Ladies-I want to start heavy lifting. Help!

Options
Any advice would be greatly appreciated! I know very little about it other than basic lifts. Where do I start???

Replies

• zipa78
    zipa78 Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    No better place to start than the basic lifts. Google "stronglifts 5x5" or "starting strength", read up, get a gym membership (or some other place where you can lift) and get going.
  • annaskiski
    annaskiski Posts: 1,212 Member
    Options
    Here's the Stronglifts Summary (better than the website)

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/560459/stronglifts-5x5-summary/p1

Make sure to join the group here on MFP
  • willtrainer
    Options
    Any advice would be greatly appreciated! I know very little about it other than basic lifts. Where do I start???

• cyclone48
    cyclone48 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I have also used "New Rules of Lifting for Women". Lots of good advice and a good program to start with.
  • SuperFitastic
    SuperFitastic Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I LOOOVE bodybuilding.com for advice with lifting. I used to be scared of the weight room now I feel like I live in there :smiley: I do 4 sets each time, start with more reps lighter weight, then increase weight and a little less reps, until I do my last 10 at the heaviest I can possibly do. That's a good rule of thumb for lean muscle mass building ;)
  • ckmnacln
    ckmnacln Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    A good app always helps too. I like Full Fitness for keeping track of my weight and reps.
  • ahnapintane
    Options
    Bodybuilding.com is the best I've found. They also have a companion app Bodyspace.
    It's a bit confusing, but once you pick a workout program it will create exercises for you to do.
    It has a link to show you how to complete them correctly and tracks your workouts.
    I highly recommend this app! Good luck :smile:
  • kelly_e_montana
    kelly_e_montana Posts: 1,999 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Nia Shanks Lift Like a Girl offers really great plans/advice on lifting for women. Simple program to build strength! 3x per week, compound moves. Love her! http://www.niashanks.com/womens-beginner-strength-training-guide-lift-like-a-girl/ Watch the video tutorial. It's free. First decide if you want to get strong or look strong. There is a difference. I've used New Rules too and it's also fine. Personally I am a big fan of Starting Strength but find the Lift Like a Girl program speaks more to most women. SL 5x5 is not my fave, although it works well for many.
  • kandeye
    kandeye Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    I am a beginner at strong lifts 5x5 (only one week down :p ) and so far I love it. I actually am looking forward to my next workout. It's very basic. I have a home gym so I watched a ton of videos to get the form down (still a work in progress). I am completely brand new to lifting and very happy I chose this program to follow. Good luck with whatever you choose and have fun :D
  • laurende1022
    laurende1022 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Thank you for all of the info! I'll start doing some research on all the websites you've posted. :)
  • rejectuf
    rejectuf Posts: 487 Member
    Options
    Having a trainer or some other experienced lifter coach you through some of the lifts and offer pointers is very helpful for a beginner.

You can also video yourself doing a lift and check your own form if you'd rather go it alone.. but everyone needs a form check from time to time.
  • FullOnBurn
    FullOnBurn Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    reddit - xxfitness is a great resource
  • QueenMother14
    QueenMother14 Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    I have one week of Stronglifts under my belt. I was intimidated by weight lifting for years (since I had not worked out with weights since probably high school) but someone on here recommended Stronglifts (there is a Free IPhone app) and also Nia Shanks. I liked the Stronglifts app because it was basic, easy, free, and there are even built in Youtube videos you can watch to see what the lift should be like. I work out at home so I didn't have a trainer or anyone to help me. Feel free to add me, I would love to have another newbie to talk to.