My own form of HIIT training at home with elliptical....opinions please.

Options
I was doing 60 minutes of elliptical 3-4 times a week for months and didn't get any results! Maybe my heart is stronger but that's about it. I read that I needed to add strength training. Since I really hate gyms, this is my new routine, let me know if you think it's good or not and why not?

I do 30-45 minutes on the elliptical on level 4 (not easy, not hard). Every few minutes, I get off the machine and do at least 10 different exercises. Basically I do as many crunches, squats, burpees, planks, push ups I can during my short elliptical breaks.....you get the idea. Then get right back on and continue with elliptical until all 10 exercises are done. No weights yet, that's coming later when I'm stronger. Right now I'm focusing on quantity of strength exercises vs. adding weights.

I've been doing this about 2 weeks and although I've only lost 1 lb, I do feel toner & my pants fit a bit better than they did 2 weeks ago.

Thoughts, tips very much appreciated!!!

Replies

• rejectuf
    rejectuf Posts: 487 Member
    Options
    You should consider looking up a bodyweight training routine and just do that along with your normal elliptical stuff.

Or if you have the cash, P90x or similar programs are pretty great too.
  • MrsMizart
    MrsMizart Posts: 1,275 Member
    Options
    Sorry, can't advise, but on the other hand I do like the sound of it, so will try something similar :-)
  • asilva66
    asilva66 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the P90x suggestions as I know they work but I can't do any videos. My elliptical is in my family room (only place I'll actually use it) and hubby will not give up the TV remote for anything!!! I printed a bunch of exercises and mixed them up so that I never do the same exercises 2 days in a row. While he's watching mindless TV after dinner, I'm getting in my workout, and even getting a few laughs during Big Bank Theory. :)

Yes my elliptical is an eyesore in my family room but I don't care. My workout is more important to me so its where it belongs! :wink:
  • asilva66
    Options
    Any thoughts why this routine may not work? I don't want to spend months on this routine with no results again.
  • karlsantiago
    karlsantiago Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    try increasing the resistance on the elliptical, it should be hard, and make sure you are sweating a lot...then you will most likely increase weight lose, but half a pound a week is good!
  • karlsantiago
    karlsantiago Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    asilva66 wrote: »
    Thanks for the P90x suggestions as I know they work but I can't do any videos. My elliptical is in my family room (only place I'll actually use it) and hubby will not give up the TV remote for anything!!! I printed a bunch of exercises and mixed them up so that I never do the same exercises 2 days in a row. While he's watching mindless TV after dinner, I'm getting in my workout, and even getting a few laughs during Big Bank Theory. :)

Yes my elliptical is an eyesore in my family room but I don't care. My workout is more important to me so its where it belongs! :wink:

big bang theory is the best show ever! haha
  • rejectuf
    rejectuf Posts: 487 Member
    Options
    Nothing wrong with your routine really. You could probably just get better results looking up and following an established bodyweight routine. I don't have a lot of experience with them, but I have seen Convict Conditioning recommended on this site before.
  • asilva66
    Options
    Oh I can tell you I sweat up a storm! My hair is even soaked which is a very new thing for me. I do as many crunches as I can, as many squats, etc in between. May try level 5 on elliptical to see if that helps with weight loss.

I got the idea watching a trainer on the Today show a while back. He suggested runners stop several times during their run to do different exercises. I'm not a runner, so I came up with this for me. It really breaks up the boring routine too so I'm actually enjoying it.

Yes, I definitely do not mind Big Bank Theory during my workouts! Beats a guy in a video telling you to do more crunches! hahaha
  • asilva66
    Options
    I think my question is, am i better off to do just elliptical one day, and calesthenics another day or should I keep doing both during the same workout as described? I just want to get the most bang or my buck! Thanks for any help you can give me!