Standing Desk

Options
mkozmik
mkozmik Posts: 79 Member
I have this nifty platform on my desk that allows me to stand periodically during the day while I work at my desk. I noticed when I'm standing...I'm not standing still, but I do move around a bit as I'm working. It's not a treadmill desk (although that would be COOL!).

We've all heard that sitting at a desk all day is bad for your health. Some days I wonder how many extra calories I'm burning. Probably not a ton...but I still wonder.

I've also noticed that I'm starting to prefer to stand, rather than sit, when I have the option.

Anyone else have a standing desk at work?

Replies

• momxs2
    momxs2 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    I am definitely interested in a standing desk...interested to see if what the responses are here!

Thx!
  • j0nh
    j0nh Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I've been using a standing desk for about 4 months, and love it. My boss sprung for a Varidesk, which allows me to sit/stand easily through the day; I'll usually stand for a couple of hours, then sit for maybe 30 minutes.
    Fitbit doesn't really count the activity, but I think I get a close calculation on the calories from juststand.org
  • SpeSHul_SnoflEHk
    SpeSHul_SnoflEHk Posts: 6,256 Member
    Options
    nope.
  • CooperSprings
    CooperSprings Posts: 754 Member
    Options
    My old boss had a huge standing desk in his office. Whenever he held meetings there were no chairs. I remember the first time I walked in thinking 'Whaaaat?'

He said standing makes people think better. He was a fit guy and seemingly smart, so I believed him. :p
  • klkarlen
    klkarlen Posts: 4,366 Member
    Options
    j0nh wrote: »
    I've been using a standing desk for about 4 months, and love it. My boss sprung for a Varidesk, which allows me to sit/stand easily through the day; I'll usually stand for a couple of hours, then sit for maybe 30 minutes.
    Fitbit doesn't really count the activity, but I think I get a close calculation on the calories from juststand.org

We use those at work also, I stand for at least two hours a day, and it helps me through that afternoon slump where I just want to take a nap if I am sitting.
  • Sinistrous
    Sinistrous Posts: 5,589 Member
    Options
    $400 for one of those? What a rip-off :|
  • benpoepen
    benpoepen Posts: 20 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    I'm using a standing desk at work and at home. It's only recently that I've been able to stand all day if I want (I do try to take 15 minutes sitting-breaks every 3-4 hours).

Here are two screenshots of my Fitbit log today. Guess what time I had a seated meeting and what time I've been standing behind my desk

TKAS5J1.png
    XB32Owl.png

(according to the graph, standing let me burns 19 Calories per 15 minutes vs 7 sedentary. That's 76 per hour vs 28.
    I stand like 6-7 hours a day, so that's an avg of 330 calories extra per day. Just at work. That's 1680 calories in a workweek. Or about 2 pounds per month extra weightloss.

According to just stand, standing would give me a surplus of 2200cal per week. Which might be a tad exaggerated.
    )

• MommysLittleMeatball
    MommysLittleMeatball Posts: 2,064 Member
    Options
    I would love that! I hate sitting all day. It kills my back. I go home with my shoulders burning. Makes me feel so lazy too.
  • benpoepen
    Options
    I would love that! I hate sitting all day. It kills my back. I go home with my shoulders burning. Makes me feel so lazy too.

standing the whole time could kill your back too, your lower back it is. If you're used to sitting all day and have tight hip flexors due to that.

Had to work the gluten en loose the hips before I could able to stand for hours. And still my lower back gets tired (not hurt)
  • MommysLittleMeatball
    Options
    benpoepen wrote: »

standing the whole time could kill your back too, your lower back it is. If you're used to sitting all day and have tight hip flexors due to that.

Had to work the gluten en loose the hips before I could able to stand for hours. And still my lower back gets tired (not hurt)

Yeah, I could see that. My previous job I was on my feet all day. If I had at a way to sit and stand that would be great. lol
  • benpoepen
    Options

Yeah, I could see that. My previous job I was on my feet all day. If I had at a way to sit and stand that would be great. lol

What kind of job do you have now? maybe you can do some imprompto raising work space like many have done before.
    Standing desks are all over the news lately it seems, maybe your boss is in for an experiment?
  • MommysLittleMeatball
    Options

What kind of job do you have now? maybe you can do some imprompto raising work space like many have done before.
    Standing desks are all over the news lately it seems, maybe your boss is in for an experiment?

Paralegal. Lots of *kitten*, files, typing, phone calls, facedesking. No way my boss would splurge for that. I think my work computer is from 1995 and my desk is probably older than I am. lol We just got new desk chairs, I almost had a heart attack.
  • micheledavison39
    micheledavison39 Posts: 821 Member
    Options
    I just got a sit/stand setup this week! I got the Ergotron LX system (bought separately, they were cheaper that way) and so far so good. The pole that the arms attach to could be taller(I got the 13" but wish there was a 15-18" version). I am only 5'3" and my desk is 2" higher than standard and it is still 2" too low so I ordered an extension arm to make it taller. love the flexibility of moving around the heights, distances etc.
  • ekg0328
    ekg0328 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I used an ikea hack to make a standing desk at work maybe 3 months ago, and I LOVE it. I rarely sit down, and I've found that I have so much more energy by the end of the day. I'm also much more productive. Big, big fan.

People in the office love to pick on me for it, but I love to tell them that "sitting is the new smoking" ... I read it on the internet, so it's science.
  • gvhunterollie
    gvhunterollie Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I've been using a standing desk for over a year now and love it. There are times I lower it and sit, or just sit with it raised (adjustable chair as well), but I prefer standing. Most of my middle back pain has disappeared in the last 6 months.
  • benpoepen
    Options
    after a month of fulltime standing (before I only did half day) I've noticed one thing today. I can't sit for a long time anymore. I become restless and will just move around if I can.

Since yesterday I have a Fitbit Charge HR, so I'll check how much higher my calorie-usage is seated vs standing. (I think using heart rate the calorie-usage is more precise than just "steps".) I'll report back after a week.
  • SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage
    Options
    I would love to have a standing desk but I know I would get lazy and sit :smile:
    Two of my coworkers recently got stand up desks, and Sinistrous, if you thought $400 was a lot, these ones are about $1,500 CAD (which is like $5,000 US these days LOL). Plus they got all the nifty things that go with it like a cool floor pad that's easier on the feet, computer arm etc.
    I'm tempted to do the Ikea hack for my own desk before asking the company to dole out that kind of cash.