Not losing weight

Wondering if anyone can help. I'm 34 and 114 pounds 5ft 2ins 33-25-38. As you can see a typical pearshape and like most im trying to trim down my bottom half. I get you can't spot reduce so I am planning on losing some fat. I am sticking to 1200 calories, i am working to these ratios 50%carbs, 30% fat and 20% protein, at the moment I am not hitting the fat one but exceeding protein. I am also doing the 30day shred dvd (day 22 today) but don't seem to be losing anything. What am I doing wrong?

Replies

• Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    You're at an ideal weight. Start lifting.
  • TheEats
    TheEats Posts: 49 Member
    Your BMI is already 20.8. I really do not recommend you aim for losing weight, but rather that you look to building muscle to transform your body somewhat that way.
  • sglanville81
    sglanville81 Posts: 5 Member
    Thanks for the responses. I can't get to a gym so are there any at home workouts you can recommend? Happy to buy equipment
  • TheEats
    TheEats Posts: 49 Member
    There are many exercises you can do with dumbbells, for example, but I am no expert on this aspect of fitness! Hopefully, someone will soon be along with some links for you :)
  • Mzsweetypye
    Mzsweetypye Posts: 30 Member
    Hi, im broad on top half and got big hips and i was told by a personal trainer that my 1200 cals a day was too low and to eat 1500, im eating chicken, Eggs etc and also doing strength training, doing squats with weights walking etc and im losing inchs, cals and my normally wobbly bum is more toned. And im seeing results. And for me, doing different exercises, from cardio, H.I.T, walking, having a lil dance in my bedroom etc is helping. Mix it up a lil and have fun doing it. I use to worry about cals, stress about not seeing results but now im eating healthy, mixing up my sessions and drinking loads of water, im seeing the results and I swear my hugggee hips are shrinking ☺ Anyway feel free to add me. And hope you soon start seeing results and keep at it never give up hun...
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Buy a bench set and start by looking into and doing 5 x5's.
  • hazeldixon89
    hazeldixon89 Posts: 32 Member
    1200 is too low really I found when I upped my calories to 1500 I started to lose weight especially if you are exercising really hard. Imagine ur body as the smart machine it is, if there is plenty of food it will know it doesnt have to hold onto what you have :)
  • Rachelmil
    Rachelmil Posts: 1 Member
    Hi. In the past year I have lost 43lbs and I am currently stuck at 150. I'm 36, 5'3". I workout 6 days a week and currently eat 1200-1300 calories a day. Trying to change to more of a clean diet but not there yet. I would like to be at 142. Any suggestions on what to switch up?
  • Mzsweetypye
    Mzsweetypye Posts: 30 Member
    Hi rachel, if your only eating 1200 cals and working out 6 dys a wk, your putting a strain on your body if your wanting to work out 6dys you need more cals, as by the sounds of it your losing way more cals than your body is receiving...
  • segacs
    segacs Posts: 4,599 Member
    Post in the fitness forum for some good advice. The short version is you'll want to eat at maintenance or a slight surplus, and lift heavy weights. There are some good beginner programs out there -- the people in the fitness forum will be able to steer you in the right direction. Some of them can be done at home, especially body weight exercises.

And embrace your pear shape. It's been shown in studies to be healthier. Plus, most men find it attractive!
  • sglanville81
    Thanks everyone for the advice, really appreciate it
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,808 Member
    1200 is too low really I found when I upped my calories to 1500 I started to lose weight especially if you are exercising really hard. Imagine ur body as the smart machine it is, if there is plenty of food it will know it doesnt have to hold onto what you have :)
    No, that's no how it works, but refocusing on diet can stimulate accuracy.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Liftng4Lis wrote: »
    You're at an ideal weight. Start lifting.

^^^. Compound lifts, squats, lunges, more squats ...basically pick up heavy stuff and put it down again..lots
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Thanks for the responses. I can't get to a gym so are there any at home workouts you can recommend? Happy to buy equipment

To start with ..try this http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2009/12/09/beginner-body-weight-workout-burn-fat-build-muscle/
  • sglanville81
    perfect thanks rabbitjb