When did you notice a difference?

Options
So I have quite a bit of weight to lose I want(ed) to lose about 90lbs (give or take) and so far I have lost almost 30lbs (29.8). I haven't noticed any difference so far. I have noticed more muscle tone in my legs especially and have gone from wearing a size 24 to a 20 (and can even wear some 18's, but they are still a little tight) so I know that there has to be a difference I'm just not seeing it. So I was just wondering when other people started actually noticing a difference?

Replies

• LeeBeeW
    LeeBeeW Posts: 100
    Options
    Well done so far!

Hang in there. No one really noticed with me till after I had lost about 50lbs. Its all worth it when you get comments.
  • tmdugger
    tmdugger Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    Have you taken pictures...for me it took putting on my fat pants...pulling them out 4 inches from my body and snapping a pic to get my mind to see the difference....I probably started noticing right around when I'd lost 20 lbs. 64 to lose total....so when I was a third of the way there
  • jcl1981
    jcl1981 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    i have to say that i felt a similar way until one day all at once i looked in the mirror and saw something changed in my face. It kind of started there and then subtle things like when i turned the wheel of my car and saw a muscle flex that i have never noticed before. I can promise you that 30 lbs is a huge difference, it was for me, when i hit 270 from 300lbs, i was astonished that i could fit tightly into a 42 waist pant. now my 42 waist literally falls off, but just to remember where i came from i will put them on to make breakfast and spend the whole time trying to keep them up, it gives me a boost of confidence to realize just exactly where i have been and where i am now. ( struggling through a plateau at 207lbs!)
  • Mads1997
    Mads1997 Posts: 1,494 Member
    Options
    I'm still not really seeing a difference after 42 lb. I know my clothes are smaller though.
  • jmjones66
    jmjones66 Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    I have noticed only subtle differences. I have gone from a size 26 to a 24. Receiving comments from others that have noticed the loss, is more gratifying than looking for the change in the mirror. Since I look at myself everyday, I know that I will not notice the change as quickly as I would like. Currently, I'm struggling with a plateau that seems like its lasting forever, but I'm not giving up!:noway:
  • Samerah12
    Samerah12 Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    I really didn't notice a big difference in the way I looked until 40 lbs down, just recently. I could see a difference in pictures when I was down about 25 or 30 lbs. I'm 5'7 and started at 225 for reference. Clothes don't lie though, you must be changing! Its a good idea to take measurements too, those can keep changing even when the scale doesn't, especially if you're getting more exercise than you were before.
  • FabiolaEnvy♥
    Options
    good job :)

when i got down to 220 from 250, i couldnt notice much... but i did notice that i was shrink a bit due to the pants were getting bigger and i was able to fit into my size 20 pants again :D
    but what helps me to notice more is measuring :)

it makes things a lot easier to know. where i have lost the inches and see how much of a number different it was from 250 to 220
    but i dont think ill notice a big different until i hit around 180-200
  • Christine1110
    Christine1110 Posts: 1,786 Member
    Options
    Congrats!! I think it is different for everyone....some people lose weight more in one spot. I think it is easier to tell then. I lost my weight more even, and people really didn't say anything to me until I was close to losing 50 pounds.
  • elliecolorado
    elliecolorado Posts: 1,040
    Options
    Thanks for the responses so far. Yes I measure, I have lost 4" around my hips (also the fattest part of my stomach) so I know that something is changing, just don't see it so far :-(
  • Aesop101
    Aesop101 Posts: 758 Member
    Options
    I think I noticed the big difference at about 63 lbs. I needed to lose 165 lbs. when I began. It was then I noticed how far my belly was from the steering wheel. They use to meet quite often.

There were smaller differences, pants size, tee shirts, belts, etc. The big one was the steering wheel. Makes me feel thin to jump in the jeep now.

How tall are you? That makes a difference. I would say you will see a big difference pretty soon since you are almost a 3rd of the way there.
  • NatalieWinning
    NatalieWinning Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the responses so far. Yes I measure, I have lost 4" around my hips (also the fattest part of my stomach) so I know that something is changing, just don't see it so far :-(

This is great!! I heard it described this way. If you take a big full roll of paper towels and rip off one you don't notice it getting smaller. As you get near the center and not as many paper towels left you rip off one and it makes a much more noticable difference. So if you have a lot to go, you will not notice it, even though it is substantial and changing you. Plus the health benefits are there! Especially with the belly fat going!

I had 50# to lose at the most. It's taking me a whole year! I'm getting over the hill of middle aged and it's harder to change my body, but still happening. I am also short 5'2". So losing 20lbs was a big difference in my frame, enough to get a couple new pants. by 30 I couldn't use my belt anymore and more clothes had to go. 40lbs and I had to get a whole new set of clothes! All the fat clothes are totally unusable! Even the lose jackets and my winter coat (which I had to change at 30# lost). Now at 43# down I hit the high end of normal BMI and the weight is twice as slow coming off with the same or more effort. Although it's working, and I know I can do it to the very end! My bike helmet didn't even fit this summer!

So can you if you got this far! It is worth it!! Take a lot of pictures every 10-20lbs and compare them side by side. The side by side really makes a difference. Different parts shrank at different times, too. You don't get to choose where you get skinny first, or what's last to go.
  • NatalieWinning
    NatalieWinning Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    [/quote]
    I had 50# to lose at the most. It's taking me a whole year! I'm getting over the hill of middle aged and it's harder to change my body, but still happening. I am also short 5'2". So losing 20lbs was a big difference in my frame, enough to get a couple new pants. by 30 I couldn't use my belt anymore and more clothes had to go. 40lbs and I had to get a whole new set of clothes! All the fat clothes are totally unusable! Even the lose jackets and my winter coat (which I had to change at 30# lost). Now at 43# down I hit the high end of normal BMI and the weight is twice as slow coming off with the same or more effort. Although it's working, and I know I can do it to the very end! My bike helmet didn't even fit this summer!
    [/quote]

BTW, people can be clueless. I was Obese BMI down to Normal BMI and people that havent seen me in a while have said "did you get your hair cut"? Or say "you weren't fat before!" Whatever! Truth is, you will intimidate some and they won't want to feel good about you doing well. It will make them feel like a slacker when they can't or won't change. Do it for you and health!
  • cenafan
    cenafan Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    I notice huge changes now (at 30ish pounds down). My stomach is flat again (always happens first) and now my hips are starting to go. People are really starting to notice.
  • megz4987
    megz4987 Posts: 1,008 Member
    Options
    Looking at myself every day, I don't see a difference. Pictures and clothing size help me realize that I look different/better.