Dealing with potlucks at the office

Options
I struggle at work because we constantly have potlucks, any advice?

Replies

• AllOutof_Bubblegum
    AllOutof_Bubblegum Posts: 3,646 Member
    Options
    Get in the habit of bringing sack lunches to work. Eat them right before the potluck begins so you're less tempted to want to eat anything else.

Or have small portions of what you want at the potlucks, and fit it into your goals.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    We do quarterly potlucks at my work. I take something that I can fill up on like salad or a veggie tray. Then I mostly stick to whatever protein options there are, like meatballs or sausage (one guy always brings sausage and peppers.) I steer away from the chips and sweets because I tend to overindulge but I like the meat stuff enough that I don't feel deprived.
  • frksfrau
    frksfrau Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I will usually just bring my own lunch or I will bring a meal for the potluck that I can eat. Then, I will bring a salad just in case there is nothing else I can eat. Good Luck.
  • codycsweet
    codycsweet Posts: 1,019 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    We have monthly potlucks and Monday is a potluck day. I just take small portions so I can try what I want and then make sure I have some healthy snacks I don't eat store bought things I could try anytime or would normally not eat. I prefer homemade stuff
  • yayamom3
    yayamom3 Posts: 939 Member
    Options
    I just bring my own lunch and sit with everyone else to eat.
  • rileylovesarchie
    rileylovesarchie Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I find stuff like this really hard. For me it's easier to just get out of it somehow or stay and stuff my face and then start over again tomorrow.

Really hard to be moderate around the kind of foods that come up at potlucks or try to eat like dressing-less salads while others eat the good stuff in front of you
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    Well if it's a pot luck, just eat mostly the thing you bring? I try to stick to meat and veggies at that sort of thing.
  • Camo_xxx
    Camo_xxx Posts: 1,082 Member
    Options
    Potlucks are a great way to test how well you have developed your calorie counting skills. Think of them as a field test for your calorie counting. By the end of your fat loss journey you should be able to eyeball just about any dish and estimate it's macro content and appropriate portion size and calculate a fair calorie total. Start by eating the proper portions of basic items before moving onto complex dishes and meals. Track and critique your efforts. In this manner you are developing new and useful life skills.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    have a reasonable plate of food, not an overflowing plate X4 or whatever. learning portion control is ultimately essential to long term success...
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options
    Portion control.
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    Just because you can eat as much as you want doesn't mean you have to. I actually have a better time with potluck than I do at the cafeteria, because I can take a little and leave the rest.
  • Camo_xxx
    Camo_xxx Posts: 1,082 Member
    Options

Moral of the story is, just because you are in fat loss mode doesn't mean you can't eat at a social event.
    Just stick to the plan.
  • alxmojarro
    Options
    Thank you guys!
  • BWBTrish
    BWBTrish Posts: 2,817 Member
    Options
    lol i stopped doing potlucks at all. I saw some kitchens were the food came from.

Forever cured!
  • BWBTrish
    BWBTrish Posts: 2,817 Member
    Options
    ow and because most people cook with salt, my excuse is easy. I cant have it. :) sorry