still sore

Options
I have been walking on the treadmill just about everyday for a month. ( I was a total couch patato before this :( )as anyone else experienced being stiff afterwards. I get home from the gym and sit to log my food and exercise. When I go to stand up, UGH I am so stiff. I assume where my body hasn't done much of anything in yrs that this might be normal and will get better in time, but its been a month. I figured I'd feel sooooo much better by now. Thanks

Replies

• keynesian
    keynesian Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Are you doing your stretches and drinking some water when you come off the treadmill?
  • roxanne90
    roxanne90 Posts: 95
    Options
    I do drink water during and after.........as far as stretching No wow I don't do that. Thanks I'll try that for now on.
  • anubis609
    anubis609 Posts: 3,966 Member
    Options
    Very important to stretch after a light 5-minute warm-up, and right after a session. Stretching muscles while they're still active prevents them from becoming tightly sore. Also, don't stretch cold muscles. It may actually be counterproductive.
  • Josie50
    Josie50 Posts: 11
    Options
    HI Roxanne, I had this problem for a long time, and was tired of the soreness. I started drinking a protein drink as soon as I get home from exercising. The extra protein has helped my recovery ALOT. I still get a little sore, but now I am exercising up to 3 hours a day, and the sore now is the feeling of a good days work!
  • roxanne90
    Options
    thanks so much, I had no clue what was going on......so I will try stretching after I get off the treadmill. I think I may try these protein drinks you and others talk about also.
  • xraychick77
    xraychick77 Posts: 1,775 Member
    Options
    scientific studies have shown stretching does nothing to prevent DOMS.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/10407930

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/2489863

you are probably over doing it for what your body is used to. try cutting back the intensity of your workouts. to compesate for lost intensity just up the amount of time you workout. ice, elevation, rest, massage, asprin should help.
  • roxanne90
    Options
    thanks for everyones help with this. I did take it easy at the gym earlier. (went at slower pace with NO incline) I stretched, had water and actually had a protein shake after............I took everyones advice........hahaha :)