Fat loss without excersize?

Replies

• jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    I understand your reasons for not wanting to count (might become obsession) but I am wondering why you would use MFP if you are going to diet blind?

You can however lose weight without exercising, as long as you limit how much you are eating.
  • Aviva92
    Aviva92 Posts: 2,333 Member
    edited January 2015
    xxteeleexx wrote: »
    bw_conway wrote: »
    So you don't want to exercise or track your diet - maybe throw a penny in the wishing well at the mall and hope the weight magically disappears?

Thankyou for your answer, although I really wasn't looking for smart *kitten* comments, but genuine ones. Thanks.
    Mr_Knight wrote: »
    Is there any particular reason you think you'll become "obsessed"?

Because I am wondering how I will transition from loosing with tracking calories and then maintaining without. In other words I believe intuitively is better, because it comes naturally and can be more sustainable?
    psulemon wrote: »
    You can but it's no guarantee. Aim to get fruits, veggies, fish and lean proteins to start. Exercise makes it easier as you will burn more calories.

And you don't need formal exercise, just try to walk more (steps, park further away, etc..)

Thank you for the advice I agree with that, a clean diet would be foundation as they are natural and unprocessed!
    Driagnor wrote: »
    If you're not looking to count calories, a couple of things that might help are eating slowly and mindfully, stopping eating when you're about 80% full, and adding in extra fruit and veg into your meals.

It is definitely possible - I lost about 22 kg a few years back without counting calories or exercising before I discovered MFP or knew too much about nutrition.

That's amazing, well done for that. I also agree with the fullness I'm trying to work on that at the moment
    Aviva92 wrote: »
    Yeah, I lost weight prior to counting calories or discovering myfitnesspal, but I always gained it back.

I find that I don't really have to log anymore in order to maintain after I used the site to lose the weight, but I did have to log prior to losing the weight.

How did you handle the transition from logging to maintaining and not logging anymore, did any weight creep back on?
    I've lost 24lbs in 3mths with no exercise. I do however count my calories, otherwise I wouldn't have a clue how much or how little I was eating

I see, I guess it can be done then I just wanted to hear from people on here that have done it!
    jemhh wrote: »
    I lost the first 25 or so pounds without counting calories. I just changed the way I ate--a lot more fresh fruits and veggies and a lot fewer grains and sugary treats. Once I stalled doing that, I switched over to calorie counting. I was exercising pretty much the whole time though.

That sounds similar to what I have done and reading the comments I have kinda come to the conclusion that I should give calorie counting a chance, I just don't know how to transition to not counting and keeping the weight off.

I think I became more intuitive about it after I reached my goal. I'm not really sure exactly. The weight mostly stayed off for almost 2 years. It went up a couple pounds recently, so I'm tracking again a little bit, but I'll probably stop tracking again soon. I lost 35 pounds and got down to my high school weight and it's been pretty easy to keep it off for the most part. Not sure why exactly, but I guess I'm more intuitive about it as a result. I stopped counting calories a little higher than my ultimate weight. I forget exactly how much higher, maybe 5-10 pounds. Since I was so used to eating less, I wound up losing more weight. I wound up getting to a lower weight than I really intended to and bottomed out at 101 which is a little low for someone who is 5'4". Now I'm around 106 which is better. My highest weight after losing weight was around 108 which is still fine, but I got used to being in the 105-106 range and am comfortable there now.

I think you have to count calories at first in order to learn how to eventually be intuitive, since you probably lost that ability with gaining all the weight.
  • xxteeleexx
    xxteeleexx Posts: 10 Member
    SbetaK wrote: »
    Calorie counting/tracking is an eye-opener to what your eating habits are. I'd recommend a scale to weigh food also. Can get one at Walmart for around $12. Yes, it sounds obsessive, but almost EVERYONE underestimates what they eat if just guessing. Honestly, if you are determined to lose some weight and improve your health, you have to become a bit more vigilant and "obsessive" about what/how you eat. And if you're putting in the effort, some form of exercise such as simply walking will enhance it. Not trying to be "smart-a**ed", but if you come up with worries and make a resolve of things you DONT want to do, it can keep you from seeing the things you WANT to accomplish. Give it a try and work the positives into your routines. You are the only one that can stop or succeed in your progress. Good luck!

Your detailed comment is much appreciated! A real eye opener for me, from tomorrow I am going to start calorie counting so I can gain some sort of understanding and also keep in track :)
    kdeaux1959 wrote: »
    At that height... it will be difficult to lose and maintain 1200 calories or more. Exercise does not have to be "exercise"... Find some activity that you like to do and it can be fun.. Just move. Much easier that way.

Can you explain further what you mean by it will be difficult to loose and maintain 1200 calories or more at my height?
    Also, your idea of seeing movement instead of exercise helps :) Thanks
    So you don't want to exercise or track your diet - maybe throw a penny in the wishing well at the mall and hope the weight magically disappears?

Thankyou for your answer, although I really wasn't looking for smart *kitten* comments, but genuine ones. Thanks.

Yeah, it was a smartass answer, but really - it sounds like you want to get results without working for it. I think your likelihood of success would be much greater if you did the things that people who are successful at getting fit do: exercising and calorie counting.

Looking at it that way, I agree with the likelihood of success thing, I'm going to re jig my plan to loose these pounds.But please, don't be narrow minded, not all/most people calorie count in order to loose weight, although now I do think it will be easier to do so because of accuracy . Many people have lost weight in different ways and it's interesting to hear from them, examples being in this thread!
  • Aviva92
    edited January 2015
    I could also see eating too little if you're not counting, but just trying to eat less. I think I probably lost the first 10 pounds or so without counting and might have been eating too little. Eating too little isn't that great either and won't be sustainable. Better to count to know exactly how much you should eat and how you feel with that amount. Makes being intuitive later easier.
  • Bageeeta
    Bageeeta Posts: 1,259 Member
    I have entered two weight loss competitions in the past and the first one I just changed my diet and I came in third place and lost 40 lbs. The second one I exercised, worked out and changed my diet and came in second (lost 43lbs). (i gained the weight back after both competitions) You can loose weight both ways, but honestly in my opinion I feel you would be better off with including an exercise that is fun for you (dancing, etc...).
    As far as keeping it off... It is a long term commitment that I am learning myself. I've lost 85 lbs with 60 to go and it is a battle trying to keep my weight going down!
    I wish you the best which ever way you decide to loose it!
  • allanakern
    allanakern Posts: 245 Member
    calories in/out is the only scientific way to work. you will only become obsessed if you deprive yourself too much. make room for treats, eat plenty of protein, and you'll be satisfied.
  • xxteeleexx
    allanakern wrote: »
    calories in/out is the only scientific way to work. you will only become obsessed if you deprive yourself too much. make room for treats, eat plenty of protein, and you'll be satisfied.

Thankyou :)
    Bageeeta wrote: »
    I have entered two weight loss competitions in the past and the first one I just changed my diet and I came in third place and lost 40 lbs. The second one I exercised, worked out and changed my diet and came in second (lost 43lbs). (i gained the weight back after both competitions) You can loose weight both ways, but honestly in my opinion I feel you would be better off with including an exercise that is fun for you (dancing, etc...).
    As far as keeping it off... It is a long term commitment that I am learning myself. I've lost 85 lbs with 60 to go and it is a battle trying to keep my weight going down!
    I wish you the best which ever way you decide to loose it!

I believe the key words in your comment are 'it's a long term commitment', once you can find your balance that you are comfortable with, which will vary from person to person of course, maintaining should be fine. It's just unlearning bad habits which are hard. Well done on your weight loss by the way
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Mr_Knight wrote: »
    Is there any particular reason you think you'll become "obsessed"?

Because I am wondering how I will transition from loosing with tracking calories and then maintaining without. In other words I believe intuitively is better, because it comes naturally and can be more sustainable?

Seems to me that if "intuitively" came "naturally" there would be a lot fewer people on MFP...

• AliceDark
    AliceDark Posts: 3,886 Member
    You could use MFP to come up with a reasonable calorie target, split it up into targets for three meals and a snack (or however you want to outline your day), then come up with lists of options for each meal that hit those targets. Whether or not that allows you to lose depends on how closely each meal you eat fits into those goals. If you get lax with your food prep, you would slow your loss.

You don't have to count every single calorie in order to lose weight, but you are on a calorie tracker site so you have to take that into account when asking for input.
  • xxteeleexx
    AliceDark wrote: »
    You could use MFP to come up with a reasonable calorie target, split it up into targets for three meals and a snack (or however you want to outline your day), then come up with lists of options for each meal that hit those targets. Whether or not that allows you to lose depends on how closely each meal you eat fits into those goals. If you get lax with your food prep, you would slow your loss.

