Mindset is Probably 90%

Options
They say when it comes to weight loss that diet is 80% and activity is 20%. What a lot of places don't take into account is a person's mind, and considering most overweight people have body issues, this seems like a huge wtf situation to me.

I have a belief that if a person's mind isn't ready, they won't have lasting results. I lost 50 pounds back in 2013. I was 200lbs, which I thought was amazing because I hadn't weighed that since 8th grade. I gained it all back after my grandmother died because I wasn't emotionally able to handle her death any other way besides eating my grief. But that's the thing, her death was just what pushed me over the edge. I had already been starting to fail and I knew it. This sounds bad, but it's as if I was looking for a reason to quit dieting, and she gave me an out. Sorry Grandma...I know you were so proud of me for the weight I had lost...

It goes back to the point...why was I already starting to give up? It's because I wasn't happy with what I was doing. I wasn't in a great place mentally. I was living at home with my parents who fought constantly. I was working 10 hour midnight shifts at a job that I absolutely hated. I would come home, and if my parents weren't already awake and fighting, I would cry myself to sleep. Looking back, I don't know how I even managed to be successful enough to lose that weight. I just wasn't emotionally there.

I am hoping that I don't quit this time. I feel different about it. I'm not beating myself up as much. I'm not as stressed about family situations because I don't live at home anymore. I have a job that I love and I'm working more normal hours now. It's still early into this attempt, but I really feel like this time it will be different. I don't really know where I'm going with this post, but I figure it would be an interesting topic to discuss.

Replies

• J2015L
    J2015L Posts: 7
    Options
    Completely agree with your post. If a person isn't ready mentally they will always go back, you make a good point with being happy with what you're doing; that is also very important.
    I started off with a small goal rather than say 100lb in 6 months, the less realistic you are the harder you will be on yourself for not reaching the goals you set even though you are losing the weight. It instills negativity before you've even begun fully.
    Your honesty regarding your grandma's passing (condolences by the way) is admirable, we have all been in excuse mode before, but the fact you acknowledge it is a step in the right direction.
    I hope your journey goes better this time round, good luck!
    Jay
  • sherbear702
    sherbear702 Posts: 649 Member
    Options
    You're right, your mind has to be ready too. I'm a perfect example; just about this time last year I decided "Yep, this is the year. It's time. I AM going to lose 30 pounds and look hot for Las Vegas for my 30th Birthday"

I told myself that literally every month and just about every week. I'd have a bad day and say "Well...I'll just be bad the rest of this week and start over on Monday" Then the next week would be the same thing. Weeks turned into months and needless to say, I did not lose 30 pounds before my birthday, but Las Vegas was still a rip roarin' good time!

I don't know what changed, but one day in December my weight loss mentality clicked into place and I was like "Yep, I'm tired of being a chunk" and I've lost 15 pounds so far. You really and truly do have to be mentally prepared. Some people are better at it than others.
  • MindySaysWhaaat
    MindySaysWhaaat Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    Thanks for your replies. I just wish that there was more in terms of helping people with the emotional stuff they deal with when it comes to weight loss. Everyone talks about how to curb "cravings" and things like that, but there's usually a lot more underneath the skin of someone who is overweight.

I told myself on January 1st for years that I could lose 80 pounds by my August 8th birthday and basically it never happened. I am still not telling myself that. I'm happy with slowly losing weight this time. I'll just be happy that I'm any number under 265.
  • AbsoluteTara79
    AbsoluteTara79 Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    So true. Maybe start writing down some stress management strategies now that don't involve food so that you're prepared for when life inevitably throws something your way. And from there it's practice and slowly building new coping strategies until they're integrated into your life.