running your first 5k soon? check this out!

Options
gooberr4
gooberr4 Posts: 253 Member
So I have my first 5k in a month and I have no idea what to expect, how to warm up, or what to do. BUT, I found this article online and it made me feel alot better about everything.

hope it helps others too!!

http://www.active.com/running/Articles/8_Answers_to_Common_5K_Questions.htm?cmp=17-7-592

8 Answers to Common 5K Questions

You signed up for your first 5K, and religiously followed a training plan for six weeks. Here's what to do on the last week to make the most of your experience. And once you reach the finish line, remember to give yourself a big pat on the back.

How Much Should I Run This Week?
Do two or three easy runs of 20 to 30 minutes. Take one or two days off before race day.

Are you a treadmill trainer or an outdoor runner? Here's why you should love the track.

Should I Eat a Big Bowl of Pasta the Night Before?
No, loading up can lead to "unloading" during the race. Eat a normal portion of your regular healthy dinner.

Should I Wear the Race T-Shirt to the Race?
Unfortunately, most race shirts are made of cotton and become heavy as they absorb sweat, so save it for bragging rights after you cross the finish line.

I See People Sprinting Beforehand. Should I Do That Too?
No. Warm up 30 to 40 minutes before the race begins by walking for five minutes, jogging for five minutes, then picking up the pace a bit for the next five minutes. Finally, walk to the starting line.

Run a perfect race with these raceday tips from seasoned runners and professionals.

Where Should I Line Up?
At the very back of the crowd, where the atmosphere is relaxed. Start on a side so you can move over to take one-minute walk breaks for every one to four minutes of running.

Should I Run as Fast as Possible From the Start?
No. Even if the folks around you take off quickly, restrain yourself so you have energy to finish.

What if it Rains?
The race will still be held. Wear a cap and a garbage bag with holes cut for your head and arms that you can discard before the gun goes off .

Dress appropriately for any weather with this handy guide.

What if I Come in Last?
You probably won't, but if you do, the crowd often cheers loudest for the last person. Congratulate yourself for beating the thousands in your community who are still in bed.

Replies

• lifeaccordingtolily
    Options
    Bump!
  • lee3978
    lee3978 Posts: 274
    Options
    I just read this article, too! If you are racing for a PR time do not go to the back of the pack. It will be difficult to get through children, strollers and groups taking up the street. I had my best PR time up front with the crazies. LOL
  • lkyeomans
    lkyeomans Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    That is great, my first 5k is June 4th.
  • Jenyfur1
    Jenyfur1 Posts: 361
    Options
    THanks!! I am running my first one in the morning!
  • Jenyfur1
    Jenyfur1 Posts: 361
    Options
    THanks!! I am running my first one in the morning!
  • westcoastSW
    westcoastSW Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    Thanks for this! I'm running a 12-K next weekend. Good luck everyone!
  • gooberr4
    Options
    That is great, my first 5k is June 4th.

MINE TOO!!!! good luck!!!!!!
  • gooberr4
    Options
    I just read this article, too! If you are racing for a PR time do not go to the back of the pack. It will be difficult to get through children, strollers and groups taking up the street. I had my best PR time up front with the crazies. LOL

hahaha good to know! thanks!!!
  • rydn4h2o
    rydn4h2o Posts: 255
    Options
    bump!
  • sweetheart03622
    sweetheart03622 Posts: 928 Member
    Options
    My first is a week from tomorrow!!!
  • irishgal44
    irishgal44 Posts: 1,181 Member
    Options
    Love it and all was true. :)
  • szimba
    szimba Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    bump! Signed up for the warrior dash on june 12th and it will be my first 5k. Starting to get nervous!!
  • JAG1224
    JAG1224 Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    thanks for posting, i'm running my 1st 5k race tomorrow evening!
  • a_fit_me
    a_fit_me Posts: 103
    Options
    Bump..... Thanks for posting this. :)
  • ShaneT99
    ShaneT99 Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    I am by no means an expert but I completed my 5th or 6th 5K this morning. I love 5K's. Here's my advice.

BEFORE THE RACE:
    - Get there early and people watch. it's fun.
    - If you eat, don't eat much and do it at least an hour before your race.
    - If you drink, don't drink much.
    - Take advantage of the port-o-can before the race starts, otherwise nature will call at mile 1.5 with no toilets around.
    - Warm up. Since it takes my body about a mile to warm up and settle into what feels like good running to me, I like to jog a half mile to a mile about 20-30 minutes before the race starts. Do some light stretching after that and then walk around some to keep warm and loose.

DURING THE RACE:
    - Run at YOUR pace. Don't worry about how fast or slow everyone else is running.
    - Be aware of people around you. Especially when you're starting off and the crowd is still thick.
    - Don't start off too fast. It's easy to do in a race. Pace yourself so your don't burn out early.
    - Push yourself. If your goal is to run the whole thing, then run the whole thing. Slow down if you have to, but make yourself keep running. Even when it gets hard.
    - When you see the finish line, enjoy the cheers and finish strong and tall.

AFTER THE RACE:
    - Hydrate.
    - Eat a piece of fruit if you have it.
    - Stretch.
    - Celebrate your accomplishment!!
  • therealangd
    therealangd Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the all the tips and advice. My first 5k is May 22
  • pjrisher
    pjrisher Posts: 152
    Options
    I love this! I'm running my first in about a month and am already nervous!
  • funfitfoodie
    funfitfoodie Posts: 630 Member
    Options
    thanks for posting!
  • Jbauer41
    Jbauer41 Posts: 55
    Options
    Just ran my 1st 5K this morning. I about body-slammed the cheerleader along the way that clapped as I passed her and said "You're almost 1/2 way there." ALMOST HALF???? It was definitely a challenge and I am so glad that I finished. Would have appreciated these guidelines a month or two ago...

Good luck everybody -- the hardest part of the race was that last 1/2 mile with that finish line in place -- it just never seemed to get closer.
  • elizamc
    elizamc Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    Bump, thanks for tips!