Breastfeeding. How many calories do you allow here?

Options
Hi, I'm new to the site. I'm trying to guess how much extra I'll need in order to get some of this preggo weight off. I'm wondering if anyone here is breastfeeding and having any luck. What have you done? How many calories have you allowed extra?? Let's help each other if possible.

Replies

• fluffy831
    fluffy831 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    When I was EBF (we didn't start solids til 7 months), I allowed 500 calories a day. Be sure to keep drinking lots of water!
  • kdao
    kdao Posts: 265
    Options
    It's usually around 300-500 extra depending on how much you are nursing. I started when my baby was7.5 months and allowed 300 extra calories. Hope this helps!
  • Babyblessing12
    Options
    When breastfeeding, you should be allowed an additional 500 calories, thats about how much additional you lose just due to the breasfeeding alone.
  • MamaByGrace8
    MamaByGrace8 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    500 Calories above the "maintain your weight" calories, or above the recommended calories to lose a pound a week? Thanks! :)
  • Dawnsiebugg
    Dawnsiebugg Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Great job breastfeeding! I am an advocate and I breastfed my son until 15 months. You can do this. Add me if you want a fellow mom friend!
  • Gargoyle69
    Gargoyle69 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I love to breastfeed! Need to wear a HRM when doing so next time to track calories burned. But I will have to offset it with the calories during intake. Should be an interesting log.
  • mayoj
    mayoj Posts: 1
    Options
    500 calories is right - I am a nurse and used to work OB. Great job breastfeeding, it helps to keep you on track nutrition wise since your want only the best for your baby!
  • Mama_CAEI
    Mama_CAEI Posts: 235
    Options
    I was obese before the pregnancy, so I'm not allowing myself the full 500 calories...I've just started this weight loss journey, so I'm only allowing around 200 to 300 over what Fitness Pal is allowing me so that the calories used up bf-ing will end up being a deficit. (My baby is 6 months old, though.)
  • CleverName
    CleverName Posts: 1
    Options
    Does anyone know if there's any way to include the calories burned by bf'ing as part of your exercise? Or do you just need to mentally add it, and know that your diet/exercise profile is 'wrong'?