When did you stop feeling "fat"?

So, I've been working at losing weight for a while and I've lost almost 50 pounds. But when I look in the mirror, try on clothes, etc., I feel like I've only lost 10 pounds. I don't feel much smaller really, and I've been measuring, taking pictures, all that, but I just can't seem to get my brain to catch up with the scale. How long did it take you guys?

Replies

• Train4Foodz
    Train4Foodz Posts: 4,298 Member
    Awesome going with the 50lb loss, that is something to be incredibly proud of!

I think everybody changes their perception on themselves at different stages during their journey. Remember, we are all our own worst critic!

Wishing you all the best with your healthy lifestyle!

Adam
  • melimomTARDIS
    melimomTARDIS Posts: 1,941 Member
    I lost somewhere in the mid 60's. When my BMI got to 20, I felt thin/fit. Then I started maintaining.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    edited January 2015
    It takes longer than expected for most people, I think. I have days when I feel good and like I am fit and I have days when I still feel fat. I see myself in the mirror and sometimes feel like I look good and then I walk past it again and think "ugh." It is getting better but, yep, takes a long time.

Edited to clarify: I do know that I am thinner and, overall, think that I look good. I just think that it is hard to not focus on the trouble spots sometimes. Like if I see myself from mid-torso up or legs down, I am good. The middle, not so good.
  • Even when I got to a UK size 10 I still thought I was fat. I stayed that size for 5 years and I was super fit (from doing a really unhealthy amount of exercise to stay that size). The whole time I was still trying to lose another 10kg. Looking at the photos now, I really didn't have any weight to lose at all. If anything, I was underweight.
  • pianochikke
    pianochikke Posts: 2
    edited January 2015
    you sound like a beautiful person. it may be an image issue, and might go deeper than fat or not. please don't take this the wrong way when I suggest maybe
    it'd help to talk to a professional counselor? congrats on the 50lb weight loss--I'd LOVE to say I did that--hopefully at some point in this journey--I mean I CAN!
    please add me if you'd like we'll talk! :smiley:
  • SpecialSundae
    SpecialSundae Posts: 795 Member
    I still haven't stopped feeling fat. Some days I can see definition in my abs and I still feel fat.
  • kaseyr1505
    kaseyr1505 Posts: 624 Member
    I still feel a bit chubby. I am lifting heavy now, and feel a bit less chubby. I wouldn't call myself thin, or fit. I want to lose about 10 more pounds. My husband says I'm too critical of myself, though.

I'm a US size 4/about 140lbs, 5'3"
  • TeachTheGirl
    TeachTheGirl Posts: 2,091 Member
    It's been 3 years of losing weight, working out and getting down to a size 6...but I still feel like the fat me.
  • kdeaux1959
    kdeaux1959 Posts: 2,675 Member
    When I get there, I'll let you know.
  • Boobietrap1337
    Boobietrap1337 Posts: 195 Member
    I just lost 50 pounds as well, working on another 30. I feel like I haven't shrunk at all! I look good and feel good, but I still struggle with grabbing size 18 pants...then realizing I really need a 12/14...which is a good problem. Whenever I feel fat I put on a dress that I had custom made for me at my heaviest weight and it really throws all the weight I lost into perspective. But yes, it's a process.
  • terem00
    terem00 Posts: 176 Member
    It's taken me a few years. I initially lost my weight in early 2012 and have been up and down a few lbs here and there since. In total I've lost nearly 100lbs.
    Through consitent lifting and just seeing the changes in my body, I can now say that I am not fat and I'm starting to like my body! (I am actually 15lbs more than my lightest weight a year ago but I am also10 inches smaller and have gone from a size S/M to XS/S)
    It took a long time to come to this, of course I still have my days but those are far and few between now.
  • SuggaD
    SuggaD Posts: 1,369 Member
    Some days I still feel fat.
  • salembambi
    salembambi Posts: 5,585 Member
    160 pounds down and some days i still "feel fat" even though i know im not
  • acquilla30
    acquilla30 Posts: 147 Member
    It's hard. I walked around in my size 2x jacket that I was swimming in for months until my sisters threatens to burn it if I didn't get a new one lol. The scale may say your down x amount of pounds, but sometimes it takes awhile for your brain to catch up. One day you will look in the mirror and not recognize yourself and that's when you know your brain is starting to catch up to the new you. Until than, be kind to yourself and continue to celebrate your victories.
  • ErinG0517
    ErinG0517 Posts: 20 Member
    You guys are all awesome. Glad to know other people still have "fat brain." My husband tells me all the time I feel smaller, and I believe him, but my brain still says "nope!" I'm super proud of myself for the weight loss, just trying to kick my brain into gear!
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    I still feel fat. The loose skin doesn't help with all the rolls when I sit down, and I guess I just focus on the places where I still have fat (hips and lower back).
  • astrose00
    astrose00 Posts: 754 Member
    When I look at pictures of when I was lean, I can't believe I didn't realize how good I looked. I wasn't satisfied. I gained a bunch of weight after an injury and plain old gluttony and wish I could be back where I was 3 years ago. I've lost 51lbs since September but can't seem to give myself any credit for it. I am swimming in my fat clothes but I still feel fat because I'm not where I was before. It sucks because I haven't allowed myself to celebrate my success so far. I guess it's just my personality. But if it helps me keep my foot on the pedal then that's not such a bad thing. I think I will always need to have a goal even after maintenance (I have anywhere from 30-50lbs to go). Something like bodyfat target or doing 5ks and other fitness goals. I can't ever take my foot off the pedal. That's how I think I got fat again. I know I have to pay close attention to what I eat and my activities forever. I'm mentally OK with that.

Congrats on the loss!
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,740 Member
    When I was around 190 lb (once having been 307 lb) I stopped feeling fat all at once. Fitting into every booth, seat, chair, roller coaster, etc, made me feel normal and average.

I honestly feel lucky that it was that "easy" for me.

Only in the 170s though did I stop feeling like people were staring when I shopped in non-plus clothing stores.
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,088 Member
    Honestly, its going to take some time. I still wake up feeling fat sometimes. I know that I'm not, but its hard to really see it for yourself sometimes.
    Its more of a mental road block and it does get better after a while but for me it never went away fully.
  • I don't see how the feelings of others at any give weight should influence how you feel.