Anyone here struggling with hypothyroid issues and weight loss?

Options
It just seems that no matter what I do the weight either doesn't move at all or it moves in wrong direction. :(

Replies

• therocpile
    therocpile Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Have you consulted your doctor? Are you taking medicine like Synthroid? Are you active & eating well?
  • Yourebeautiful2day
    Yourebeautiful2day Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I'm on the generic Levothyroxine, exercising 3 times a week for an hour and counting carbs (because of diabetes T2). The holidays didn't go well, but I've been back on track for 3 weeks and have gained 3 lbs instead of lost.
  • candiinalaska
    candiinalaska Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I'm in that same boat. It's very frustrating and self defeating for myself. I exercise 5 x /week alternating hit cardiovascular 35-45 minutes and weight training 30 minutes with 5 min warmup and 10 minute cool down. I crave carbs but try to limit them to 30g / day paleo style eating. I take 1.5 MG of synthroid daily at least 2 hours before I eat anything. I keep my calories between 1200-1500 daily with my fitness pal. I am researching hashimoto's as at my next blood draw I am hoping they will check the antibodies that would indicate this auto-immune condition. To add just a little more excitement to my struggles I also am perimenopausal and have hot flashes throughout the day and night! Lol!
  • candiinalaska
    candiinalaska Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Sorry, I need to correct the above post and say my Synthroid dose is 150 mcg not 1.5!
  • NJGamerChick
    NJGamerChick Posts: 467 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Are you weighing your food accurately? Are your symptoms of hypothyroidism gone with the Synthroid? Why are you trying for Hashimoto's? (This only applies to one of you.)
  • stacyejohnson79
    stacyejohnson79 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    You may want to try Armour Thyroid. Being hypothyroid, you have to be careful not to "stress" your body out with too much exercise because it will make you release cortisol.
  • vickierivero1
    vickierivero1 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I have hypothyroidism. It kicks my butt daily. Its definitely harder to lose the lbs.
  • wilmanancy1
    Options
    Hi. I have Hashimoto (10 years now) and yes despite the levels being right the weight and energy levels is always challenging. I have recently gone to a dietician because despite big exercising 6 months of boot camp, 1200 meal plans, trying the 5/2 eating plan and mostly good eating I have put on 5 kilos this year. She suggested that the stress levels created from the constant state of too much energy in verses out via exercise my body are making it difficult for me to lose the weight and I have gone into the survival fat storage mode. I also had a full Dexa scan after 3 months of bootcamp to check I wasn't going crazy that I had put on weight and while I had a good muscle and bone density by body fat was bad and just in the really bad state. He suggested that I needed to aim for around 1800 calories because my daily calorie burn was 1600 without doing anything. I aim for 1600 on Myfitness pal counter because 1800 seemed too much.
    I also heard that anyone with a thyroid condition does much better on a gluten free diet. I have had to change a few things but am interested to see how this goes. I also am changing Doctors to one that has a speciality in Nutrition. There might be a few things that I am missing. With Medication make sure you take it on an empty stomach and with water then wait at least 1/2 hour. Some foods can create problems with your medication too so check that out.
    It is very annoying to see other around make only slight adjustments in food or exercise and the weight seems to fall away. I had success a few years back with Michelle Bridges 12 week body transformation diet. I'm going to stick with the dietician for the moment.
  • Yourebeautiful2day
    Options
    Those 3 lbs finally came off, I'm guessing they were water weight. I tend to retain water and I know it's because I have a hard time with salt in my diet. I eat cottage cheese (often) and it's loaded with salt. I like it for the protein and because I can eat it for breakfast. My weight has held now for almost a week (no more loss as of yet).

I've noticed that my anxiety level has spiked now that I've cut the calories. I don't think that's a thyroid issue (or maybe it is), I usually attribute that to the diabetes. When I don't eat at set times or if I don't eat enough I'll hear from the D Monster with things like tingling lips or tongue, dizziness, anxiety and a tightness way up high on my chest on the left side that always scares me. Everything goes away once I eat a good meal. The T Monster zaps my energy and makes me feel super cold. Nothing makes that go away, it just has to ease up on its own.

I haven't exercised this week. I'm still trying to get a handle on the food situation. I'm having a hard time with taking food to work. I never seem to take enough. I'm at work almost 11 hours a day, twice a week. I actually bought a small Igloo cooler lunch box so that I can take more stuff to graze on. I will be trying it out tomorrow for the first time.

Do you all know your TSH number, and do you feel that the level it's at is ok? I'm a 4 point something and I read that some doctors interpret this as an ok level while others want it to be a little lower. I still have symptoms like hair loss, dry skin, and days where I'm wiped out for no reason (not every day though) and I was just wondering if others do to and what others' numbers might be.