Not able to get blood from fingers for testing

Options
i is just newly diagnosed with type two diabetes. I have to test four times a day and , I am right-handed so I can only take blood from my left hand. Sometimes I can't get enough blood out and I end up wasting my test strip. Any suggestions on what I can do

Replies

• flw22
    flw22 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Warm your hands up before trying to take your sugar. Stop using the alcohol swabs. Just wash hands with warm water and dry then test. You can use opposite hand if you want. Ives been diabetic for 27 years. Change the lancet needle often. Good luck and I hope this info helps.
  • scilufo
    scilufo Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much for the info, I will try your suggestion. Have a good one.
  • GOINLOCARB54
    Options
    scilufo wrote: »
    i is just newly diagnosed with type two diabetes. I have to test four times a day and , I am right-handed so I can only take blood from my left hand. Sometimes I can't get enough blood out and I end up wasting my test strip. Any suggestions on what I can do

Sometimes when I get dehydrated, I have problems getting blood. Just a thought.

• keithw2013
    keithw2013 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    My son is type 1. You do not need to get blood from fingers. Modern glucose meters can get small droplets from the tops of arms or even legs. Much less painful.
  • bashmir
    bashmir Posts: 43
    Options
    I massage my finger before I take it and it helps with blood flow and bruising.
  • scilufo
    Options
    I'll try that. Thanks again
  • Maleficent0241
    Maleficent0241 Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    Warming up your finger and massage are my go to methods too. Swinging your arm back and forth by your side a few times can help too, as it helps blood to pool a bit in your hands. If you have a lancing device with an adjustable depth, play with the different settings- you'll find the sweet spot where you can get a good sample with the least amount of pain.
  • scilufo
    Options
    Thanks, I'll try that.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    All my best tips are covered already. Stay well hydrated. I hope someone showed you that you can take your blood from the side of your finger, not the end. You can dial up the needle (deeper, ewww) if you are not getting enough at the depth you are dialed to now. For some reason my thumb is a better bleeder than the rest of my fingers.
  • Snip8241
    Snip8241 Posts: 767 Member
    Options
    After piercing your finger, allow a few seconds and massage your finger from the palm up towards the tip...like milking a cow. If you only squeeze the tip the capillaries will constrict and blood flow will be inhibited. Use Several fingers to squeeze your finger gradually towards the tip.
    This is how we used to draw patients for fingerstick lab specimens.
    Also, after injury with your lancet, the initial response is for your capillaries to constrict. Give it a few seconds and the blood flow will be better.
  • lissmennen
    lissmennen Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I'm not diabetic, but I am a nurse. All the suggestions above are great, although I wouldn't give up the alcohol swabs - just my opinion. Sometimes it helps to do the stick off to the side of your finger - the pad of your finger is a little tougher, hence you have to stick deeper to get a sample. Massage is great, but make sure to do it gently - avoid "milking" - if you're too aggressive you can actually break cell walls, which will cause a false slightly higher blood sugar reading. Good luck!!
  • RavenLibra
    RavenLibra Posts: 1,737 Member
    Options
    if your lancing your finger tip start pushing the blood down from the "other side of the knuckle joint, I was diagnosed type II in September, and for the first while had the same problem. it takes a bit of practice but you will get it. also don't lance directly on the tip, the side of your finger is a better target. an dif you are still having problems stop by your pharmacist, they should be able to show you the correct method. (that's how I learned to jab myself. welcome to the A1c monitoring club :)
  • scilufo
    Options
    Thanks very much for the advice I will definitely give it a try.