Potassium not showing up in many products

Options
Hey I am doing a low carb diet and many of the meats, fish and carnivorous type of foods are not showing any Potassium showing up. Any ideas why? or can it be fixed

Replies

• peacehawk
    peacehawk Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    If you are doing a low carb program, it is likely that you will need to supplement with potassium, since it is found in things like potatoes and bananas, etc. When I did the "protein power" program years ago, it talked very specifically about this defficiency.
  • busa_girl
    busa_girl Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    actually, potassium is in almost every food ad runs hand in hand with sodium ... you will probably find that the data wasnt entered into the product as the nutritional values on alot of packages dont show everything that is entered here ... i use a web site called self nutrition at http://nutritiondata.self.com/ for reference knowing that the information is very general. there are nutritional foods that are high is almost anything that you are missing and is not good to automatically go straight for a suppliment ... especially for potassium as some potassium suppliments can be quite heavily laced with it and is one nutrient, like sodium, you shouldnt have too much of.

i had trouble hitting targets too until i found some of the base data you should aim for set in this system can be higher than obtainable ... eg, poly and mono fats should never be 100, it should be a percentage calculation on your calorie intake. Potassium should aim for around 3500mg and a wonder food for this in kiwi fruit, so much higher in potassium than banana and potatoes. any fresh fruit or veg has potassium.

if your not sure or just starting or want to find what levels are right for you, i suggest a quick chat with a nutritionist that is into fresh unaltered foods and that way, you cant go wrong. :) good luck and am here if you want any help :)
  • P90XCertifiedCoach
    Options
    Yea I know I am getting plenty of Potassium, I just wanna be able to monitor it, thanks all.
  • Grokette
    Grokette Posts: 3,330 Member
    Options
    Hey I am doing a low carb diet and many of the meats, fish and carnivorous type of foods are not showing any Potassium showing up. Any ideas why? or can it be fixed

There are a lot of low carb foods, protein and veggies that are great sources of potassium...............supplements are not necessary..........

Here are the foods in order of potassium content:

1 cup yogurt – 573 mg potassium
    1 4 oz pork chop (boneless) – 514 mg
    1 cup cooked chopped broccoli – 458 mg
    ½ avocado – 436 mg
    ½ cup cooked spinach – 420 mg
    4 oz beef (sirloin) 495 mg
    4 oz grilled salmon – 480 mg
    1 cup chopped chicken breast meat – 358 mg
    2 Tablespoons tomato paste – 342 mg
    Dark chocolate is high in potassium
    1 cup raw cauliflower – 303 mg
    2 T peanut butter – 240 mg
    1 cup black tea - 88 mg
  • Grokette
    Grokette Posts: 3,330 Member
    Options
    If you are doing a low carb program, it is likely that you will need to supplement with potassium, since it is found in things like potatoes and bananas, etc. When I did the "protein power" program years ago, it talked very specifically about this defficiency.

Many people do not get this much potassium, mainly because they eat a lot of processed foods. A low carb diet should not be low in potassium since fresh foods, which are the mainstay of our diets, supply the most potassium. Good sources are meats, vegetables, some fruits, and dairy products.