Tummy Exercises for someone with a bad back?

Options
I have a pinched nerve and something else is going on with my neck and shoulders and I cant do sit ups...Anybody got suggestions on what exercises I can do that don't strain my back or neck?? I want SO bad to lose this gut!! Help!! :(

Replies

• rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,239 Member
    Options
    To lose the gut you need to diet and burn off calories as there is no such thing as spot reducing. To strengthen the muscles there you can try planks and side planks.
  • Kimbie500
    Kimbie500 Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    bump
  • frida001
    frida001 Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    Pilates!!!!!
  • MrsWendyQ
    MrsWendyQ Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I don't know for sure, but I have scoliosis and some messed up vertebrae as well, so I would love to hear what others have to say as well! I don't know if it helps, but one great exercise that has helped with my pain is to lie on the floor with my knees bent (as if you were going to do a sit up) and make a "cage" as my Doc puts it. Basically you want to tighten your abs as if bracing for a stomach punch and at the same time tighten your back up as if bracing for a hit in the kidneys. Hold that for a count of 10, then relax for a few seconds and repeat a total of 6 times (or more.) It has helped strengthen my lower back a lot and it's got to be good for the belly somehow, right?
  • harley0269
    harley0269 Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    i have 2 rods & 6 screws in my back. best thing to do is swim. get in the water & walk, swim or do water arobics. if you cant get into water, then walk. there is also some great exercises to do on the swiss ball. good luck :flowerforyou:
  • sanura
    sanura Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    depending on what is wrong, of course, I would recommend a plank, you keep your body in a straight line you can use your hands or forearms, and either toes or knees. keep breathing, only hold as long as you can maintain the straight line.
    there are also a variet of standing ab exercises that I've learned from doing bellydance. you make want to try out a class, or check some youtube instructional videos.
    I wouldn't recommend most pilates exercies because they do cause some strain on the neck, or at very least some tension, and that sounds like the limitation described in your post.
    (feel free to message me if you want more info or links, I'm a bellydance instructor and was a personal trainer)
  • TrainerRobin
    TrainerRobin Posts: 509 Member
    Options
    To lose the gut you need to diet and burn off calories as there is no such thing as spot reducing. To strengthen the muscles there you can try planks and side planks.

Any honest and knowledgeable trainer will tell you that the only way to lose the gut is what he said -- burn off the excess fat accumulated there by maintaining a caloric deficit. In other words, diet and exercise.

Once you get to the point where you can do some work involving your back/abs, be sure to equally worth both (actually your entire core) so that you aren't stronger in your abs than you are in your back. That imbalance along can wreak havoc on your back's health. :) Google core exercises and talk to your doctor to see what you can do ...

Hope that helps.
  • stephn1
    stephn1 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    my husband just started Physical therapy for his back and they are having him sit on the stability ball and use bands. Have you talked to a doctor? So you get the right exercise for your problem.
  • zundelag
    zundelag Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    I would also suggest plank also as long as it won't hurt your back. It won't make your gut go away, but it will strengthen your core which helps with a lot of other things.
  • brendi_lynn
    brendi_lynn Posts: 19
    Options
    I have scoliosis, big breasts, cartilage lodged in my knee where it shouldn't be, and an incredibly short stature, I HAVE to wear a back brace. My mom also has back pinched nerves in her neck. Walking for a few hours with friends around town is great. or even some slight dancing for a good 15-20 minutes. even 10. Start out slow. Plus, you can get great belly workouts by using Benderball, sounds stupid, but they have a hard variation and an easy variation for the weak-backed.
  • ladybu6205
    ladybu6205 Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    I was going to suggest stability ball to do your crunches on too, but it may still bother your neck if not done properly. ?e personally never put my hands behind head but rather cross them on my chest as to keep from pulling on my neck and shoulders... it is definatley less strain that was. I too have scoliosis and doing ab work on the floor bothers me...

also, use stability ball to sit on at desk or while wwatching tv instead of a chair... your core is forced to engage to keep your balance... therefore strengthening the core...
  • dave4d
    dave4d Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    Ab work is not nesecarry to get rid of fat. It is all in proper diet, and maintaining a caloric deficit. Your core gets worked in most every exercise.
  • janesmith1
    janesmith1 Posts: 1,511 Member
    Options
    I would suggest buying some really thick mats. I have these by Nefitco - they're 1.1" thick and are just amazing. I bought more after I tried them out and wow, that's all I can say. I use them for running, yoga, abs work.

http://www.nefitco.com/interlockingfloormats28mm.html

Worth it totally.
  • Goose82
    Goose82 Posts: 8
    Options
    Awesome!! Thanks guys! I go to the gym and do cardio about 3 to 4 times a week, every week and I seem to be losing my hips and thighs but my belly isnt gettin ANY smaller. I cant lay in the floor and raise my legs because omg~ness, it KILLS my back and neck...I dont have insurance so I cant go to a doctor... :( But I sure appreciate everyones input!
  • Kimbie500
    Kimbie500 Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    I meant to post this link when you first posted:

http://www.happyhealthylonglife.com/happy_healthy_long_life/2009/06/situps.html

This blog describes some alternatives to crunches that may work for you. Best of luck!
  • aztecadist
    aztecadist Posts: 1
    Options
    I have a bad back too.
    Crunches are better than sit ups, for me or at least to start.
    I started Zumba last week and I already feel amazing and my back is feeling better.

Thanks for the post as I'm looking for these kind of answers too.
    I like the balance ball and swimming suggestions, thanks.

Good luck.
    Have a nice day everyone!