I need some motivation!!!!

Options
Hi MFP nation! Im Ashley and I would really like to loose some chub. My problem is I have zero motivation and will power. I need some help with enchouragement. Hoping to make some friends that want and need the same!

Replies

• susansmoaks
    susansmoaks Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    only you can motivate and encourage yourself. it is your decision. eating and exercising are in your control. if you don't do it you really don't want to do it.
  • ascott03
    Options
    I sure am trying! Ive been eating well for about 15 days straight which is a miricle. I hate that im not happy about my weight but not very motivated to do anything about it. Im trying to change my mindset and the way I think.
  • FoZwinkinSho
    FoZwinkinSho Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    That's not very good advice, Susan.
    Lots of people who really want to lose weight struggle to do so because of a lack of will power or what have you. My best advice is that one should acknowledge that changing ones diet is essentially breaking a habit, and psychologically speaking, that is a very hard thing to do. Obviously, we wouldn't tell addicts that if they weren't able to stop immediately that this means they must not really want to quit. That would be preposterous. Hence, changing ones eating habits is the same. It takes a while to get used to an abrupt change, but once you push through that hard spot, you find that it's easier than you thought. What I always do for myself is verbally speak to myself and instruct myself. For example, if I am feeling hungry past my cal limit, I may go look in the mirror at myself, look myself in the eyes, and say ~aloud~, "I do not need to eat right now. I am not starving. I am not hungry. I am only desiring to eat because I am used to it. I will make it through this, and when I do, I will feel much better about myself." For me, this is practicing mind over matter - people underestimate the power of the tongue and the mind. The simple act of speaking things outloud, firmly to yourself can work wonders. Sometimes we have to draw the line in the sand for ourselves and make our standards or whatever more tangible.
  • ascott03
    Options
    I agree. Thanks! Im doing what i can do. And so far im not misserable and am staying on track. Lost 4lbs so far so yay!!!!!
  • farfromthetree
    farfromthetree Posts: 982 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    That's not very good advice, Susan.
    Lots of people who really want to lose weight struggle to do so because of a lack of will power or what have you. My best advice is that one should acknowledge that changing ones diet is essentially breaking a habit, and psychologically speaking, that is a very hard thing to do. Obviously, we wouldn't tell addicts that if they weren't able to stop immediately that this means they must not really want to quit. That would be preposterous. Hence, changing ones eating habits is the same. It takes a while to get used to an abrupt change, but once you push through that hard spot, you find that it's easier than you thought. What I always do for myself is verbally speak to myself and instruct myself. For example, if I am feeling hungry past my cal limit, I may go look in the mirror at myself, look myself in the eyes, and say ~aloud~, "I do not need to eat right now. I am not starving. I am not hungry. I am only desiring to eat because I am used to it. I will make it through this, and when I do, I will feel much better about myself." For me, this is practicing mind over matter - people underestimate the power of the tongue and the mind. The simple act of speaking things outloud, firmly to yourself can work wonders. Sometimes we have to draw the line in the sand for ourselves and make our standards or whatever more tangible.

It sounds to me you said essentially what Susan said. You have to speak to yourself, educate yourself, cheer yourself on. I have been on MFP for over a year. Not long compared to many on here but I can tell you ascott, friends on MFP come and go. The same people that are swearing up and down that they are going to change, they are sick and tired, a baby is coming, a wedding is coming...etc...only to find they last a week and they are gone. All the cheering we did, all the support from their MFP friends and poof!! gone. Your motivation has to come from inside you, dig deep and do it for yourself. The real support comes to you when you demonstrate your strength and commitment.
  • ascott03
    Options
    Im just looking for a little boost when I get down or have a bad week is all! I wouldnt be here if I didnt want to change. Its just taken me longer than I had hoped.
  • farfromthetree
    farfromthetree Posts: 982 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    ascott03 wrote: »
    Im just looking for a little boost when I get down or have a bad week is all! I wouldnt be here if I didnt want to change. Its just taken me longer than I had hoped.

Listen, I'm trying a little tough love here :) !! You will have no problem finding friends on here who will "like" your status or give you an "atta girl" but, if weight loss is truly your goal, it comes from within. I do wish you luck!!
  • ascott03
    Options
    Thanks. I appreciate it. =)