sleep or exercise?

Options
Which is more important for weight loss?

I have an appt. to go give blood tomorrow morning. I usually go to the gym on Saturdays, bit I will have to get up pretty early to go before the appt. This means giving up sleep of which I already get precious little.

One of my goals, along with eating better and exercising, is to try to get more sleep. I'm a night person and have some insomnia issues already. I used to only get about 5-6 hrs.per night. I've done a pretty good job of upping that to 6-7 during the week and a solid 8-9 on weekends. I'm woriied if I cut back and try to go for an early morning workout I will A) not get a very good workout anyway b/c I'm used to working out in the afternoon, and B) take two steps back in my efforts to fight the insomnia and regulate my sleep patterns.

Thoughts and advice?

Replies

• WifeMomDVM
    WifeMomDVM Posts: 1,025 Member
    Options
    If you have time to exercise in the afternoon, then I would def. try to get more sleep! If not... that's a toughie. You may just have to MAKE time or make yourself go to bed earlier, or talk to your doctor about a sleep aid to help with insomnia.
  • funluvsweetness
    funluvsweetness Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Adequate sleep is VERY important. I know if I don't get enough and push myself to workout, it usually bites me in the butt and I either get more off track or end up sick. I struggle with sleep issues too, so I understand what you are going through. Another factor to consider... have you worked out immediately prior to giving blood before? Make sure you are hydrated, or that could be a not-so-nice experience as well.
  • kbanzhaf
    kbanzhaf Posts: 601 Member
    Options
    My best advice would be to take the day off tomorrow from exercise. Whenever I have given blood, they tell me to drink plenty of fluids after, but not to do anything strenuous. Perhaps a walk or something, but I certainly wouldn't hit the gym hardcore tomorrow.
    Kaye
  • KLo924
    KLo924 Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    Yeeah - do you work out a lot? I"d just take the day off, I think, or take a nice, leisurely, enjoyable walk :) You don't want to have your sugars too low before donating blood, and you definitely shouldn't work out too close to after. You're doing an amazing thing giving blood - maybe just take a rest day!
  • devodev44
    devodev44 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I hate having to make the choice between exercising and sleep and quite honestly, I often choose exercising. However, more and more research is coming out showing how vital sleep really is for us. I'd say get the rest, especially if you normally have a hard time sleeping. If you're in a good pattern right now, try to stay there.

I
  • skinnyjeanzbound
    skinnyjeanzbound Posts: 3,932 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the feedback. I wouldn't even consider a serious workout after giving blood, but hadn't thought about funluv's point about dehydration if I work out beforehand.

@kris--I try to get some form of exercise in everyday, but I usually can only get to the gym one weekday and on the weekends. Think I will take your advice and take my dog for an extra-long walk.

Yay sleep!!
  • mkennedym
    mkennedym Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    6-8 hours a night is fine. as long as you get that you should be able to function.