You don't have to count every single calorie in order to lose weight, but you are on a calorie tracker site so you have to take that into account when asking for input.

That sounds fair to do, it seems a lot easier and than going throughout the day and constantly counting. I'll take heed of that idea, thanks
  • skylark94
    skylark94 Posts: 2,036 Member
    edited January 2015
    Not counting calories or exercising is how I got fat. I got down to 123 pounds using MFP. I then stopped counting calories. Guess what happened? Over the course of a year I put 25 pounds back on. Sometimes you have to be willing to work for what you want and continue to count calories, even when you get into maintenance.

A calorie deficit alone will cause you to lose weight, but your body will be healthier if you exercise.
  • sherbear702
    sherbear702 Posts: 649 Member
    My mom lost 40 pounds with out calorie counting. Just smaller portions and smarter choices. She did walk almost every day though, which I'm sure helped. She's managed to keep the weight off going on 20 years now...
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    I prelog everything I'm going to eat for the day while I'm having my morning cuppa, it takes me like 2 minutes. This way it's easier to tweak things if I'm over or under
  • MKEgal
    MKEgal Posts: 3,250 Member
    edited January 2015
    xxteeleexx wrote:
    I am 5'2 weighing in at 162lbs with an initial goal of 150lbs and ultimate goal of 140lbs.
    At 5'2", going by BMI a healthy weight range is 105 - 130.

Using this calculator you can learn how many calories, and how many servings of which food groups, you should be eating. Put in a healthy goal weight (105-130) and plan your meals around the number of servings it says. That would be one possible way to more or less ignore calories. But make sure you're having the right number of servings: measure everything.
    I want to loose (sic) the extra pounds purely with diet change - I also am not keen on calorie counting because I personally think I may become obsessed and when it comes to maintaining I might have given myself a problem.
    "Most weight loss occurs because of decreased caloric intake.
    However, evidence shows the only way to maintain weight loss is to be engaged in regular physical activity."
    http://www.cdc.gov/healthyweight/physical_activity/index.html

How are you going to know that you're eating fewer calories if you're not paying attention to how many calories you're eating (currently, or in the future)?

Until paying attention to calories becomes more automatic, you're going to have to measure them. Log everything. Eventually you'll learn what 1T of peanut butter looks like, or 6 oz of chicken. Then maybe you can stop logging, until you gain weight & need to pay attention again.

51637601.png
  • Iwishyouwell
    Iwishyouwell Posts: 1,888 Member

I've lost massive amounts of weight before without relying on regular exercise or tracking.

No pennies were used in said quest.
  • Aviva92
    edited January 2015

I've lost massive amounts of weight before without relying on regular exercise or tracking.

did you keep it off? losing it just to regain it later isn't really an accomplishment.

not only is tracking good for calorie counting, but it's also good to see if you're meeting your nutritional needs.
  • JeffseekingV
    JeffseekingV Posts: 3,165 Member
    Aviva92 wrote: »

did you keep it off? losing it just to regain it later isn't really an accomplishment.

not only is tracking good for calorie counting, but it's also good to see if you're meeting your nutritional needs.

This. You have to really dive under you calorie goals to make sure you lose weight. Tracking is good as said. I track my protein intake
  • dsproffitt
    dsproffitt Posts: 11 Member
    I want to loose the extra pounds purely with diet change - I also am not keen on calorie counting

So, if you dont want to exercise and you dont like calorie counting, why are you here?
    This site promotes both?
    A recent article on the BBC website stated that it isnt the fact that you are overweight that will kill you, it is inactivity.

Weight loss needs a calorie deficit!
    Simple as ...

Dont exercise and dont count calories?
    Prepare for saggy unattractive skin under your arms, chin and around your middle
  • Spocky
    Spocky Posts: 62 Member
    Seeing new muscles on you can be a great motivation for you to keep on exercising and losing weight. You can gain muscles if you don't starve yourself and eat more protein, less carbs.
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Several years ago, I lost around 70lbs without exercise and without counting calories. I told myself that I could have no more than 500 calories each meal and educated myself on how much food that was. My usual diet was a bowl of cereal for breakfast, a salad for dinner, and something light for supper, like soup.I learned to welcome feeling hungry between meals. I'm pretty sure that there were days when I was well under 1500, but since I wasn't counting calories, I don't know by how much.