Color run prep

Options
I'm getting ready for a March 5k color run...recommendations on how to prep?

Replies

• Robbnva
    Robbnva Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    Warrior.dash is not the.same as color run, just do the couch to 5k program.. It worked for me
  • carolinaem
    carolinaem Posts: 58 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Couch to 5k is fine. There will be a lot of walkers and the race is not timed. It is more about the experience.
  • flabassmcgee
    flabassmcgee Posts: 659 Member
    Options
    Yep, currently training for my first Color Run in April! I'll be on Day Two of Week Two of C25K tomorrow. It's hard, but it helps build my endurance. :)

Make sure you get good quality, fitted running shoes!
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    Prep for actual running, or for the aftermath of a color run? :p

Definitely look into c25k if you're new to running - there are many free apps out there.

As for the run itself - wear white everything of course, and if you carry your phone, pop it in a ziploc bag if it doesn't have an airtight case on it - that powdery color gets EVERYWHERE! And a couple of the color stations in the race I did sprayed liquid color, so beware of that for phones & cameras.

I wore a white cotton tank, and the color pretty much all washed out of it, but wear stuff you won't mind getting stained, just in case. The inside of my white watchband is still pink 3 years later though.

Bring towels or sheets or something to wipe yourself off with and to protect the seats in your car for the trip home. At my color run there were people in the parking lot with a gas leaf blower, blowing the color off of each other - quick and effective! LOL

And have fun! It's a fun atmosphere, the race generally isn't timed, and you'll see people of all abilities out there having a blast!
  • NJL13500
    NJL13500 Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    You will have so much fun at the color run. None of the ones that I have participated in have been timed. If you have blonde hair, be sure to cover it. I wore a hat. One of my friends had green hair for a few weeks. The powder gets EVERYWHERE-inside ears and toes. Don't wear anything that you want to keep "safe". Enjoy!
  • jbee27
    jbee27 Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    C25K is great for beginning runners, if you want a running plan.

I did the color run last year and had a blast. However, the amount of running you will actually do depends greatly upon the course they establish in your city, and how wide it is. This is a popular fun run, and there will be tons of walkers, and children. This is not a race to run for time, because you will be slowed down by the crowd at some point!

Like other posters have said, make sure you bring a towel or two to protect your car seats, and be prepared to be somewhat "dyed" if you sweat a lot, I think I had a blue dye "tramp stamp" for a couple days. :smiley:
  • jbowers1978
    jbowers1978 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the great ideas!
  • runner359
    runner359 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Color runs are meant to be fun, non-competitive runs. They aren't timed and its not a race so just keep training and have fun!
  • sunglasses_and_ocean_waves
    Options
    AmyRhubarb wrote: »
    Prep for actual running, or for the aftermath of a color run? :p

Definitely look into c25k if you're new to running - there are many free apps out there.

As for the run itself - wear white everything of course, and if you carry your phone, pop it in a ziploc bag if it doesn't have an airtight case on it - that powdery color gets EVERYWHERE! And a couple of the color stations in the race I did sprayed liquid color, so beware of that for phones & cameras.

I wore a white cotton tank, and the color pretty much all washed out of it, but wear stuff you won't mind getting stained, just in case. The inside of my white watchband is still pink 3 years later though.

Bring towels or sheets or something to wipe yourself off with and to protect the seats in your car for the trip home. At my color run there were people in the parking lot with a gas leaf blower, blowing the color off of each other - quick and effective! LOL

And have fun! It's a fun atmosphere, the race generally isn't timed, and you'll see people of all abilities out there having a blast!

This. Also keep your eyes open for deals. Last year I registered my son & I on Mother's Day when it was "Moms register free" day. Yes!