Healthy ways to add iron and calcium?

Options
I am consistently low on iron and calcium. What are some healthy foods I can add?

Replies

• LaLa_Ventura
    LaLa_Ventura Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Almond milk is loaded with calcium. Iron... im not so sure besides a multi-vitamin.
  • MakePeasNotWar
    MakePeasNotWar Posts: 1,329 Member
    Options
    Soybeans are a good source of iron. Calcium can be found in almonds and some greens.

A tip for better iron absorption is to eat iron sources with vitamin C containing food, and not with tannins (found in tea, coffee, and red wine)
  • RealLifeDaria
    RealLifeDaria Posts: 22 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Dark leafy greens are a great source of iron! 1 serving will usually have somewhere around 35% of your RDA, and is very low calorie, making it easy to fit in.
  • lishie_rebooted
    lishie_rebooted Posts: 2,973 Member
    Options
    iron: red meat, eggs, spinach

calcium: dairy

or take a supplement after a discussion with your dr
  • Nekrachael
    Nekrachael Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Depends on what you consider "healthy" Some people don't think of animal products as healthy while I don't believe in supplements. Personally, I'd go the green, red meat, raw milk route which might be utterly repugnant to someone else. If you do a search on "high iron foods" or "calcium rich foods" or the like, you'll get pretty extensive lists that include amounts of nutrients in each.
  • naoxxx
    naoxxx Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I've heard that although dark green veg is high in iron it's harder to absorb than that found in red meat. Venison is a brilliant source of iron especially when trying to lose weight because it's incredibly low fat and is very rich in iron. I'm on the 5:2 diet and often have venison pan fried with no oil when I have few calories to use, it fills me up for ages. I sound like I'm from the venison promotion board :D
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    naoxxx wrote: »
    I've heard that although dark green veg is high in iron it's harder to absorb than that found in red meat. Venison is a brilliant source of iron especially when trying to lose weight because it's incredibly low fat and is very rich in iron. I'm on the 5:2 diet and often have venison pan fried with no oil when I have few calories to use, it fills me up for ages. I sound like I'm from the venison promotion board :D

I've never heard that. interesting.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    iron: red meat, eggs, spinach

calcium: dairy

or take a supplement after a discussion with your dr

Or green leafy veg for the calcium as well.

Out of curiosity I plugged in my breakfast and lunch for today and I'm at about the halfway mark for both calcium and iron. Entirely plants so far today.