15g of Trans Fat... what?

Options
So I just ate what is called the "Beef tenderette" from Tops and I looked at the package and it says it has 15g of trans fat!!! How is this possible? lol Am I going to be okay? I've never seen a food have more than 1.5g let alone 15g! Holy *kitten*!

Replies

• routehero
    routehero Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I actually feel your arteries objecting.
  • williams969
    williams969 Posts: 2,528 Member
    Options
    Holy Batman, that's a lot of trans fat! I ain't afraid of nuthin' food wise, but that doesn't sound like food. Even my arteries have all hardened by looking up the nutrition info on that, lol! Surely there's a decimal missing (1.5g sounds legit for this type of thing, but not 15g).
  • Psychgrrl
    Psychgrrl Posts: 3,177 Member
    Options
    Is it a processed food? How close to the beginning of the ingredients is the hydrogenated oil? And how many hydrogenated oils did they use? Yikes!
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,151 Member
    Options
    laughs. What is it a deep fried twinkie?
  • missiontofitness
    missiontofitness Posts: 4,074 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    So far I've only found a MFP entry with one confirmation. I don't know if I would trust it entirely. Did you see nutritional information on the package, or can you find the nutritional information for the brand online?

Edit: Oops, missed the part about reading the package!
    Welp, if it is indeed right, looks like you have to decide whether or not it's a good item to fit into your intake in the future!
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    If that's accurate...I'd say there's a "bad" food.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    I think someone entered the information incorrectly. A couple of weeks ago I logged some gelato without looking and it claimed 30g of protein per serving instead of 3. If my gelato had that kind of protein I'd be eating it more than once per day.
  • missiontofitness
    Options
    I think someone entered the information incorrectly. A couple of weeks ago I logged some gelato without looking and it claimed 30g of protein per serving instead of 3. If my gelato had that kind of protein I'd be eating it more than once per day.

I missed it initially, but the OP said they saw the packaging.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options

I missed it initially, but the OP said they saw the packaging.

Oops, my mistake. :blush:

Well, in that case I got nothing. Sometimes I have wondered if packages have typos too though. Most brands of frozen lima beans say 110-120 calories per 85 grams but there's one brand that claims 60 calories for the same amount.
  • WatchJoshLift
    WatchJoshLift Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    Psh, it's nothing. :smiley:
  • segacs
    segacs Posts: 4,599 Member
    Options
    There are mistakes on packages sometimes, too. But life's too short to stress about them.

If you typically eat zero or almost zero trans fats, don't worry about it -- even if it's accurate, once won't kill you.

If it's something you eat daily or regularly, you may want to research it a bit to see if it really is that high in trans fats. A quick check of the company's website, or, failing that, emailing the company, should take care of it.
  • NK1112
    NK1112 Posts: 781 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    I wonder if the beef is infused with partially hydrogenated oil to make it 'tender' like a beef tenderloin would be? Tops doesn't have nutritional info on their website ... if you still have the package, look at the ingredient list.
  • HashtagRob
    HashtagRob Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I didn't go shopping that day, I would have never picked an item with trans fat lol. Sadly I didn't look at the ingredients though I should have! Thanks for the replies though, I'm still in shock with the amount of trans fat in that meat.
  • SergeantSausage
    SergeantSausage Posts: 1,673 Member
    Options
    You'll be passing Kerosene and Deisel for the next three days. Maybe even fuel the first manned rocket to Mars with the waste excretia from that snack.

I'd avoid too many more of those if I were you.
  • missiontofitness
    Options
    You'll be passing Kerosene and Deisel for the next three days. Maybe even fuel the first manned rocket to Mars with the waste excretia from that snack.

I'd avoid too many more of those if I were you.

He can solve the energy crisis!