Tips for juggling family and weight loss

Options
Hi everyone, I am looking for tips on how to juggle taking care of your families needs and your own desire to lose weight.

I have a 1 year old daughter who keeps me very busy and a husband that is a very picky eater.

I have tried a few thing but was met with a lot of protest and complaints. First I tried taking my daughter to the gym daycare but she flipped out because of separation anxiety and the other kids we just to big. Then I tried doing videos during nap time but I only have about hour and half to eat, clean the house and work out. Just not enough time. Lastly I tried going to gym after I put the baby to bed but by the time we eat dinner and my husband does his gym routine its late and I am to tired. Finally my last stick effort to put me first I tried getting up for the gym before everyone else's day starts but that was leaving me really cranky and dragging the rest of the day I wasn't getting anything done.

So needless to say I need help :)

Replies

• kaitlinfurby13
    kaitlinfurby13 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I have a one year old as well. Does she go in a play pen? Mine won't, but you could do exercises at home while she is in there if she will. I play Just Dance on our play station as my workout because my son loves to dance so it keeps him occupied as well for the most part. You could also possibly make an agreement with your husband where you swap who gets to go to the gym every other day. That way it is fair and you both get gym time.
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    Why working out helps, you can lose weight just by reducing what you eat.
  • zdyb23456
    zdyb23456 Posts: 1,706 Member
    Options
    do you have a stroller? when my kids were babies that's all I did - took them for walks in the stroller. if the weather is yucky, you could always take her to the mall to walk. you'll find you're not the only mom there doing the same thing.
  • ArkMom35
    ArkMom35 Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    I have four children so I know how busy life can be. Can you wear her while you exercise? Will she sit in a jumperoo/exersaucer? I exercise the second my LO goes down for her first nap, that way it gets done and out of the way. Sometimes the house loses out, but you know what, I need to take care of myself right now, for once.
  • Zinka61
    Zinka61 Posts: 523 Member
    Options
    Yup, when my 2 were that age, I popped them in the stroller and walked for miles. And you can get them started tasting healthy snacks you make in hopes of getting them used to the kind of food you want them to be eating.
  • tinapi96
    tinapi96 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    I would exercise when she napped and pop her in the playpen to straighten up the house while she was awake. I have three children and when they were little guys I would pop them into the pack and play and roll them from room to room with me. Sometimes I would do it so I could exercise (my middle one) and the other two so I could straighten up one last time before my husband came home and I could start getting dinner ready.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    where does your husband fit into all of this? I ride about 80ish miles per week (more when I'm training) and lift 3x per week....my wife takes care of the kids needs during these times...conversely, my wife is a 1/2 marathoner and lifts 3x weekly and I reciprocate...

Maybe have your husband pitch in a bit more...and tell him to stop being so picky, he's not four.
  • AbsoluteTara79
    AbsoluteTara79 Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    i have a 3-yr old and 1-yr old. I go to the gym after they go to bed. Could you and your husband alternate days and then do home routines on home days?
  • LAWoman72
    LAWoman72 Posts: 2,846 Member
    Options
    zdyb23456 wrote: »
    do you have a stroller? when my kids were babies that's all I did - took them for walks in the stroller. if the weather is yucky, you could always take her to the mall to walk. you'll find you're not the only mom there doing the same thing.

Me too! Double stroller (children three years apart) and just walking, walking, walking everywhere. (And I was definitely slimmer then than I am now, by about 40 lbs., actually.)

• Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Eat your normal food, stay within your calories, load up baby in a stroller, and walk. It doesn't have to be complicated. Serious.

Consistently do this and you will lose.
  • ogmomma2012
    ogmomma2012 Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    A new routine IS going to piss you off and make you crabby until you really get into it. Sounds like you are making excuses. I have a 2 year old. I work full-time. I have lost 40lbs in 6 months by walking and reducing my intake. You don't need to include your husband in your healthy eating unless he wants to join you. There are videos that range from 10min to 45min so if you want to get up only 1 hour earlier than everyone else, you can fit in some exercise. Intake is the most important. If you really want to lose weight, you will find a way to prioritize your exercise.
  • Wiseandcurious
    Wiseandcurious Posts: 730 Member
    Options
    You could also possibly make an agreement with your husband where you swap who gets to go to the gym every other day. That way it is fair and you both get gym time.

This. Having to get up while others still sleep is not "putting you first".
  • renaore
    renaore Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    You could try doing group fitness classes with other Moms and their kiddos. No Excuse Moms is free and you can search to see if there is a group close to where you live. http://www.noexcusemom.com/ That way you can exercise with your daughter while she is awake and get support from other moms. :) Good luck!
  • Camo_xxx
    Camo_xxx Posts: 1,082 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    where does your husband fit into all of this? I ride about 80ish miles per week (more when I'm training) and lift 3x per week....my wife takes care of the kids needs during these times...conversely, my wife is a 1/2 marathoner and lifts 3x weekly and I reciprocate...

Maybe have your husband pitch in a bit more...and tell him to stop being so picky, he's not four.

This ^

Assuming your husband is the child's father have him watch the wee one an hour a day. Even if he is working 70 hours a week. This is why 2 parents are better then 1. Workload distribution and shared time management.
  • karimamjohnson
    karimamjohnson Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I get up early in the morning 3xs per week while my 4 month old, 3 year old, and husband are all asleep....
  • dougpconnell219
    dougpconnell219 Posts: 566 Member
    Options
    You need to make your husband understand that this is important to you, and he needs to help you make it happen.

Do you have any family in the area who can frequently babysit? A friend who also has children? Perhaps you could make a deal. You watch hers while she does whatever she does, then she watches yours while you go workout.

And if separation anxiety is the issue... You're gonna have to get her used to it someday. May as well be now.

(btw, I have no children and freely admit that I am just talking out of my butt here).
  • Victoriaspivey
    Victoriaspivey Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I'm a sahm to 4 children , I fix me a batch of chicken breast (weigh them first) and I will have my chicken for dinner all week. I go to the gym 6 days a week 1 hr to 1.5 hrs a day. Maybe your husband needs to cut back his routine to everyother day so you can go to the gym on his off days. Explain to your husband this is important to you, if you want it bad enough you will make it work into your schedule.
  • softblondechick
    softblondechick Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options
    I think your husband should come home and take care his baby while you go exercise. And he can fix his own "picky" eater dinner while spending time with his baby. You come home, he can go exercise.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    In a few months she might be old enough to deal with the gym. In the meantime, pay someone to watch her while you go to the gym.
  • lina011
    lina011 Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    I have a two yr old and 6 month old I don't attend a gym because I don't want to pay fees for childcare and fuel and gym , I exercise at home either on my elliptical 20 min when my 6 month old naps around 9am my 2 yr old watches tv or plays quietly, I also try and keep busy during the day I have a garmin vivofit which counts steps etc. my partner is picky but we eat the same meals I just eat a smaller portion , i also ,before dinner get a 30 min workout either 21 day fix or t25 or insanity max 30 I must admit my 6 month old isn't quiet the whole time so I stop every 15 min or so but I get it done ! I also have a double jogger so if all fails I take the kids for a jog early morning or before dinner. My partner refuses to watch the children can't handle apparently so I have no choice :(