Should I be hurt by this?

Options
2»

Replies

• Jena_72
    Jena_72 Posts: 1,057
    Options
    Sounds to me like she's trying to take advantage of your kindness.
    I agree.
    A Qoute "Don't mistake my kindness for weakness" I think YOU definately fit this qoute! :flowerforyou: Feel better it'll be ok. Some people are only chapters in our lives. I personally would go back up to the school on a day I know she's not there and get it done with someone new.
    Have a good weekend! One good way to feel better WORK OUT and release some endorphins!:drinker: :bigsmile: See now this post is MFP Certified! :tongue:
  • live2smyle
    live2smyle Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    People come into your life for a reason, a season or a lifetime....
    When you know which one it is, you will know what to do for that person.

When someone is in your life for a REASON, it is usually to meet a need you have expressed.

They may seem like a godsend and they are.
    They are there for the reason you need them to be.

Then, without any wrong doing on your part or at an inconvenient time, this person will say or do something to bring the relationship to an end.

Sometimes they die.
    Sometimes they walk away.
    Sometimes they act up and force you to take a stand.

What we must realize is that our need has been met, our desire fulfilled, their work is done.

The prayer you sent up has been answered and now it is time to move on.

Some people come into your life for a SEASON, because your turn has come to share, grow or learn.

They bring you an experience of peace or make you laugh.
    They may teach you something you have never done.
    They usually give you an unbelievable amount of joy.
    Believe it, it is real.
    But only for a season.

LIFETIME relationships teach you lifetime lessons, things you must build upon in order to have a solid emotional foundation.

Your job is to accept the lesson, love the person and put what you have learned to use in all other relationships and areas of your life.
  • aflane
    aflane Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    It sounds like she's seriously taking advantage of your generosity and concern for her financial well-being. Back to the beauty school.... feel no guilt! And yes, I think you have a reason to feel hurt.
  • mehlen
    mehlen Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Gotta say I pretty much agree with most folks here. I'd be upset. Not because I'd given her the tickets and such...but I'm sorry...she's still a studemt sh has no business charging more than most salons charge for that service. *hugs*
  • TonyTrinch
    TonyTrinch Posts: 48
    Options
    I agree with most everyone else who said, "I would feel hurt by that." It would most definitely hurt my feelings, and has in the past when simular situations happened. Mixing friendships and money generally ends badly.

That being said, I do see things a bit differently. While my feelings were hurt in the past from simular situations the lesson I learned from those experiences is this. If I find myself keeping a tally of money I've "lent" friends, dinners I've paid for, outings I helped finance, whatever the situation, then I need to learn to the word, "No."

My rule of thumb is I never "Lend" a friend money, period, end of sentence. I give them money, as I can afford it, but I go into the situation with NO expectation of being paid back. If I can't afford to never see that money again, then I don't get the jeopardize the friendship by lending it out. 95% of the time, I get paid back, woot and awesome. %5 of the time I don't. Those times I don't care because I never expected to be paid back in the first place, even if they said they would. They can say whatever they want, I don't lend the money with the expectation of seeing it again, so I am either surprised by the return or considered it a gift from the get-go.

I don't keep running tallies in my head of what I've done for other people. I do things for other people because I want to and can. It makes my life much simpler. I used to think I didn't keep running tallies, but I noticed that when someone didn't do something I expected from them, I would mentally run through all the "nice" things I'd done for them. I realized that no matter what I told myself, the truth was I wasn't doing those things "just to be nice," I was doing those things with the expectation of something in return later on down the road. That generally ended up with me hurt and feeling betrayed.

I can't control anyone else's actions or morals, but I can control mine. I really really really enjoy doing nice things for people I care about and I'm not going to let my own expectations of them turn that feeling into hurt and betrayal. The funny thing is, since I started acting in this way, rarely have I been "taken advantage of." I don't just toss out money willy nilly to anyone who asks me for it, learning to say "No" when it really isn't convenient or easy for me to do something has weeded out the folks that like to take advantage of people. They generally disappear from my life after the first "No," and thus are longer an issue to deal with.

Now certainly when I started acting this way, I was shocked to see how many "long time friends" got angry and upset at me for setting boundaries and I could understand their anger, I was changing the rules of our friendship, and I lost a few long time friends over that. Accepting that some of those "long term friends" weren't really friends was hard, but necessary if I was going clean my life up. Now the folks I have around me are folks that are totally Ok with the word No and are just as giving as I am. Part of being a giving person includes the responsibility of setting boundaries.
  • SarahR1984
    SarahR1984 Posts: 212
    Options
    Thanks so much everyone for all the replys! I really appreciate it. Time to move on for me. It's not about being paid back for the things I did for her at all. When I give people money I don't expect it back. I just assumed she would do what I would do in that situation and I was shocked when she didn't. I shouldn't assume people will do friends favors I guess.

I make awesome cakes. I spend from $20-50 on supplies for one cake, then spend 15-30 hours baking and putting them together. When I made them for co-workers I charged supplies and nothing extra for labor. Once I spend $60 on supplies and recieved $65 for the cake total. Usually people give me whatever extra they want and that's fine. This hair stylist friend of mine wants me to make her a cake for her going away party and I told her I would. She doesn't expect to pay for it I guarntee it. What if I told her a few days before the party, "it's so much work it's gonna cost you $100"? I think that's around the same thing she did. I give my services to my friends for the cost of supplies (good friends not even that) and don't charge for the 15+ hours of labor. Because they are my friends and I love them. So my history of spending hours and hours on these cakes and not even asking for extra money, I couldn't believe she took 3 hours out of her night and wanted so much compensation.

I will still make her cake for free. I will slave away at it for hours. It will be awesome ;) I will go to her at the college to do my hair and probably give her the $20 back for a tip. Because she's still my friend. Even if she isn't acting like a good one at the moment. I don't always deserve the good things in life that are given to me. So I can still do good things to people in my life who don't deserve them. I've been given so much forgiveness that I didn't deserve, so I can forgive and even bless others :)

Thanks for the replys, you've helped me feel better.