Does anyone know if lactose intolerance can develop into a full on food allergy?

Options
Lately, no matter what I eat, I get itchy around my mouth and the bottom half of my face. Sometimes I even get a rash around my mouth. My mom suggested that maybe I'm developing an allergy to dairy, since I've been lactose intolerant for years. Is that a thing that can happen, or is this some other kind of issue?

Replies

• HeySwoleSister
    HeySwoleSister Posts: 1,938 Member
    Options
    You could be developing an allergy -- the location makes me think of food, but also facial lotions, cleansers, or clothes detergents if you live in a turtleneck-wearing climate.

Lactose Intolerance is an intestinal flora issue, not an allergy. So, while you may be developing an allergy of some kind, the lactose intolerance is not really involved either way.

See an allergist for a test on common allergens, it's important to know if you do have an actual allergy. Reactions tend to get worse with repeated exposures, so today's rash could be tomorrows hives and the next day's anaphalaxis.
  • jordipie55
    jordipie55 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much for the input. I don't generally use face lotions or cleaners or turtlenecks, so I'm guessing that narrows it down to food issues D= Thanks again for taking the time to help me.
  • evolution328
    evolution328 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Lactose intolerance means that your body does not produce any enzyme that can break down lactose, it doesn't have anything to do with your immune system. It does sound like you're allergic to something, but the lactose intolerance would be unrelated to that.
  • jennyblacker
    jennyblacker Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    You can develop an allergy to milk, but it won't be related to the lactose intolerance.

Milk allergies are an allergy to the protein in milk, the only real way to know is to cut out dairy all together, except this includes dairy extracts (casein being the main word used). I'm not sure where you are, but if you're in the US you'll find this extra tricky as 'non-dairy' doesn't actually mean 'dairy free'. You then need to (carefully/slowly) reintroduce dairy and see if that causes a reaction.

There's only small amount of info on non-babies online, but http://cowsmilkproteinallergysupport.webs.com/ is a reasonable place to start. If you're already avoiding dairy because of lactose you might find it simple, but if you're just using lactose free stuff you'll have to swap that out too (I can highly recommend hemp milk! Sounds odd, tastes lovely)
  • jordipie55
    Options
    Thanks to everyone for the help. I think I'll try dumping the dairy for the next while and see if the itchiness goes away; if yes, brilliant, I'll just miss out on cheese forever, if not, I'll try to get an appointment with an allergist to see if they can place what's going on. Thanks again for the help.
  • jennyblacker
    Options
    As a heads up, from someone with a milk protein allergy, it's really not as simple as "this is dairy", you will have to look at ingredient lists

Oh, and my allergy doesn't show up on tests, despite going into full anaphylaxis at the mere whiff of cream :(

Non-cooked/bacteria altered dairy and extracts are what you need to look out for
  • jordipie55
    Options
    Okay, I think I got all that, thanks so much <3

How would it not show up on tests?? That's actually kind of terrifying. Do you just determine whether or not you're positive for an allergy by seeing if you improve to cutting it out of your diet?
  • Steph_135
    Steph_135 Posts: 3,280 Member
    Options
    Even if nothing is in the test, it could still be a sensitivity. Some special types of naturopathic doctors could find that out. I have many sensitivities (including cow dairy). Or you could try an elimination diet for a while (stop eating all dairy and see if your symptoms go away, and then try eating it again and see if they return). Good luck!
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,988 Member
    Options
    jordipie55 wrote: »
    Lately, no matter what I eat, I get itchy around my mouth and the bottom half of my face. Sometimes I even get a rash around my mouth. My mom suggested that maybe I'm developing an allergy to dairy, since I've been lactose intolerant for years. Is that a thing that can happen, or is this some other kind of issue?

If it happens "no matter" what you eat, I don't understand why you think it's a dairy allergy. Do you have dairy every time you eat? Have you started using any new products (makeup, cleanser, moisturizers) on the affected area in the time that this has been happening? Have you started using a different kind of napkin, or using utensils, cups, etc made out of different materials than you used before? Does it happen immediately after you eat and then fade, or does it come and go at times that aren't necessarily coordinated with eating? Possibly someone that you kiss has started using some new product (cleanser, etc.) that you're allergic to.

I don't have food allergies myself, but I've known people who do, and I don't recall any of them having a localized reaction limited to the mouth and surrounding area--generally it's more broadly dispersed hives or swelling. It sounds more like contact dermatitis (there's something that keeps touching your face in that area that you're having an allergic reaction to), but I'm not a medical professional. You might want to consult someone who is.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,967 Member
    Options
    Well dairy is a popular target for sure, but \I would go get tested.

• jennyblacker
    Options
    Okay, I think I got all that, thanks so much <3

How would it not show up on tests?? That's actually kind of terrifying. Do you just determine whether or not you're positive for an allergy by seeing if you improve to cutting it out of your diet?

Allergy testing isn't an exact science, it will only show if your body as certain antibody, which I don't have. In theory this means I won't actually die from a reaction, but each one is getting worse so it's something I don't want to risk!

