Need more protein and less fat and carbs.

Options
KMB1218
KMB1218 Posts: 17 Member
I am in need of some high protein, low fat snacks suggestions. I am having some trouble meeting my protein goal everyday and keeping my fat grams under goal. I am able to keep my calories under goal but the majority of calories are from carbs and fat...I need to change this! Any suggestions?

Replies

• sfreimuth
    Options
    I have the same issue, so yesterday I bought string cheese and chicken lunch meat. For a snack I wrap the chicken around the cheese. I also put some whey protein powder in my oatmeal this morning and increased the protein by 11 grams without adding much in carbs and fat. Greek yogurt is another high protein snack.
  • meganbriggs129
    Options
    Hi,
    Me and my husband do a lot of grilling or baking. chicken, talopia,Tuna Are very high in protein normally we make fresh sides of different veggies to go with the dishes or bake them. Also I come to find out that putting a turkey loin in the crock pot with carrots,Onions and mushrooms with a container of low sodium chicken broth is very delicious and we can eat on that for a few days also its a lot healthier that pork lion and low in sodium. If you want good healthy recipes High in protein You will find wonderful ideas online also pinterest is my best friend. Good luck with everything!!!
  • DvrDawg
    DvrDawg Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Have you thought about protein bars or protein shakes? You can buy ready-made protein shakes like Adkins that contain lower cals (like 150) and about 15g of protein. Also, you can make your own protein shakes -scoop of vanilla protein powder, fruit flavored yogurt, some frozen berries and ice -blend it together and it is similar to a milkshake. You can also do chocolate or chocolate peanut butter. Protein shakes with yogurt will have about 270 calories -If you use Yoplait Light, it will only have about 3g of sugar and 31g of protein.
  • eringaucher
    eringaucher Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Cottage cheese! I add it to everything - oatmeal, scrambled eggs, protein shakes (it blends surprisingly well).
  • TheStephil
    TheStephil Posts: 858 Member
    Options
    Greek yogurt (fat free), string cheese, deli meat, protein shakes, protein bars, protein powder
  • giganteR
    giganteR Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I'm having the same struggle ..I didn't realize all the fat small things have in them until I started logging my meals..help with meal ideas would be greatly appreciated
  • MarkFox2015
    Options
    Cottage cheese! I add it to everything - oatmeal, scrambled eggs, protein shakes (it blends surprisingly well).
    Hi,
    You will find wonderful ideas online!!
    Brilliant, thanks. I'll go online now.
  • thecriticalvirgo
    thecriticalvirgo Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Have you ever made protein pancakes? I make them every night and they are a great portable snack.
  • kimw91
    kimw91 Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    Cottage cheese and quark are great, simple options. I sometimes snack on roast turkey or chicken, wrapped around a veggie or choice or with a herby yogurt dip. Tuna salad and boiled egg whites would work too. Also, it's probably easiest to add more protein to your main meals.
  • phungpat
    Options
    kimw91 wrote: »
    Cottage cheese and quark are great, simple options. I sometimes snack on roast turkey or chicken, wrapped around a veggie or choice or with a herby yogurt dip. Tuna salad and boiled egg whites would work too. Also, it's probably easiest to add more protein to your main meals.

And you can even add the cottage cheese to your tuna salad. It's actually pretty tasty. A nice mayo replacement. And you can always opt for fat free cottage cheese.
  • chesves
    chesves Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    Thank you for this thread- love reading other ideas. I struggle with this as well. I do enjoy having 2% string cheese for snacks (80 calories) .... Greek yogurt .... I recently found dry roasted edamame seeds. I personally love them. The little packs have 100 calories, and 11 grams of protein (3 grams of fat) .... it's a snack that is very satisfying, although it may not be for everyone. I tend to eat a lot of chicken for protein.

• jrshickley
    Options
    I have been making the same efforts as you. Here are a few things I have tried for each meal.
    Breakfasts - Eggwhite omelet with cheese; baked egg in a ham basket (put name in a muffin tin then crack an egg in it and bake); greek yogurt;
    lunch. - tuna salad on cucumber slices; ham/turkey roll ups with cheese; turkey/beef taco meat and fixing I a romaine lettuce boat.
    Dinner - chicken, pork chops (I don't have much here - we still do traditional family dinner and use portion control); greek salad
    Snacks - P3 packs, greek yogurt, string cheese, protein shake (I use skim milk because it has more protein than almond milk, but almond milk is thicker and makes a better shake really);
  • mynameisnotemily
    mynameisnotemily Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Easy (and easy-to-personalize) low-fat snack:

1 Thin Cake (or corn thin, rice cake, etc)
    1 Tbsp light cream cheese
    2 oz turkey breast deli meat (or other deli meat, but turkey is healthy)
    salt & pepper to taste (optional)

Spread cream cheese on thin cake
    Sprinkle salt on cream cheese
    Put 1/2 the turkey on the cream cheese
    Sprinkle pepper on turkey
    Put the rest of the turkey on
    Eat!
  • bettieb1988
    bettieb1988 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    Green veggies and chicken breasts. Can't go wrong
  • Urban_Princess
    Urban_Princess Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    cheese!
  • bhdon
    bhdon Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I definitely struggle with this too. Usually my 'fat' calories are too high and my protein calories are about half or less of what they should be. They're not for everyone, and for some an acquired taste - but sardines are high in omega 3s and also high in protein. One 4.37 oz tin of sardines in water has only 140 calories and 23 grams of protein!
  • illyich
    illyich Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    Take 99% fat free ground turkey breast and fry it in a pan with celery, onion, peas, and tomatoes. Tastes great as is, or throw it over cooked lentils to make it even more filling. Super high protein, great amount of fiber, fair amount of carbs and very low fat! What is your protein goal for the day?
  • leannio1990
    leannio1990 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Have you ever made protein pancakes? I make them every night and they are a great portable snack.

How do you make them??
  • AngelDavis818
    AngelDavis818 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    KMB1218 wrote: »
    I am in need of some high protein, low fat snacks suggestions. I am having some trouble meeting my protein goal everyday and keeping my fat grams under goal. I am able to keep my calories under goal but the majority of calories are from carbs and fat...I need to change this! Any suggestions?
    phungpat wrote: »
    kimw91 wrote: »

And you can even add the cottage cheese to your tuna salad. It's actually pretty tasty. A nice mayo replacement. And you can always opt for fat free cottage cheese.

Plain yogurt in tuna is good too!

• I'm a HUGE fan of cheese and add it to a lot of things. Low fat cheese can be tasty and easy to add to a lot of different foods.