Recipes and ingredients for clean/green healthier smoothie ?

Options
Does anyone have any suggestions on recipes for increased green or cleaner smoothie recipes for a blender - I need to get more vitamins into me that don't just come from fruit - due to a condition I cannot eat oranges or tomatoes and struggle to eat green "foods". If I can drink them I would prefer to do this ,,,,, thanks in advance.

Replies

• Cacheola
    Cacheola Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    kale will reward you with tough to get potassium
  • mabess58
    mabess58 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Experiment with adding greens into your smoothies. Today I had banana, cranberries, kale, carrots and grapefruit. I add a little water and ice. I buy bags of fresh greens and freeze them. I usually put in about a cup or two of greens in. The greens make the color odd but you really cannot taste them. Spinach usually blends up silky. I like to rotate them. Yesterday I had chard. If you have a good blender celery and cucumbers and banana make a fresh tasting drink.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Any greens like romaine or swiss chard will work. Add one fruit like an apple or any other fresh/frozen/canned fruit. Then add some milk or yogurt. If it is too thick for the blender, add some cold water.
    Some people add a few pieces of ice. I often add one tablespoon of cocoa powder and/or ¼ teaspoon cinnamon.
  • pittjenn
    pittjenn Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    This morning I'm sipping a smoothie made with Kale, cilantro, ginger, lime juice, a granny smith apple, and a wedge of avocado. And ice - lots of ice makes it all drinkable. Green drinks are not tasty at room temp.

If you're just starting out with green drinks, hide the flavor with lots of fruit and/or half a cucumber. Eventually, it will start to taste "fresh" and good to you all by itself.
  • dbrink
    dbrink Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    My saving grace in drinking a green smoothie is to add a squeeze of lemon. Somehow, the citrus helps to freshen up the flavors and make it easier to drink. Later in the day, I sometimes like a small piece of fresh ginger to give it a little zing. I don't like the flavor of bananas so sweetening can be a challenge. For me apples only work if they are peeled because I don't like any small bits of peeling in the drink. To sweeten up a smoothie, I keep frozen chunks of pineapple or mango in the freezer. Good luck!
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Mine this morning:
    Spinach
    berries
    flax and chia seeds
    a hand full of almonds
    turmeric
    soy milk
    water

Yummy and nutritious.
    Rotate your greens!
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    pittjenn wrote: »
    This morning I'm sipping a smoothie made with Kale, cilantro, ginger, lime juice, a granny smith apple, and a wedge of avocado. And ice - lots of ice makes it all drinkable. Green drinks are not tasty at room temp.

If you're just starting out with green drinks, hide the flavor with lots of fruit and/or half a cucumber. Eventually, it will start to taste "fresh" and good to you all by itself.

That sounds fabulous too!
  • tansunny
    tansunny Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I just started using avocado in some last week. Half avocado, 1/2-3/4 cup blueberries, 1 small banana, some water, one greek yogurt (can use plain, but I use blueberry for the sweetness).
  • pnash4508
    pnash4508 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    If you add greens in your smoothies, you will get lots of vitamins. There are tons of recipes on-line but I prefer to just keep it simple. One of my favorites is banana, apple, ginger, and a green (spinach, kale, or Swiss chard). Sometimes I use almond milk (my preference) but I also use water and coconut milk or water on occasion too.
  • ShannonMpls
    ShannonMpls Posts: 1,936 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    This morning I made:

kale
    spinach
    carrot
    blueberries
    pineapple
    beet (primarily for color, otherwise this particular smoothie is kinda gray)
    banana protein powder

It's damn good.

If you're just starting with adding greens, always include a banana (frozen or fresh). It will keep it creamy and add sweetness that masks the taste of the greens. I think they recommend starting off with 60% fruit, 40% vegetables. Once you get used to the taste, you can back off on the fruit.
  • vickyaldersey
    vickyaldersey Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    This morning in my nutribullet I made spinach ,orange,pineappl,banana and blueberries. Funny colour but lovely taste
  • pinkiezoom
    pinkiezoom Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    I use kale, cucumber, celery, apple, pear, ginger and a dash of lemon juice. But I just use the juice and not the pulp, so I guess this might not be suitable for smoothies.... not sure. But it tastes lovely lol.
  • Amitysk
    Amitysk Posts: 705 Member
    Options
    One of my favorites is banana, frozen mixed berries, kale and chocolate protein powder with unsweetened vanilla almond milk (no need for ice). When I was actually juicing, I loved kale, apple and cucumber. So simple, but really delicious.
  • bellaa_x0
    bellaa_x0 Posts: 1,062 Member
    Options
    1 cup almond milk
    1 scoop protein powder
    1/2 banana
    4 cups baby spinach
    2 tbsp peanut butter

this is my go to
  • raj186
    raj186 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Hi...
    My go to green recipe is:
    Kale
    Cucumber
    Lemon
    A hint of cinamon
    And manuka honey... It's yummy!

The addition of ginger and turmeric sounds interesting... Might give it a go in the morning.
  • jangelmck
    jangelmck Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone for your replies - its good to know what's best....
    - x
  • BeMel
    BeMel Posts: 4
    Options
    I use:
    Yogurt
    Almond milk
    Kale
    Strawberries
    Pineapple
    Coconut
    Water