Harder to lose weight the second time around??

Options
Hello everyone! I previously went from 200 to 150 pounds. Last year I lost motivation and gained majority of it back due to not working out or eating healthy. I've been trying to lose weight again and it seems harder to get in shape the 2nd time around. Has anyone else had experience with this? Any motivation or advice would greatly be appreciated :)

Replies

• queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    It shouldn't be harder. Losing weight is all about calories in vs. calories out. Start tracking food in your diary, log honestly and accurately. Start using a food scale so you can get good at eyeballing when you reach maintenance phase. Weigh everything solid (oatmeal, apples, meats). You have done this before and you can do this again. Best wishes!!
  • A_mariiee
    A_mariiee Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much @queenliz99‌ I hope this app helps me to see how much I am really eating and gain motivation from people like you! :)
  • crystalberries426
    Options
    I feel the same. I gained 60 pounds when I had my son. I lost it, got down to 140. Now he's 11 and I'm up to 202. Seems impossible to do it again now that I'm 10 years older
  • calyspencer
    calyspencer Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Ladies add me as a friend. I am "new"- a re-start. I need to lose abt 60lbs. It is hard- believe me I've tried everything. But we can change our habits & we can do this! 2015 is my year to get to my goal!
  • operationfitemily
    Options
    You can always loose weight again! You just have to stay focused on your goals. It can be hard sometimes but consistency is key! Track everything and weigh your food and remember proper portion sizes! I follow the iifym system (if it fits your macros) good luck!
  • madrose0715
    madrose0715 Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    The way to lose weight (consistent calorie deficit) does not change regardless of how many times you have to do it. The 'hard' part is purely a mental challenge (that generally requires a change of perspective and thought patterns) unless of course there is an underlying medical issue that affects weight loss this time around.
  • 333krissy
    333krissy Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Ladies add me as a friend. I am "new"- a re-start. I need to lose abt 60lbs. It is hard- believe me I've tried everything. But we can change our habits & we can do this! 2015 is my year to get to my goal!
    You can add me
  • A_mariiee
    Options
    I'm doing the same thing I did before when I lost weight the first time but not seeing the same results. That's why I thought maybe it's just harder the second time, but after seeing everyone's response I've realized Instead maybe I'm underestimating how hard I really worked to lose the initial weight and need to step my game up :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:
  • A_mariiee
    Options

You are absolutely right! Best wishes!
  • A_mariiee
    Options
    You can always loose weight again! You just have to stay focused on your goals. It can be hard sometimes but consistency is key! Track everything and weigh your food and remember proper portion sizes! I follow the iifym system (if it fits your macros) good luck!

I've never heard of this system before?
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    mentally it can be more difficult...but not physically.

When I lost all of my initial weight I was extremely dedicated to logging and was very consistent in hitting my goals. I purposely put on about 15 Lbs from Sept through the holidays for lifting purposes and I'm in a slow cut now...it is more difficult this time around for me largely because before I was losing weight and doing things largely for my health...this time it's just trying to get down to a certain BF% for aesthetics so there are definitely days where I'm like, "meh...beer me"...so I'm losing, but much slower and less consistently than I was during my first go around.
  • Lrdoflamancha
    Lrdoflamancha Posts: 1,280 Member
    Options
    As you age.... Yes weight loss gets harder... But that being said as you age decades not weeks.
  • emi1997
    emi1997 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I feel the same. I gained 60 pounds when I had my son. I lost it, got down to 140. Now he's 11 and I'm up to 202. Seems impossible to do it again now that I'm 10 years older

I definitely found it harder after each child - metabolism can change after a pregnancy, depending upon how active you were during it, as well weight loss being harder with each passing decade (apparently we need to eat 10% fewer calories each decade we age, and I certainly was eating more and not less!). Pre-kids, if I wanted to lose weight, I just walked a little more and lost it... still ate the same. After baby no. 1, I had to go to the gym and diet. After no. 2, it was even tougher - had to be super strict with diet and went to the gym lots. But I still lost 20kg. I then gained the lot back during a close family illness, and only now am I losing it, 8 years on. I think I got demoralised each time I tried because of the long time it took to actually see progress. I have now lost 6kg and that is very motivating, but it took over 2 weeks before I actually saw any progress at all. But it can be done, and I am proof of that, as are many millions of others. Running helps hugely... I used to mess about at the gym, but now run instead for half an hour, albeit slowly! Speeds things up no end.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,610 Member
    Options
    Age matters, but not one year. It progressively happens. Most of the time it's harder for some the 2nd time around, is because they aren't either as strict or aware of intake. This especially happens if it's a diet plan that they couldn't stick with.
    It's also the way that many diet programs make their money..................on returning business from failed sustaining.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • radmack
    radmack Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    Generally - as you age your metabolism does slow down. So if you're older than last time, you may have to go with fewer calories. I think building muscles and exercising is key - otherwise you really don't get to eat very much you get older.