Home and Work Pressure

Options
I say home mildy, I just mean family and friends outside. I really feel a lot of the people I work with and see regularly are very discouraging when it comes to dieting. I get lots of comments about what I eat whether their opinion is I eat too much, wrong stuff, or just push bad nutrition on me. How are some ways you guys deal with this?

Thanks,
-Petrina

Replies

• ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    If it's advice I'd say "Thank you, but I'm happy with what I'm doing." If it's offering of food you don't want just say "no thank you." If they keep asking just keep repeating the same thing until they go away. I've never had anyone ask more than twice.

I think where people get hung up is when they try to argue with people or give all the reasons they're doing what they're doing. I just don't even let it be a conversation. I give super short answers if there's a question and I don't argue back and forth.

But, like I said, people rarely comment. I think I may give off a vibe. :laugh:
  • tulips_and_tea
    tulips_and_tea Posts: 5,717 Member
    Options
    If it's advice I'd say "Thank you, but I'm happy with what I'm doing." If it's offering of food you don't want just say "no thank you." If they keep asking just keep repeating the same thing until they go away. I've never had anyone ask more than twice.

I think where people get hung up is when they try to argue with people or give all the reasons they're doing what they're doing. I just don't even let it be a conversation. I give super short answers if there's a question and I don't argue back and forth.

But, like I said, people rarely comment. I think I may give off a vibe. :laugh:

Same here! OP, learn to give off the "back off!" vibe. I just read in disbelief the threads here about all the comments people have to put up with regarding their food, their weight, their dietary habits, etc. WAY over the line, people! Learn to shut those comments down ASAP and focus on yourself. I know it's easier said than done, particularly when people think they mean well. Sorry I don't have better advice!
  • steveko89
    steveko89 Posts: 2,217 Member
    Options
    Hi Petrina. I know where you're coming from to an extent. I was on the chunky side growing up and my mom is still convinced I'm "too skinny" after losing 30 lbs in high school... ten years ago. I also had a coworker who, though would complain about being overweight, had very conflicting views on what constitutes a healthy build and appropriate intake in both quantity and content. I think there's a real possibility that some if not most people are just trying to be helpful and, also like most people, think they're always right. I think the best thing to remember with this type of situation is that what/how you eat is your choice; I also wouldn't be afraid to politely bring that up. Though these people know you they probably have no idea what your true goals and motives are, why you're choosing to eat what you eat. Unless these people have some real credibility or can back up what they say with more than their opinion they're probably not totally worth listening to. Ultimately, they probably just see you doing something that's foreign to them and/or different to what their opinions are. A lot of people have opinions of what "healthy" is in terms of size, body composition, food sources/consumption.

In some instances the best way to approach this may be to try and engage these folks in what you're doing, see if they maybe want to/need to make a change and just don't have the tools. However, regardless of what course you're on, I would make sure you can back up your methods before trying to create some new disciples.
  • mamasday2014
    Options
    I say home mildy, I just mean family and friends outside. I really feel a lot of the people I work with and see regularly are very discouraging when it comes to dieting. I get lots of comments about what I eat whether their opinion is I eat too much, wrong stuff, or just push bad nutrition on me. How are some ways you guys deal with this?

Thanks,
    -Petrina

Thanks,
    -Petrina

• mamasday2014
    Options

Thanks,
    -Petrina

Positive self talk is what you need..depending on your surroundings. At home you probably would talk to yourself more with boldness than at work. Something like "I'm doing this for me, when did they enlist me"..sarcasm. "I am my greatest source of cheer, let's hear it for..."..reinforcer. Find words to say to treat yourself as the coach, teacher, preacher, president, etc...you are.
  • Alidecker
    Alidecker Posts: 1,262 Member
    Options
    Work was tough in the beginning for me with food days at work and ordering out for lunch. After saying no enough times, no ones asks me to order anymore. Someone recently was giving me trouble because I made some high calorie dessert for a food day....she loved it and made a comment about how the most health conscience person in the department made the worst for me food.
    With my family and friends, it was easy to just eat less and they were super supportive. Now nothing is an issue, no one bothers me about what I do
  • Lrdoflamancha
    Lrdoflamancha Posts: 1,280 Member
    Options
    Ask me the first time.... I respond no thank you.
    When asked by the same person a second time.... I respond NO. Loudly
    When asked by the same person a third time.... I respond...what part of NO dont you understand?
    No one has had the cajones to ask me a fourth time...
  • petrinasupler
    petrinasupler Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I'll tell you what is really great about my "support" system is my 2 little boys 9 & 6 are very supportive in a great way. They remind me when I mention possibly eating something bad or when I don't feel like working out.

My problems are with my mom, siblings, people at church, and of course the office.