Are there any mathletes out there? Algebra question...

Options
530roman
530roman Posts: 1,819 Member
So I'm fully prepared for the *kitten*-storm that will come with posting this in here and I'm kind of looking forward to it. But, I also need help with one problem because apparently, I suck at high school algebra...

I don't necessarily want just the answer, but the method to coming up with the answer (because there are more like this).

y= 15,424 + 0.59x
Plot the equation on a graph. Label the graph with necessary information.

Thanks in advance and your payment will be negotiated upon submission to my professor with a quality grade.

Replies

• _John_
    _John_ Posts: 8,641 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    At X=0 you will be at 15424 above y=0. For every 1 unit you go to the right (positive direction) the line gets 0.59 units higher, and for every 1 unit you go to the left (negative direction) the line will drop 0.59 units.

Typically y is graphed as up and down, and x as left and right:

Y=mx+b is the standard equation of a line with M representing the slope of the line. The slope can be negative or positive. Lines with the same slope will look identical without units and B values removed. B will just determine where the line "starts" at the y=0 point when you draw the line with its corresponding slope.
  • runnerwithin
    Options
    y=m*x+b

m is the slope of the line. ie rise/run in this particular problem for every .59 the line goes upward, the line moves one to the right.

b is your y intercept, or where the line crosses the y axis and x=0

To draw the line I would start with the y intercept and from that point use your slope to find another point on the line. [for example, you know the point (0,15424) if you add 59/100 you get another point, (59, 15524) ] from these two points you can draw the line using a ruler.
  • 530roman
    530roman Posts: 1,819 Member
    Options
    You two are awesome! Google didn't help as much as you two did! Thanks to both!
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    No. I didn't even look. I do not even math.
  • Sinistrous
    Sinistrous Posts: 5,589 Member
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »

I don't do math, either. In fact, I hate math. I did try to comprehend but felt like my brain was about to KABOOOM, so I moved on. :3
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    Sinistrous wrote: »
    arditarose wrote: »

I don't do math, either. In fact, I hate math. I did try to comprehend but felt like my brain was about to KABOOOM, so I moved on. :3

I struggle enough with barbell math.