Alcohol

Options
Why?

Why do I do it? I work hard all week, exercising, eating well, being uber-disciplined and then I go out and blow it all by drinking alcohol.

I have a confession to make...the six pack in my photo isn't real :(

Replies

• madeaprofile
    Options
    Ack! Same here! I'll eat clean, drink loads of water, be under my calorie intake every Monday-Friday... Then suddenly, it's a Friday or Saturday night and I've had 6 glasses (or more) of wine...
    If I'm going to drink, I'm going to stick to low carb/calories clear drinks like vodka and soda with a slice of lime.
    Any advice seasoned and successful MFP's...?
  • James_Holiday
    Options
    Wow!

You really love cats :)
    Ack! Same here! I'll eat clean, drink loads of water, be under my calorie intake every Monday-Friday... Then suddenly, it's a Friday or Saturday night and I've had 6 glasses (or more) of wine...
    If I'm going to drink, I'm going to stick to low carb/calories clear drinks like vodka and soda with a slice of lime.

Wow!

• nickatine
    nickatine Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    If it's that big of an issue and u enjoy drinking (I know I do) just fit it into your calories and macros for that day. I have a few everynight of the week.
  • Khukhullatus
    Khukhullatus Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    I definitely feel for you. I quit drinking for reasons other than getting in shape and it was crazy, I dropped thirty or forty pounds without even thinking about it. I had no idea how many extra calories the booze was, not to mention the midnight "screw it, lets order pizza," habit.
  • madeaprofile
    Options
    Wow!

Wow!

Haha, not *that* much (Essentially I had to submit a photo of myself for a contributor page of a publication and the other person in the image didn't want to be in it, so we covered them up with cats!
  • segacs
    segacs Posts: 4,599 Member
    Options
    LOL on the six-pack.

I think lots of people have the same problem where they eat well all week and then undo a week's worth of progress in one Friday or Saturday night out at the bar.

Alcohol does pack on a lot of empty calories and it tends to also lower judgment and inhibitions, so after one or two drinks, it's much easier to say, aw, screw it, I'll have another. Not to mention the greasy late night food that seems like a good idea when you're drunk but a terrible idea the next morning when you wake up with a hangover.

Personally I'm fine having just one drink and working it into my calories. But if it's tough for you, maybe consider going cold turkey on the alcohol for a bit, at least until you have a system worked out? There's no need to give up the booze forever (unless you're an alcoholic), but maybe try it for a couple of months? Just order diet soda or sparkling water at the bar instead, see how you go?
  • segacs
    segacs Posts: 4,599 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Double post
  • HeySwoleSister
    HeySwoleSister Posts: 1,938 Member
    Options
    Why?

Why do I do it? I work hard all week, exercising, eating well, being uber-disciplined and then I go out and blow it all by drinking alcohol.

I have a confession to make...the six pack in my photo isn't real :(

I'm not the type to salivate over a mans abs, but you are the one exception.
  • pdwhitlock
    pdwhitlock Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I switched to Michelin ultra or miller lite beer and vodka with crystal light for a while and logged it. The problem was, that I never felt like working out the next day and when I was drinking, I would get hungry. So I haven't drank in over two weeks. Not that I would say I "quit", I'm just enjoying my healthy choices more. I would say stear clear of the wine and switch to something lighter and in moderation.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    vodka water with lemon …

or …..

just drink less...
  • CallMeRuPaul
    CallMeRuPaul Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    or workout more!
  • jpaulie
    jpaulie Posts: 917 Member
    Options
    Pick your poison
    One, alcohol’s a poison. Two, while it can increase aggression (a positive, depending on the sport) it can also adversely affect coordination, planning, and execution of movement. And three, it’s a powerful diuretic, so it depletes your water volume, much of which your body takes from your blood plasma. “As a result,” explains Professor Stuart Phillips of McMaster University’s Exercise Metabolism Research Group, “your heart beats faster and harder in order to maintain heart blood output.”
  • Aemely
    Aemely Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    I make it a rule to never have more than 1 glass of wine/beer socially and to only drink on non-"school" nights (Fri./Sat.) immediately before bed so I limit the caloric damage. Drinking definitely lowers inhibitions so I find it's best to either moderate or eliminate...