what should ieat for running?

Options
hi,

I've just started running I don't eat before my run and tire very quickly as I've only just started and when I get home I eat 3 egg whites and 1 whole egg scrambled on one piece of wholemeal toast. is that good or is there something else I should be eating?

also what should I have for dinner to fuel for my run?

thanks.

Replies

• Nerruse
    Nerruse Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Not everyone can run fasted. Try eating 20-30 minutes before you run. That's fine for breakfast, I'm pretty similar; eggs and some carbs, it's a nice balanced mix. If that's too heavy for you before running, a piece of fruit or something like that should work. You'll need to experiment, figure out what works best for you.

You shouldn't have to do anything special for dinner if you're already eating a balanced meal. Do you run in the morning? Maybe just double servings of vegetables and/or a small snack later at night. I work a lot of nights personally and plan on eating when I get home at the end of the night; I rarely wake up hungry and my runs are good that way, but that's just what works for me.
  • missiontofitness
    missiontofitness Posts: 4,074 Member
    Options
    There's nothing you specifically need to eat. Just make sure you're hitting your calorie goals for the day, and your protein macros.
  • makinne
    makinne Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I have a protein shake before I run in the morning. It's only about 8 oz because I can't eat more than that before a run. I make my shakes with protein powder, soy milk, and cold coffee - the protein and caffeine seem to help a lot.
  • Marianna93637
    Marianna93637 Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    For me a nice carb meal about 2 hours before works best. A bowl of oatmeal or brown rice, big enough to fill you and give you energy but long enough before you run so that you're not weighed down. Protein never did the same for me.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    I've just started running I don't eat before my run and tire very quickly...

How far are you running?

• shaddowstorm
    shaddowstorm Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    I can only manage to run/jog about 100m take a break and do another 100m
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    Cool. Don't worry about distance - I started in the same place and was running 10km inside of 4 months. Just take it slow, build up gradually. :drinker:

But for that distance, you don't need to eat anything special. I wouldn't even log calories for it. When you get to 5k or so, then it's time to revist.

Good luck! :drinker: