Starting to believe I'm not meant to lose weight...

Options
So for about a year I've been on a plateau. I lose and gain the same 3-5 pounds. I am working out like a fiend....most days 2 workouts a day in addition to keeping up with two kids, a husband and 3 acres of land. I am eating around 2000 calories a day. I start to get excited when my weight goes down, but then discouraged when it goes back up. I've tried weighing once a week and it's the same few numbers every week. I did the P90X lean, and can't even say I lost any weight because I'm still yo-yo-ing aroung the same numbers. I'm in the first week of the classic routine now....and ready to give up. I mean why bother? I'm killing myself and not getting any results. What more can I do? Zig Zag calories? tried it. Eat more calories? tried it. Eat less calories? tried it. Eat every 2-3 hours? tried it. Eat low carb? tried it. Eat low fat? tried it. So tell me what more can I do? I feel I eat well and I should be happy that I'm not gaining but I'm sick of being overweight. I guess God intends for certain people in this world to be skinny and I'm just not one of them. Is this something I just need to accept?

Replies

• SlowlyLosingLolita
    SlowlyLosingLolita Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I know how you feel about being stuck.
    I had been stuck for years until recently. It can be a huge bummer, especially when you know you're doing everything right. Don't get discouraged, though! Have you tried talking to your doctor? Maybe there's something you're missing that he can catch.
  • missy1970eb
    missy1970eb Posts: 1,209 Member
    Options
    what type of food u eating, have u lost any inches?:smile:
  • EmmaShorter
    EmmaShorter Posts: 298
    Options
    I feel your pain. Losing weight is never easy. I certainly don't lose it in the same speed as i put it on if i stray off course. Are you drinking enough water? Are you measuring yourself? Maybe the inches are coming off first? Do you tend to eat late at night? Do you suffer with bad digestion?
  • EmmaShorter
    Options
    Also maybe you have a food intolerance? Like gluten or wheat? Try getting this checked on.
  • skinnybitchmassicotte
    Options
    I feel the same way, I have plateaued for about 1 and 1/2 years and seemed like I have tried everything. If I add anything else to my diet and exercise, then I won't be enjoying my lifestyle. I understand your frustration and I am also hoping to get some ideas from your post.. sorry I couldn't help you!!
  • lnadeau66
    lnadeau66 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    Hey, I just noticed that you're are the same height and started at the same weight and have the same goals as I do. Traditionally, I always hit the same numbers for my plateaus, this time I am exercising more than ever, mostly cardio, and trying to stick to that 1200 cal diet, and no I try not to eat back my calories. I exercise daily, even if it's a half hour walk, and this seems to be helping. Also, if you are eating back your calories, do you have a HRM, that will give you a better idea as to how many calories you are burning? I got into trouble one week by going with my treadmill, which is wayyyyy off. Hang in There, your body may not want to give up that weight, but you CAN DO THIS! Lynn:flowerforyou:
  • hot_yoga_lover
    Options
    I am having the same problem. I only eat around 1200 calories a day and typically eat back between 200 and 700, depending on how much I work out. I am faithfully logging every bite and every exercise. And every night MFP tells me that I should "weigh X in 5 weeks" and I am still like 7 lbs above that! It's SO frustrating! I have tried not eating back the calories, whihc is OK On the 200 days, but on the 700 I want to tear my own arm off and eat it, and I know that's not helping anything.

At my heaviest I was 200 lbs (5' 4") and even though I am OK ith my weight now, I have a number in mind that I have always wanted to hit and I just can't get there. It makes me want to throw in the towel!

Sorry that I don't have any words of wisdon, maybe someone will read this who can give us both some advice! It is just so darn frustrating. :( BUT - You're not alone, my friend!

Can anyone give us some hope?!?!?!?!
  • WolffEarl
    WolffEarl Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    Two things come to mind here.
    First of all, Lucky you, you have been able to maintain your weight, unlike so many of us who balloon right up again after some time of inactivity. Secondly, it might be worthwhile for you to consider changes in other measurements or even better fitness goals. I bet, with all that exercising you have been doing, you can maybe run further, faster, lift more weights, do more push ups, squats, throw bales, wrestle horses, pull out weeds, than ever before. Those are more important than some number on the scale.
    You said "I'm killing myself and not getting any results". Surely all that exercise is getting results (if nothing else than keeping your body in fine form, no matter how heavy). Not sure that the same simple number formula (height of X = ideal weight of Y) is meant to be true for all women or men, way too many body type, muscle mass density variations for that. Many super fit football players would otherwise be considered way overweight. You might also be exrcising too much?
    I was going to suggest to look at the types of food you eat (open Diary?) but you seem to know exactly what you are doing there.
    For all you know you might not be overweight, just supremely muscular superwoman (no wonder with that much workout, kids, etc on your plate):)
  • sixfeetunder
    Options
    If you are doing this much exercise and have been doing it for a year you are almost certainly much leaner than you were a year ago if not lighter. 2 workouts a day + having kids = phenomenal energy expenditure (depending on what it is you are defining as a workout of course)

A lot of women your height might only eat 1200 calories a day to lose weight. Have you tried that and reducing your exercise to maybe 3 x 45 minute workouts per week? I know you have said you have tried everything but have you tried maintaining this for say 3 months at a time? Are you CERTAIN that you are recording every single calorie accurately? (personally I overestimate by 10% on most things I eat) As part of a family 'cheat' days are almost inevitable. If you have days where you have to overindulge, by how much are you overindulging?

You shouldn't need to feel like you are killing yourself either. Provided calorie intake < calorie expenditure it is almost physically impossible not to lose weight. The best tip I ever had from someone for steady weight loss was that if you aren't feeling well, happy and healthy then your regime is wrong. A gentle hunger before meal time should be the extent of your suffering.
  • Ourjobasparents
    Ourjobasparents Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Whatever you do, please don't give up. By any chance are you taking any medications that may cause weight gain? I am taking 4 blood pressure meds and a pill for depression and anxiety and they all made me gain 60 pounds in 3 months. I didn't know what was going on until I researched them a little. Just keep up the good work. Trying is better than not. With doing everything that you say you are doing and eating well, just the point of you getting your body healthier than not doing anything and eating badly is sometimes just enough. Hugs XXXXXXX <3:flowerforyou:
  • catcrazy
    catcrazy Posts: 1,740 Member
    Options
    Obviously 2000 must be around your maintenence level as you have stayed the same for a year.

What calories have you tried...and how long did you try them for. When I first started I tried 1500-1800 calories for 4 months...was still gaining 3lb a month. I then tried 1200-1500 for another 4 months and my weight stabilised, nothing lost nothing gained.

2000 calories seems pretty high to be trying to lose weight on especially for someone of your height. Try 1500 calories, 100% commitment for at least 2 months but preferably longer. Get a HRM to be more accurate in your exercise burn.
  • jlsAhava
    jlsAhava Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    Without seeing your food diary, it's difficult to offer any truly helpful suggestions.

In general, though, I would suggest focusing on the QUALITY of the food your eating. Make sure you're getting in enough fruits and veges, and try to stay away from fast foods and processed foods. They can be a real diet killer. They're packed with sodium and sugars. Sodium is great for water retention and diet sabotage, and sugar, in all of its many highly processed forms is another great way to keep the pounds around. Also processed foods doesn't provide the same quality vitamins and minerals that fruits and veges do. By their names - ie. blueberry something or other - they try to make you believe the food contains fruits or vegetables, but a lot of the time it's just a chemical flavoring. The products are enriched with vitamins and minerals, but the body can't process these nearly as effectively as it processes the real thing.

Maybe go see a nutritionist... they could probably provide some great insight into what you should be eating.

Without double checking, I'm guessing that 160 lbs for 5'1" is still in the obese range (I know I was when I was 160lbs @ 4'11"). Your body is not in a healthy place right now, and sooner or later you'll feel the repercussions.

Whatever you do, stick with it! You can do this!

I hope this helps. Best of luck with your journey!
  • LillysGranny
    LillysGranny Posts: 431
    Options
    You may want to talk to your doctor and maybe get a referral to a dietitian. There are so many things that could be going on in your body that it would be hard for anyone to just guess, especially since it looks like you're doing everything right. If you do go to the doc, you should post anything that seems relevant since you are not alone in your stuckness!
  • alison2429
    alison2429 Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    Two things come to mind here.
    First of all, Lucky you, you have been able to maintain your weight, unlike so many of us who balloon right up again after some time of inactivity. Secondly, it might be worthwhile for you to consider changes in other measurements or even better fitness goals. I bet, with all that exercising you have been doing, you can maybe run further, faster, lift more weights, do more push ups, squats, throw bales, wrestle horses, pull out weeds, than ever before. Those are more important than some number on the scale.
    You said "I'm killing myself and not getting any results". Surely all that exercise is getting results (if nothing else than keeping your body in fine form, no matter how heavy). Not sure that the same simple number formula (height of X = ideal weight of Y) is meant to be true for all women or men, way too many body type, muscle mass density variations for that. Many super fit football players would otherwise be considered way overweight. You might also be exrcising too much?
    I was going to suggest to look at the types of food you eat (open Diary?) but you seem to know exactly what you are doing there.
    For all you know you might not be overweight, just supremely muscular superwoman (no wonder with that much workout, kids, etc on your plate):)

You say it best WolfEarl!! WTG.
  • lottanorde
    lottanorde Posts: 25
    Options
    As a rule of thumb, 2000 calories a day for a woman are too much calories to loose weight. Generally, a woman should not eat more than 1500 calories a day in order to loose weight, and if most calories are gained from eating unprocessed foods, complex carbohydrates, fruit and vegetables, and protein, there should be results.

