I Need Pizza Recipes...Stat!

Options
msmiriam
msmiriam Posts: 22 Member
Here's the deal...I'm addicted to pizza. I love it! But the only problem is, I get way off track everytime I eat a slice or two. I need a pizza recipe that is much more healthy. My bathroom scale implores you! Thanks!

Replies

• rache12581
    rache12581 Posts: 54
    Options
    I LOVE pizza too. Here is what I do...I buy a boboli whole wheat crust. Mids pizza sauce (b/c it's lowest in calories). Top with a fat free mozerrella cheese. I try to load with veggies & go a little lighter on the cheese.
    If you want meat on it try using turkey pepperoni (it's right next to the regualar stuff) or italian turkey sausage by butterball
  • jagh09
    jagh09 Posts: 555 Member
    Options
    I've found some pretty cool ideas on this site, for healthier pizza alternatives

http://www.eatingwell.com/recipes_menus/collections/healthy_pizza_recipes
  • brendalyne
    brendalyne Posts: 497
    Options
    I use either "flat-outs", or low carb tortillas (80 cals for a large one) and use that as my crust. Add some pizza sauce and your toppings (lots of veggies) and a small amount of cheese (I use 1/3 cup) and bake. Depending on your toppings, it could be anywhere from 200 cals to the 350 range. It makes a very crispy crust, which I love and it satisfies my pizza craving. In fact it's on the menu for me tonight!
  • brendalyne
    brendalyne Posts: 497
    Options
    I use either "flat-outs", or low carb tortillas (80 cals for a large one) and use that as my crust. Add some pizza sauce and your toppings (lots of veggies) and a small amount of cheese (I use 1/3 cup) and bake. Depending on your toppings, it could be anywhere from 200 cals to the 350 range. It makes a very crispy crust, which I love and it satisfies my pizza craving. In fact it's on the menu for me tonight!

I meant 1/4 cup cheese - not 1/3 cup!
  • capricorn144
    capricorn144 Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    You have to make the homemade Pita pizza with fresh veggies, and some low fat cheeses/ some tomato sauce and or ricotta to get you through.
    it works for me...load up on the veggies.
  • jazgal
    jazgal Posts: 122
    Options
    Whole Wheat Flax seed pizza crust

Ingredients
    2.25 tsp. active dry yeast
    1 c. warm water
    2 c. whole wheat flour
    1/4 c flax seed meal
    1 tsp salt
    1 tbsp honey or brown sugar

Directions .. you can make 2 smaller pizzas with this ... roll out thin ..
    Mix yeast and honey or brown sugar in warm water. Sprinkle yeast on top. Let sit 10 minutes until foamy. In large bowl, mix flour and flax seed meal with salt. Add yeast mixture. Mix until all flour is incorporated. Knead approx. five minutes. Let rise 20-30 minutes. Roll out, place on pizza pan or stone . poke with fork several times. Bake in 350 degree oven for 5-10 minutes.

Brush pizza with olive oil, sprinkle with ore gano and some garlic powder ( not garlic salt) add tomato sauce ...
    Put your topping on ... watch your ingredients .. fats etc. I like it with peppers, onions, mushrooms and some spinach ( frozen with water squeezed out)
    . Return to oven & bake at 425F for 10-12 minutes more, until veggies are cooked & crust is slightly brown.
  • polybecca
    polybecca Posts: 9
    Options
    I have always been a fan of English Muffin Pizzas!! you can find some low calorie English Muffins, spread with a tomato sauce, low fat mozzarella cheese. Add some of your favorite veggies, and toss it into the toaster.
    Yummy!!! :happy:
  • camwee
    camwee Posts: 4
    Options
    I saw this on here yesterday and will mos def be trying it out.

