Menopause

Options
I had a hysterectomy a year ago and now it just seems no matter what I do I gain weight. I've given up on weight loss but hate that gut hanging over my belt. I can eat 1,800 calories a day for a week and gain 5lbs. Am I the only one that feels like this?

Replies

• blankiefinder
    blankiefinder Posts: 3,599 Member
    Options
    Joyce, without a lot more info it's hard to help.

I am 5'7, 138 pounds, start weight on Aug. 7th was 169. To lose a half pound per week when I started, I could eat around 1550 calories. Now it's about 1400.

So, height? Current weight?
  • softblondechick
    softblondechick Posts: 1,275 Member
    Options
    Accept that you can no longer eat the way you did before. Grieve, and move on. I rebelled dieting, was in denial about the changes in my body.

People may disagree with me, but carbs are not your friend any longer. Eating carbs will put fat on your body. I gained 25 pounds. And you need a steady exercise program, with weight lifting, to speed your metabolism.

And even watching what you eat and exercising, the weight will try to stay on your body. It may take a month to lose five pounds.
  • bluejoyce
    Options
    Thank you. It's getting frustrating. I am actually active with cleaning barns, riding & walking so it's annoying to be gaining.
  • bluejoyce
    Options
    My weight 220 and I am also 5'7. I have athletic build so I am told. I feel I am just fat.
  • maraq
    maraq Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Check out the book "The Hormone Cure" by Dr. Sara Gottfried. She has some really great strategies for those going through menopause or hormone imbalances in general. In it she provides quizzes of your symptoms and then depending on your answers will direct you to the appropriate part of the book where she suggests dietary changes, supplements and medical tests if necessary. It can give you some tools that can help you feel more in control.
  • mfp2014mfp
    mfp2014mfp Posts: 689 Member
    Options
    Go to a doctor/naturopath and get your hormone levels checked to see if they are within normal ranges, they will then advise you on how to proceed. I personally prefer natropathy, but thats just me.
  • bluejoyce
    Options
    Thank u! I will check out that book & I plan to visit my doctor about this. Naturopathic sounds interesting too