I initially did a vague elimination test (not strict, mostly because I was only reacting mildly at the time), and since then it's been working out what I've eaten any time I've reacted (cream is my main thing). I can have some dairy, but pure milk/cream products and extracts set me off (most cheese and chocolate are fine, woot!)

Btw, my initial reaction is localised, my sinuses swell and the inside of my head itches. That's when I take extra anti-histamines to try and calm it down a bit
  • jordipie55
    Options
    If it happens "no matter" what you eat, I don't understand why you think it's a dairy allergy. Do you have dairy every time you eat? Have you started using any new products (makeup, cleanser, moisturizers) on the affected area in the time that this has been happening? Have you started using a different kind of napkin, or using utensils, cups, etc made out of different materials than you used before? Does it happen immediately after you eat and then fade, or does it come and go at times that aren't necessarily coordinated with eating? Possibly someone that you kiss has started using some new product (cleanser, etc.) that you're allergic to.

I don't have food allergies myself, but I've known people who do, and I don't recall any of them having a localized reaction limited to the mouth and surrounding area--generally it's more broadly dispersed hives or swelling. It sounds more like contact dermatitis (there's something that keeps touching your face in that area that you're having an allergic reaction to), but I'm not a medical professional. You might want to consult someone who is.

I'm just taking a guess at it being dairy something. It could be gluten or sugar or any number of things. Since I'm already lactose intolerant I was wondering if maybe that could develop into an allergy. Most answers people have been giving here and internet research I've done have taught me that lactose intolerance and dairy allergies are two different things, but I'm just trying to figure out what's going on with me. To answer the questions: No, no new moisturizers or make up or cleaner or anything of the sort. No napkins, no new dishes/utensils. It usually starts itching while I'm eating and then itches for a while afterward-- from 15 mins to an hour, so far. I haven't been kissing anyone lately, so that's out too.

When I was younger, I'd get a rash around my mouth and like now, the area would itch; it's one of the reasons my parents took me in for allergy testing when I was young, and lo and behold, I was allergic to nuts and the rash and itching was a reaction to my favorite breakfast of Honey Nut Cheerios. Since the itching around the mouth was a symptom of a food allergy before, I assumed that's what it was this time, too, but it could totally be the contact dermatitis like you suggested. I'll keep an eye on things and see if I need to make a doctor's appointment; thank you so much for your time.
  • yesimpson
    yesimpson Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options
    I have eczema, psoriasis and generally very sensitive skin, and although I am not allergic to dairy, I do find if I eat a lot of it it makes my skin more susceptible to becoming very dry or developing a rash. Same happens with too much caffeine, spicy food, and berry fruits. If your diet has changed dramatically recently it could be connected.
  • notallwhowander
    notallwhowander Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Probably not.
    Lactose intolerance isn't anything to do with allergies. It's when a person doesn't make enough lactase to break down lactose. Nothing immunological about that.
    But! Some allergies start out being fine and slowly progress with each exposure, getting worse and worse.
  • Fuchsiagenii
    Options
    I have a 1.5 year old granddaughter who is lactose intolerant. She is not able to having anything that contains lactose. If she does, she gets a rash and red dry looking skin on her face and other areas of her body.

I am fine with dairy, but not with goats cheese. Eating goats cheese makes my lips start to tingle.

I found out last week that I have an allergy to fennel. I ate some homemade flapjacks that contained dried fennel seeds and my lips started to feels sore with little spots and on the inside of the lips developed little blisters. So now I know I am allergic to fennel seeds.

Keep a record of everything that you eat and drink to identify if it is anything to do with that, so that you avoid consuming it.

Fungal infections can cause soreness and itching. A doctor can take a skin swab to find out if it is a fungal problem and prescribe the appropriate medication that is safe to use on the face and lips if the results came back positive.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,988 Member
    Options

I'm just taking a guess at it being dairy something. It could be gluten or sugar or any number of things. Since I'm already lactose intolerant I was wondering if maybe that could develop into an allergy. Most answers people have been giving here and internet research I've done have taught me that lactose intolerance and dairy allergies are two different things, but I'm just trying to figure out what's going on with me. To answer the questions: No, no new moisturizers or make up or cleaner or anything of the sort. No napkins, no new dishes/utensils. It usually starts itching while I'm eating and then itches for a while afterward-- from 15 mins to an hour, so far. I haven't been kissing anyone lately, so that's out too.

When I was younger, I'd get a rash around my mouth and like now, the area would itch; it's one of the reasons my parents took me in for allergy testing when I was young, and lo and behold, I was allergic to nuts and the rash and itching was a reaction to my favorite breakfast of Honey Nut Cheerios. Since the itching around the mouth was a symptom of a food allergy before, I assumed that's what it was this time, too, but it could totally be the contact dermatitis like you suggested. I'll keep an eye on things and see if I need to make a doctor's appointment; thank you so much for your time.

OK, certainly sounds like it's food-related, then. Best of luck in figuring out which food it is.