kettlebells

Options
Breckgirl
Breckgirl Posts: 606 Member
I'm new to the kettlebell craze. I am reading the 4 hour body and they say to do the kettlebell swing as on of the workouts. The book lacks any directions as to how much weight to do this with. I'm not strong at all so I'm thinking a low number would be good. What weight have you started with or what has been your experience with the kettlebells? I'm thinking I may go do 30 days at a local gym to get started. I would like to hear about your experiences. Thanks.

Replies

• Coco_Puff
    Coco_Puff Posts: 823 Member
    Options
    You can get a workout called kettlenetics online or I've also seen it at Target.. It gives you a great workout! For me it's just enough to get my heart rate up without working me to death!
  • cls0824
    cls0824 Posts: 19
    Options
    I actually just purchased a 10 lb kettlebell. I think it would be safe to start with 10 and work your way up. My brother has a 20 lb kettlebell and I tried to work with it and it was just too much. I would say go to a local store that sells them and try it out :) I know...you might look silly in the aisle doing kettlebell swings. I LOVE the kettlebell.
  • etroupe
    etroupe Posts: 54
    Options
    I bought the 8lb kettlebell from walmart...came with a dvd that is pretty good for beginners : )
  • purplefreak60
    purplefreak60 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Since you are using your legs/hips to move the Kettlebell and not your arms you can actually use a heavier one than you think for the swings. I feel that particular workout (swings) in my upper thighs because its basically squats.

I do the Bob Harper workout and bought a 7lb Kettlebell which I think is too light so I use my husband's 10 lb one and he bought a heavier one. I still use the 7lb for some of the other moves tho.

Its a great workout!
  • Breckgirl
    Options
    You can get a workout called kettlenetics online or I've also seen it at Target.. It gives you a great workout! For me it's just enough to get my heart rate up without working me to death!

I'll look into that, thanks.
  • Breckgirl
    Options
    I actually just purchased a 10 lb kettlebell. I think it would be safe to start with 10 and work your way up. My brother has a 20 lb kettlebell and I tried to work with it and it was just too much. I would say go to a local store that sells them and try it out :) I know...you might look silly in the aisle doing kettlebell swings. I LOVE the kettlebell.

Look silly in the store? LOL You're talking to a girl who took her best friend to go couch shopping and we layed on them to see if they would be comfortable to sleep on!
  • Breckgirl
    Options
    Since you are using your legs/hips to move the Kettlebell and not your arms you can actually use a heavier one than you think for the swings. I feel that particular workout (swings) in my upper thighs because its basically squats.

I do the Bob Harper workout and bought a 7lb Kettlebell which I think is too light so I use my husband's 10 lb one and he bought a heavier one. I still use the 7lb for some of the other moves tho.

Its a great workout!

Thanks for the advise.
  • cls0824
    cls0824 Posts: 19
    Options

Look silly in the store? LOL You're talking to a girl who took her best friend to go couch shopping and we layed on them to see if they would be comfortable to sleep on!

Well I don't mind looking silly anywhere...actually being and looking silly is one of my most favorite things to do :)
  • Breckgirl
    Options

Me too! LOL

Well I don't mind looking silly anywhere...actually being and looking silly is one of my most favorite things to do :)