Cauliflower Pizza Crust

http://blog.yourlighterside.com/2009/05/low-carb-pizza-dough-cauliflower.html
  • rainunrefined
    rainunrefined Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    I make pizzas on tortillas. I used the taco size with generic pizza sauce (usually 1/2 the amount for 1 serving per tortilla), 1 serving of shredded mozzorella. Then whatever toppings I have... turkey deli meat, canadian bacon, turkey pepperoni, pineapple, bell peppers, mushrooms, onions.... Then I put it on the grill or in a grill pan, in the toaster over, or just in a dry frying pan. let the bottom (tortilla) get crunchy then close the lid until the cheese melts. YUM!
  • sam456
    sam456 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Taco pizza!! It has half the calories of take out pizza :)

http://happyheartrecipes.blogspot.com/

- sam456
    Follow me on my blog!
    http://happyheartrecipes.blogspot.com/
  • rundgrenfan
    rundgrenfan Posts: 211
    Options
    If you can bake, making your own crust gives you total control over the size and thickness of your pizza.
  • m12brown
    m12brown Posts: 51
    Options
    I found these pita flatbreads at Walmart in the bread aisle. They are made by Joseph's middle east bakery, made of oat and flax and are reduced in carbs. I usually lightly brush with some olive oil to help crisp up the crust. Here is the nutrition info:
    Joseph's Middle East Bakery
    Reduced Carb/Flax, Oat Bran & Whole Wheat Pita Bread
    6 pack
    Nutrition Facts
    Serving Size: 1 Pita (37g/1.33oz)
    Servings Per Container: 6

Total Calories 60

Calories From Fat 20

Total Fat 2 g 3%

Saturated Fat 0 g 0%

Trans Fat 0 g

Cholesterol 0 mg 0%

Sodium 300 mg 13%

Total Carbohydrates 8 g 3%

Dietary Fiber 4 g 16%

Sugars 0 g

Show Net Carbs
    Net Carbs
    Minus Fiber 4 g

Protein 6 g

Vitamin A 0%
    Vitamin C 0%
    Calcium 0%
    Iron 0%
  • msmiriam
    msmiriam Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much! I am so excited to try out these good ideas! Pat yourselves on the back--you are helping me stay on the straight and narrow!
  • m12brown
    m12brown Posts: 51
    Options
    I just had pizza tonight using the pita and it was yummy!
  • lisa35120
    lisa35120 Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    I have always been a fan of English Muffin Pizzas!! you can find some low calorie English Muffins, spread with a tomato sauce, low fat mozzarella cheese. Add some of your favorite veggies, and toss it into the toaster.
    Yummy!!! :happy:

LOVE English muffin pizzas! You could also try whole wheat bagels, or bagel thins.. those would be great too!
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    I use this crust recipe, except I only use whole wheat flour, no white flout at all: http://allrecipes.com//Recipe/amazing-whole-wheat-pizza-crust/Detail.aspx It actually freezes really well, so I make two batches, cook up one pizza and freeze the other three.

For sauce, I use tomato paste mixed with finely chopped onions and oregano.

For toppings, I use lots of veggies, usually mushrooms, artichokes and olives. You can also get reduced fat or turkey pepperoni and reduced fat mozzarella.

I have entered the crust recipe into my recipes, and I have a separate entry for "standard toppings" so that it is easy to enter when I use different toppings, as well.
  • lisa35120
    lisa35120 Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    Homemade pizza sauce is great too, and way lower in sodium & calories than some of the brands of pizza sauce you find in the store. I just mix a can of tomato sauce, tomato paste, oregano, garlic, onion powder, paprika, and a little bit of sugar.
  • deeharley
    deeharley Posts: 1,208 Member
    Options
    You have to make the homemade Pita pizza with fresh veggies, and some low fat cheeses/ some tomato sauce and or ricotta to get you through.
    it works for me...load up on the veggies.

This - I love loading veggies on a whole wheat pita. Sometimes, I will even slice a tomato and sprinkle some oregano instead of sauce.
  • mideon_696
    mideon_696 Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    Do away with the crust, this ruins all "healthy" pizza.

Ever heard of the "meatza"???

http://library-rss.crossfit.com/free/rss/pdf/CFJ_Meatza_Recipe_March2011.pdf

Its a very good meal....and extremely tasty!
    imma make another one this week i think, :p
    make sure you top it with some guacamole and salsa(home made is best!) to make it a balanced meal!!

then enjoy guilt free pizza. I love it, everyone i know who tried it loves it.
    Well worth the offort!!

The video is for members only(like me), but is probably on youtube.
  • xraychick77
    xraychick77 Posts: 1,775 Member
    Options
    artichoke, black olives, mushrooms, feta cheese, whole spinach, whole sliced tomatos