Headache

Options
beets4us
beets4us Posts: 57 Member
I started dieting on Tuesday. Since then, I've had terrible headaches. I've been hydrating and have not cut out caffeine. I'm not at a significantly low deficit (goal is 1480/day). Has this happened to anyone? What helped for you?

Replies

• neveragain84
    neveragain84 Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    Headaches as in one long headache since Tuesday or a lot of smaller headaches? Have you taken anything for it?
  • beets4us
    Options
    A lot of smaller headaches, which I take ibuprofen for (sometimes that works, sometimes it doesn't). Had one migraine that was so bad it woke me up from sleeping, which I took Imitrex for.
  • neveragain84
    Options
    Are you eating anything different? Can you open your diary? How frequently are you eating?
  • beets4us
    Options
    Okay, it should be open. Thanks for taking a look. Today was an unusual day for me because I took advantage of restaurant week in Berkeley and had a massive lunch, but the rest of the week is pretty typical.

Even though I am not at a large deficit for my body weight (~20% lower than TDEE), I am eating far less calories than usual. I also cut out sweets.
  • beets4us
    Options
    Also, I am not eating anything completely new. But I am eating larger portions of the healthy stuff than usual.
  • neveragain84
    Options
    slkehl90 wrote: »
    Also, I am not eating anything completely new. But I am eating larger portions of the healthy stuff than usual.

Forgot to ask: are you prone to migraines?

Are you weighing and measuring everything? I noticed a lot of items listed in grams, but other foods were just listed as "half." A general FYI: it'll be easier if you're consistently weighing and measuring your food and drink.

As for your headaches, I don't know. It could be a lot of things. I have a friend with a food allergy who says she gets really bad headaches from eating her trigger food. It could also be that your body is reacting to the change in diet, especially if you were consuming a lot of sweets. Or again, it depends on if you're prone to migraines.

If it doesn't get better with meds, then I'd ask your doctor.

• 135by60
    135by60 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I've had headache and migraine issues all my life. I think menopause has made them worse.

I avoid high protein foods when I have a headache as it makes it much worse. Could that be happening with you? I can't eat cheese or peanut butter or nuts when I have a headache or it gets much worse. Sugary stuff is a big trigger too. Juice, too many hard candies, frosting, things like that.

I recently started taking magnesium supplements and its made a really big difference. The migraines are much less frequent and less severe when I do get them. I take 50mg a day or take two every few days. I also make a point of drinking at least 8 oz of water every hour and keeping my blood sugar levels even by snacking throughout the day rather than 3 large meals.