gluten free vegan?

Options
I am working with my pcp to figure out whether I am gluten intolerat and possibly lactose intolerant too. I've been experiencing belly trouble and before doing anything drastic (lol) she's suggested I try gluten free food for a while then try dairy free for a while too. I am already vegetarian so this will make me vegan. The problem I'm running into is gluten free having dairy. So anyone know of gluten free vegan foods?

Replies

• Laurend224
    Laurend224 Posts: 1,748 Member
    Options
    Tofu, nuts, beans, fruits, vegetables,lentils, nut butters.....rice, corn, oatmeal (check packaging on that) quinoa..........

• sassicas
    Options
    I would look for recipes for paleo. They are grain free and dairy free. I am sure you can find vegetarian paleo
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    Vegetarian paleo? I don't think so.

OP, try beans, bean pastas (Explore Asia brand), gluten-free oats, tofu, edamame, nuts, nut butters, lentils... oh my goodness, the things you can do with lentils! (lentil shepherds pie with sweet potato topping, lentil loaf that's gluten free, lentil burgers, lentil "meat"balls, lentil taco "meat" for taco salad or on corn tortillas) vegetables, rice, and quinoa.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,020 Member
    Options
    Do one then the other, not both at the same time..... and for at least a month each. If you were celiac you would probably know it...... more than likely it's a grain intolerance. Try goat products for lactose problems.
  • angiew18
    angiew18 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Do one then the other, not both at the same time..... and for at least a month each. If you were celiac you would probably know it...... more than likely it's a grain intolerance. Try goat products for lactose problems.

A grain intolerance..hmm never thought of that. Honestly, up until recently I ate like a toddler (chicken nuggets, macaroni, turkey sandwiches etc) so everything healthy is fairly new to me. I'll mention that to my pcp also thank you.
  • angiew18
    Options
    Laurend224 wrote: »
    Tofu, nuts, beans, fruits, vegetables,lentils, nut butters.....rice, corn, oatmeal (check packaging on that) quinoa..........

Thanks, I have learned not that long ago that I like most of those items..my problem is not knowing proper ways to prepare them and/or pair them with to make a meal. Any recipe ideas?
  • angiew18
    Options
    Vegetarian paleo? I don't think so.

OP, try beans, bean pastas (Explore Asia brand), gluten-free oats, tofu, edamame, nuts, nut butters, lentils... oh my goodness, the things you can do with lentils! (lentil shepherds pie with sweet potato topping, lentil loaf that's gluten free, lentil burgers, lentil "meat"balls, lentil taco "meat" for taco salad or on corn tortillas) vegetables, rice, and quinoa.

Wow that's quite the enthusiastic answer I need lol
    Thanks
    I've never tried lentils, that all sounds good..guess I gotta try.
  • amyonfiree
    amyonfiree Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I have a Cook book called "the gluten free vegan" that you should check out!
  • bkerr30
    bkerr30 Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    There is a baking cookbook called "the flying apron cookbook". The recipes are really good, I'm gluten free (not vegan) and have used these over and over again. Even my wedding cake (which I made myself) came from this book
  • angiew18
    Options
    amyonfiree wrote: »
    I have a Cook book called "the gluten free vegan" that you should check out!

Awesome Thanks
  • tiffanybrooks530
    tiffanybrooks530 Posts: 140 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    fruits, veggies, potatoes, spinach, kale, quinoa, corn base cereal, oatmeal, bok choy, mushrooms, oranges, bananas, zucchini, split pea soup, hemp protein powder (for shakes) lentils

(since u have tummy issues i would also cut out beans/gas producing products) I also have stomach issues and I "use" to be vegetarian but it was evident that it did not stop the belly problems, only got worst from all the bean products and gluten fake meats. :(

I try to stick to plant-base process free, its a challange so i also include lactose free milk once in a while. Gluten-free (rice or corn base) pastas, Sourdough bread (less gluten than regular bread) Minimize fried foods & comfort foods (mac & cheese, pizza etc)

Now i also integrated an ibs/fodmap routine, the fodmap takes into account certain sugars that the body has trouble breaking down. A lot of sacrificing but everytime i fall into bad habits my tummy reminds me of the consequence...

hope this helps :)

https://stanfordhealthcare.org/programs-services/nutrition-services/resources/low-fodmap-diet.html
    https://stanfordhealthcare.org/content/dam/SHC/for-patients-component/programs-services/clinical-nutrition-services/docs/pdf-lowfodmapdiet.pdf
    http://www.ibsdiets.org/fodmap-diet/fodmap-food-list/

