how long after eating for weigh in

Options
zorbaru
zorbaru Posts: 1,077 Member
I went for a run late last night and ate a fair bit when i got back (maybe 600cals)

now the rest of the week was pretty good and the scales at the gym were quite a bit down.

but this morning when i weighed in i was up 100grams.

is it still the food from last night sitting in my guts or was i just not as good as i thought i was.

Replies

• La5Vega5Girl
    La5Vega5Girl Posts: 709 Member
    Options
    weight fluctuates quite a bit due to hormones, water retention and other factors. if you weigh every day at the same time, you will see normal fluctuations. if you choose to weigh once per week (which i think is recommended) then do so at the same time, such as, as soon as you wake up, before breakfast, etc. i used to weigh every day so i could see the scale moving, even if it went up, it was ok b/c i knew it would go back down. i lost alot of weight and it took about 9 mos, some days up, some days down, but overall, i was losing. my mom is one who can only weigh once per week b/c seeing the scale move up a bit is depressing for her. (when she was on a diet) anyway, just give yourself another few days, then try weighing again, choosing the same time of day each weigh-in. HTH
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    Uh, did you poop this morning? yes, if not, it is still inside you. Weight loss is not linear. Somedays you'll be up and somedays you'll down. You are looking for trends that move downward not daily fluctuations.
  • zorbaru
    zorbaru Posts: 1,077 Member
    Options
    i weigh myself once a week on a saturday morning. i also jump on the scales at the gym but not for the purpose of weighing myself, but just out curiosity to see the difference between before and post work out. usually the gym one is around 93 - 94 but this week it was in the 92s so i thought i would have a good week on my weigh in.

and no, i havent crapped this morning yet.
  • bwogilvie
    bwogilvie Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    Read the chapter "The Rubber Bag" in John Walker's free online book The Hacker's Diet. Basically, each day the average person eats, drinks, and inhales over 6 kg (13 lb.) of food, water, and oxygen, and excretes about the same amount of solid waste, liquid waste, and carbon dioxide. Those quantities are rarely in perfect balance, though. That's why weight fluctuates.

Then there are discrete events that affect scale weight. I had surgery last week, and between the antibiotics, the anesthesia, and the recovery, I gained about 5 pounds in a few days. Since I was eating a little less than usual, it was water weight, and it disappeared a week later.