bacon

-OR-
    1 serving Kashi cereal (protein) with 1 cup of skim or almond milk (I really love the vanilla almond milk).

-OR-

1 whole wheat English muffin sandwich (egg white, 2% cheese, & one of the lean meats listed above)

SNACKS:

* Try not to eat over 20g carbs in snacks & try to pair with protein
    Any kind of raw veggies w/ Ranch Greek yogurt dip (tastes just like traditional ranch)
    Light string cheese + 10 nuts (almonds, cashews, ect)
    Sugar free jello or pudding w. lite cool whip
    No sugar added hot chocolate (with skim milk or almond milk)
    Yogurt/fruit/ granola parfait
    Any type of fruit or veggies
    150 cal (or less) protein shake
    Baked tortilla chips w/ salsa
    10 crackers + hummus (I really like the sundried tomato or roasted red pepper kind best)

LUNCH:

* Pair any carb, meat, and veggie of your choice
    Whole wheat wrap (chicken, turkey, lean beef, fish, or tuna w/ any veggies, 2% cheese, ¼ avocado, light dressing or light mayo)
    ½ sweet potato or ½ c. brown rice or ½ c. wheat noodles
    4 oz. any type of lean meat
    Broccoli, cauliflower, asparagus, carrots, spinach, salad, frozen veggies, edamame beans, yam patties, green beans, peas, turnips, zucchini, squash
    Half sandwich on light wheat bread with a can of light soup
    Lean cuisines etc (Try not to go over 35g carbs)

DINNER:
    * No Carbs!!!!
    4 oz. lean meat + green veggies or salad
  • Camo_xxx
    Camo_xxx Posts: 1,082 Member
    Options
    CRIMSONBA wrote: »
    My doctor said I should stay under 41g of carbs per meal, but it seems like everything is at least 10g over that

Sounds like you are looking for processed foods to hit your goal. Try the vegetable and meat sections and cook your own meals. Factory made foods tend to be carb plentiful. An added benefit is more control over your sodium intake.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    If you make your meals meat and vegetables, with most of the vegetables being non-starchy, you should be fine. Skip the pasta/rice/bread.

If you want a sandwich, there are a variety of low carb wraps and tortillas available to use instead of bread.

If you want processed ready-made snacks or meals, those are available too. I know Atkins has a whole line.
  • HeySwoleSister
    HeySwoleSister Posts: 1,938 Member
    Options
    I'm not low-carbing, but I rarely get over 40 in carbs in any one meal...what kinds of foods do you usually eat? What do you mean by "Everything" being about 50 g of carbs? Just have smaller portions of your favorite high-carb food and larger portions of the other, low- or no- carb parts of the meal. So, huge salad, sensible cut of meat, small portion of something like potato or rice. Done.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options

That sounds stupid. Why that number? Just eat seven meals a day then.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options

Reduce the portion of carby foods and increase the portion of lower carb foods.

If you aren't sure what they are, look at your diary and see where your carbs are coming from or maybe try prelogging the meal and adjusting portion sizes.

For example, your meat won't add carbs, so maybe get a bit more calories from that and increase your serving size of veggies (which are mostly carbs, but tend to have fewer for larger amounts and can be cooked with some oil, which adds calories without carbs) and reduce the serving size of foods like starches (potatoes, grains, so on). Some veggies (Brussels sprouts, carrots) will also tend to be carbier by volume (generally the ones with somewhat more calories).