I have a busy lifestyle with two kids, walk or bike ride to do all my errands, and work out 4x week for about 40 mins. I allow myself 1200 calories and log walking, cycling and workouts to allow myself extra calories. Even if I log the exercise, I try not to eat more than 1700 calories. I have lost 20pounds this way and it took me a year.
    Hope this help a bit. Good Luck! Add me as a friend if you like for supporting each other further!
  • JunkFoodJane
    JunkFoodJane Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Catcrazy's comment that you are likely on maintenance calories at the moment makes sense.

I can't see your diary, but I would recommend looking at getting 7 vegetable servings (full servings, even double of the same items if you can, I try to eat 2x steamed cauliflower for example) or more a day, and shooting for a lot of fiber.

I've been stuck for a while- I was eating what should have been maintenance calories earlier in the year and lost some weight, then I started dipping my intake down a bit (when losing stopped) and adding exercise and gained gained gained. I started out aiming for 14 pounds loss and now have 21 or so to lose.

BUT! This week I've been taking it easier on the exercise (more relaxed, 3mph walking) and eating a TON of food but ending the days under my calorie goals by ~500, including tons of grilled and steamed veggies, and I may finally be losing some weight. 3 pounds in a week! I'm not getting excited yet, because I really need to lose around 7 to feel like I'm succeeding. I'm also eating 40+ grams of fiber. 50 will really upset my stomach, I feel best at 40-45.

I'm also filling my food diary ahead of time so that I know what I am going to eat and how many calories it comes out to. I may not always eat everything in the order I put it there- sometimes I take this or that from dinner and put it into lunch, or I leave my banana out of breakfast and have it as a snack- but it does help to say, 'I'm hungry' or even 'I feel snacky' and look at my list to see what I haven't eaten. Then I get to say, 'Oh, I need to eat that grapefruit!' and it helps me a lot.

In fact, I think that's the biggest change I've made this week. Deciding to fill out my diary the night before. It definitely helps with overcoming weak moments!
  • littlemili
    littlemili Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    Losing weight is just a numbers game unless you have a physical issue which needs to be diagnosed and treated. Assuming that's not the case (and you should certainly check that out to be sure)...

Either 2000 calories is more than you need
    Or you aren't trying new things for long enough
    Or you need to try different kinds of exercise that your body hasn't tried before

I am also 5'1 and I only need to eat 1200 a day. I have a net intake of 800-1200 per day and am losing steadily at just over 1lb per week. 2000 calories is roughly maintenance mode for an average size woman. If you are short and trying to lose, the maths suggests you should be taking in considerably less. If you eat 1200 a day for 2 weeks and exercise moderately including cardio and strength, and don't lose weight, you should see a doctor as clearly something in your body isn't working quite 100%. We are all told 3500 calories = 1lb, so if you track yourself and there is no sign of this happening then you need to look at potential problems. But really, I think if you cut your calories back to a number around what everyone who is losing at your height consumes, you will find the scales start to move.
  • littlemili
    littlemili Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    Also you should get your body fat % measured. If you really do work out that much maybe you just have a lot of lean muscle mass and your body fat is healthy. In which case you don't need to lose weight. You can get it measured at any doctor surgery.
  • EmmaShorter
    Options
    OK I am a little confused now. Say I don't exercise then I should eat 1200 calories. If I were to exercise and earn 900 calories taking my total calories to consume to 2100 cals. Now if I were to eat all of these back at 5 foot 5 would I most likely maintain? Do I need to only eat up to 1700 say?
  • vanfox23
    vanfox23 Posts: 110
    Options
    Thanks for the encouragement and suggestions. I do have a HRM and I manually log all my exercise. I'm doing P90X which is a pretty intense workout and is why I'm eating so much. I'm burning between 800 and 1000 calories a day and don't really want to back off of that because I am loving the way it makes me feel. I was eating 1200-1500 calories for most of that year and only recently upped it to1800- 2000 on other suggestions that I was in starvation mode. And yes, I can do things that I couldn't before. I've noticed other little changes. I mean I'm building muscle and that, eventually, will take over the fat right? I am lifting 12.5 lb dumbbells now up from the 5-7 range... I just don't understand why this isn't reflected on the scale. I don't have any food intolerances and only on one medication for BP at a very low dose. I can't afford to see a nutritionist, dietitian or personal trainer. So you all are all I have. I appreciate everyone of your responses and I'm glad to see I'm not alone. You all have brightened my day so thank you!