• jordanveg
    jordanveg Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Kris Carr is a gluten free vegan, has a lifestyle book, and a cookbook out, as well as recipes on her website, kriscarr.com Check her out! Happy herbivore is another vegan that is mostly gluten free.
  • angiew18
    Options
    fruits, veggies, potatoes, spinach, kale, quinoa, corn base cereal, oatmeal, bok choy, mushrooms, oranges, bananas, zucchini, split pea soup, hemp protein powder (for shakes) lentils

(since u have tummy issues i would also cut out beans/gas producing products) I also have stomach issues and I "use" to be vegetarian but it was evident that it did not stop the belly problems, only got worst from all the bean products and gluten fake meats. :(

I try to stick to plant-base process free, its a challange so i also include lactose free milk once in a while. Gluten-free (rice or corn base) pastas, Sourdough bread (less gluten than regular bread) Minimize fried foods & comfort foods (mac & cheese, pizza etc)

Now i also integrated an ibs/fodmap routine, the fodmap takes into account certain sugars that the body has trouble breaking down. A lot of sacrificing but everytime i fall into bad habits my tummy reminds me of the consequence...

hope this helps :)

https://stanfordhealthcare.org/programs-services/nutrition-services/resources/low-fodmap-diet.html
    https://stanfordhealthcare.org/content/dam/SHC/for-patients-component/programs-services/clinical-nutrition-services/docs/pdf-lowfodmapdiet.pdf
    http://www.ibsdiets.org/fodmap-diet/fodmap-food-list/

Wow this great thank you
  • angiew18
    Options
    jordanveg wrote: »
    Kris Carr is a gluten free vegan, has a lifestyle book, and a cookbook out, as well as recipes on her website, kriscarr.com Check her out! Happy herbivore is another vegan that is mostly gluten free.

I will check it out :)
  • angiew18
    Options
    Thank you everyone for your support and suggestions. A lot of things to look into and think about. <3
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 10,020 Member
    Options
    angiew18 wrote: »

Thanks, I have learned not that long ago that I like most of those items..my problem is not knowing proper ways to prepare them and/or pair them with to make a meal. Any recipe ideas?

and
    A grain intolerance..hmm never thought of that. Honestly, up until recently I ate like a toddler (chicken nuggets, macaroni, turkey sandwiches etc) so everything healthy is fairly new to me. I'll mention that to my pcp also thank you.

How long ago is "not that long ago" and "recently"? Did you tell your physician about this recent diet change? If you've significantly increased your fiber intake (which both of these quotes suggest is a strong possibility), your "belly trouble" (it would help if you clarified what you mean by that) could simply be a matter of your body adjusting to new levels of fiber. A big boost in fiber can lead to bloating, discomfort, pain, constipation or diarrhea. Better to increase your fiber gradually.

• LadyTalulah
    LadyTalulah Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    This is so weird, I'm going through the same thing! I'm vegetarian and am having some digestive issues lately and I think it's due to either lactose or gluten.
    As some one else mentioned, don't cut them both out at once! You won't know which is causing the problem and you'll be needlessly limiting yourself.
    I'm cutting lactose at the moment and so far feel great. One thing I can suggest is to get a vegan protein powder. It is hard enough for a vegan to get their daily dose of protein through lentils and beans but if you lift weights it's near impossible! You can get vegan protein powder in the supplement stores in North America if I'm not mistaken. I'm going to order it on bodybuilding (dot) com because you can't get it where I live. (No, I'm not associated with them or anything, just trying to help you out).
    Look up Paleo recipes, it's so big right now that just about anything can be made gluten-free and lactose-free! Of course a lot of the main recipes contain meat, but for dessert / bread / shake ideas it's great!
    But sorry to break it to you, but I don't think being gluten-free, lactose-free AND vegetarian is a sustainable lifestyle choice. That's basically a vegetarian Paleo which I've researched quite a lot and it's just not possible. A diet like that is too limiting in the long term. If you are intolerant to both gluten and lactose, you will probably have to give up being vegetarian!
    Hope everything works out :)
  • angiew18
    Options
    angiew18 wrote: »

and

How long ago is "not that long ago" and "recently"? Did you tell your physician about this recent diet change? If you've significantly increased your fiber intake (which both of these quotes suggest is a strong possibility), your "belly trouble" (it would help if you clarified what you mean by that) could simply be a matter of your body adjusting to new levels of fiber. A big boost in fiber can lead to bloating, discomfort, pain, constipation or diarrhea. Better to increase your fiber gradually.

Thanks for your feedback, I haven't just drastically increased my fiber (though I asked myself if I've been eatting to much at times (mfp helps monitor that now)!)
    I haven't experienced any constipation or diarrhea just right after I eat (finish a meal) within 5 minutes my belly feels bloated and looks as if I went up a pant size.