Strength Training calories

Options
Why dont calories burned during strenght training show up on here. You do burn calories while your doing strength training dont you?

Replies

• bethany675
    bethany675 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I add it under the calesthenics category....it works for me.
  • Losingitin2011
    Losingitin2011 Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    I was wondering the same thing, but I have no idea how many I'd burn.
  • Anolte76
    Anolte76 Posts: 105
    Options
    I found this in another post:

If one wants to get nit picky then they can record everything and anything. For recording house hold chores or loading groceries or shoveling snow or mowing the lawn or mundane daily activities I would personally say no. These are things that are done repetitively by yourself and your body has already adapted to these. Some people may find these strenuous but that is due to being out of shape.

Actual cardio for sure should be recorded. Strength training where you heart rate is continually at its peak for sure should be recorded. There may be a few other activities that can be included but unless your heart rate is up over 20 minutes continually I would no record. Daily chores; not in my opinion. Nobody keeps their heart rate up that high doing those types of activities; no way. If they did then they wouldn't need exercise programs and we wouldn't have an obese society. Our doctors would then be prescribing daily chores instead of getting our fat a$$es to the gym and such. Exercise gimmicks wouldn't be a billion dollar industry.
  • RCMILLER2
    RCMILLER2 Posts: 38
    Options
    I do my cardio first then my strength training so my heart rate is up through out all of my work out. I think it should be added but I have no idea how many calories to add, so I guess I will just think of that as a bonus or me doing better than I need to :smile:
  • anubis609
    anubis609 Posts: 3,966 Member
    Options
    It does burn calories. You sweat because you're exerting energy, but maybe not high enough to count as cardio, unless you're strapped with a weighted backpack or carrying light weights while performing cardio. Strength training is just that. Training for strength. Again, it would have to be strenuous enough to get your HR up. Still, if you wanna count it, wear a HRM and log it under cardio exercise.
  • nseuell
    nseuell Posts: 110
    Options
    When you search under cardio, type in "strength training" It will give you a more accurate count than a heart rate monitor, because it figures actual aerobic activity vs. the pressure of heavy weights. It's not nearly as many calories as cardio, but definitely some!
  • breezymom81
    breezymom81 Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    I found this in another post:

If one wants to get nit picky then they can record everything and anything. For recording house hold chores or loading groceries or shoveling snow or mowing the lawn or mundane daily activities I would personally say no. These are things that are done repetitively by yourself and your body has already adapted to these. Some people may find these strenuous but that is due to being out of shape.

Actual cardio for sure should be recorded. Strength training where you heart rate is continually at its peak for sure should be recorded. There may be a few other activities that can be included but unless your heart rate is up over 20 minutes continually I would no record. Daily chores; not in my opinion. Nobody keeps their heart rate up that high doing those types of activities; no way. If they did then they wouldn't need exercise programs and we wouldn't have an obese society. Our doctors would then be prescribing daily chores instead of getting our fat a$$es to the gym and such. Exercise gimmicks wouldn't be a billion dollar industry.

i wear my HRM while doing house cleaning, not picking up but my once a week scrub house from ceiling to floor cleaning, during this time my heart rate is generally up, although not as much as while working out. When I mow the yard I wear it, as my heart rate is up then. I imagine when winter comes and I have to shovel I will wear it then as well. These are not everyday activities, these are more like once weekly, and not enought o keep me in shape no but they are extra things that I do.
  • lisseth82
    lisseth82 Posts: 28
    Options
    I log it under "Calesthenics". Or if you have a hear rate monitor that works too.
  • pyroxian
    pyroxian Posts: 99
    Options
    When you search under cardio, type in "strength training" It will give you a more accurate count than a heart rate monitor, because it figures actual aerobic activity vs. the pressure of heavy weights. It's not nearly as many calories as cardio, but definitely some!

excerpted from my obligatory azdak blog reference here: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/Azdak/view/the-real-facts-about-hrms-and-calories-what-you-need-to-know-before-purchasing-an-hrm-or-using-one-21472
    So, it must be emphasized again: HRMs calorie counts are only accurate when there is a consistent and measurable relationship between heart rate and oxygen uptake. That means exercises and exercise movements that are aerobic in nature and that are performed at intensities between 40% of VO2 max and the lactate threshold
    There are a number of conditions under which heart rate can increase, but without an increase in oxygen uptake:
    -Stress, Illness
    -Dehydration
    -Environment (high heat and humidity)
    -Heavy strength training (HR increases because of increased pressure)
    -Changes in posture
    -Cardiovascular drift during extended aerobic exercise
    In other conditions--arm work, overhead work, "anaerobic" or sprint exercise--an HR increase will reflect in increase in VO2, but it is not a consistently measurable and reproducible relationship, therefore the HRM calorie count is not as accurate.
    Note: Certain higher-end HRMs--the Polar RS800 and Suunto T6c use a very sophisticated method of analyzing the R-R interval of heart beat signals. When using this method, it is claimed that they can more accurately estimate caloric expenditure at rest, during anaerobic exercise and even during post-exercise oxygen consumption. Since these models are in the $350-$400 range, I am not including them in this review--if you are interested in more detail, check out www.firstbeattechnologies.com and www.suunto.com

So basically either use the MFP estimate or buy a very high end HRM and add your strength training under cardio here.
  • elizabethblake
    elizabethblake Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    I do cardio first and then strength training, which involves a lot of squats, lunges and constant movement and my heart rate is definitely pumping the entire time! I'm using the circuit training classification because that's really what I'm doing.
  • RProhofsky
    RProhofsky Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    You don't burn many calories lifting weights.

you would need to lift the 1 pound bar 3088 times to burn one calorie. Of course, in reality you would burn more calories than this due to inefficiencies in the lifting process. from answers.com

I do a cardio warm up before lifting weights and try to keep my heart rate up in order to burn more calories during strength training. I wear my Polar HRM

Good Luck,
    Rick