gluten free vegan?

Options
2»

Replies

• angiew18
    angiew18 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    This is so weird, I'm going through the same thing! I'm vegetarian and am having some digestive issues lately and I think it's due to either lactose or gluten.
    As some one else mentioned, don't cut them both out at once! You won't know which is causing the problem and you'll be needlessly limiting yourself.
    I'm cutting lactose at the moment and so far feel great. One thing I can suggest is to get a vegan protein powder. It is hard enough for a vegan to get their daily dose of protein through lentils and beans but if you lift weights it's near impossible! You can get vegan protein powder in the supplement stores in North America if I'm not mistaken. I'm going to order it on bodybuilding (dot) com because you can't get it where I live. (No, I'm not associated with them or anything, just trying to help you out).
    Look up Paleo recipes, it's so big right now that just about anything can be made gluten-free and lactose-free! Of course a lot of the main recipes contain meat, but for dessert / bread / shake ideas it's great!
    But sorry to break it to you, but I don't think being gluten-free, lactose-free AND vegetarian is a sustainable lifestyle choice. That's basically a vegetarian Paleo which I've researched quite a lot and it's just not possible. A diet like that is too limiting in the long term. If you are intolerant to both gluten and lactose, you will probably have to give up being vegetarian!
    Hope everything works out :)

Thanks very much, that's quite the coincidence about your diet and mine lol
  • jakem11994
    jakem11994 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I've been vegan for about a year now, and until about November, I was living off of gluten free pasta, vegan Mac and cheese, fruits, and vegetable sandwiches. It really is a learning curve, but now I actually can cook full, delicious, and nutritious vegan dishes. The best thing to do is to adapt, I look up paleo recipes and then just replace the meat with veggies or vegan "meat", but now because I'm inching towards gluten free, I only use beyond meat products, but I rarely use a meat replacement. All veggies are gluten free, and delicious raw or paired correctly in recipes, there are also many gluten free flours and dessert mixes in the super market. But as of now stick to easy salads, smoothies, and gluten free pasta dishes(minimalist baker is a good website). Stick to the basics, and low processed food. It may take a few months, but eventually it all becomes a habit :) also look into "raw till 4" it is a gluten free vegan life style, and that is what I usually do, look into it on the Internet and YouTube, it may be difficult at first, but trust me, it gets better.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,020 Member
    Options
    jakem11994 wrote: »
    I've been vegan for about a year now, and until about November, I was living off of gluten free pasta, vegan Mac and cheese, fruits, and vegetable sandwiches. It really is a learning curve, but now I actually can cook full, delicious, and nutritious vegan dishes. The best thing to do is to adapt, I look up paleo recipes and then just replace the meat with veggies or vegan "meat", but now because I'm inching towards gluten free, I only use beyond meat products, but I rarely use a meat replacement. All veggies are gluten free, and delicious raw or paired correctly in recipes, there are also many gluten free flours and dessert mixes in the super market. But as of now stick to easy salads, smoothies, and gluten free pasta dishes(minimalist baker is a good website). Stick to the basics, and low processed food. It may take a few months, but eventually it all becomes a habit :) also look into "raw till 4" it is a gluten free vegan life style, and that is what I usually do, look into it on the Internet and YouTube, it may be difficult at first, but trust me, it gets better.
    Your inching your way towards gluten free? why am I not surprised.