Cancer Survivor needing to lose 100 lbs

Options
Hi! I am 34, married, and have a 2 yr. old son. I just completed chemo and radiation for Hodgkin's Lymphoma. I am now severely out of shape and have just started back to work. Looking for encouragement and suggestions from others who have experienced this or have a lot to lose!

Replies

• Jitteryspork
    Jitteryspork Posts: 550 Member
    Options
    Hello! I am 28 and I am currently dealing with Endometrial Cancer. I haven't agreed to do the hysterectomy due to my determination to eventually have a baby. I feel that my weight is a big factor in my inablity to ovulate (which caused my cancer) and I think I can fix this myself. Of course I am under supervision of a doctor, and currently the cancer is at a standstill. I am taking medication to keep it at bay. If you would like to add me as a friend, we can support each other. :)
  • kelsiewisner
    kelsiewisner Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I do not currently have cancer, but I am a nurse that is wanting to lose around 100lbs for my total goal (initial goal is at least 80). I was doing MFP a year and a half ago then got pregnant after losing 30lbs and then stopped and eventually gained 40lbs back so I am just getting started again! I have a 10 month old son so, it definitely will not be as easy this time around! I would love to have some more friends on here for some encouragement!
  • claireg287
    claireg287 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Hi heather,
    How is your recovery coming along?
    I've also got Hodgkin's and finished chemo 30th December
    I'm so stiff now from not doing any exercise for 6 months and finding it so hard but just taking baby steps.
    I've got 56 pounds to lose but more than losing the weight to look good it's for my health.
    Do you mind if I ask how you are finding your energy levels? Also how quickly your hair is growing back?
    Sorry to ask so many questions!
  • claireg287
    claireg287 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Jitteryspork,
    That's fantastic news your Cancer is at a standstill!
    How is your weight loss coming along?
  • afelkins11
    Options
    @claireg287
    @heatherking315

I completed chemo for Hodgkin's in December, 2014. The meds and lack of energy caused me to gain over 30 pounds during treatment. I have a goal of losing 40 pounds.

My oncologist says I am very impatient. Ha. I go to the gym 2 days, then have an off day, repeat. I've been going for 3 weeks. I started with only being able to do 5 minutes of cardio at a time. I can now do 10 (treadmill, elliptical is stuck at 5). Before chemo, I could easily do 30 minutes on the elliptical at a time. I also do muscle machines while I'm there. I have basically no strength left.

I was advised by both oncologists and the cancer social worker I saw to go ahead and cut my hair so that it wouldn't be as upsetting when it fell out (which I was told was for sure going to happen). So, I shaved it all off. My hair thinned a little, but never fell out. I take various B-vitamins (for neuropathy), but they have an added benefit of causing your hair to grow faster and healthier. It's blended at a pharmacy for me, but I would try B-complex otherwise. Where it first started growing, you can see weak spots throughout the strands. My hair is about 1.5 inches long now. It's been growing for around 6 months, but I think was slowed because I was taking chemo during those months.

:smiley: